Formula GT 308 hydraulic clutch conversion | FerrariChat

Formula GT 308 hydraulic clutch conversion

Discussion in '308/328' started by LEVMotorsMX, Nov 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LEVMotorsMX

LEVMotorsMX Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2017
    Mexico City
    Full Name:
    LAURO ENRIQUE VAZQUEZ MARTINEZ
    Hello all,

I want to start a thread focused on the following item from the Formula GT shop, located in Germany.

Kit hydraulic clutch bearing incl. Adapter 308 GTB/GT4/328

This is, to my knowledge, the only commercially available conversion in the market today. The purpose of this thread is to gather all available information for the installation process, owner and mechanic experience, to facilitate the process for future buyers.

Formula GT owner, Peter Praller, has been a great resource, friend and businessman, and I would like to assist all fellow buyers and installers in their project.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Please feel free to add to this thread in a constructive, concise and helpful manner. All interested parties thank you for your shared passion, knowledge and efforts.

Warm regards and continue enjoying your Cavallino Rampante experience.

2. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    I have been thinking about this arrangement for a few years. I will be interested in any responses you might get.

3. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    there's an older thread on this. Pretty much everybody arguing that only wusses would do this and it ruins the car OR the guys who actually race their cars and said it is a worthy mod.....

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I prefer a hydraulic clutch. Everything I have driven with one just feels better to me. My Alfa, MGB and BMW all have one and I like it enough on them that I looked into this for my 308 many years ago.

Who cares what someone else thinks?

5. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    Thank you Dr. Tommy
    Tom

6. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Please excuse the perhaps uninformed question, but what problem does this solution attempt to solve?

IMHO, the 308 clutch seems light and easy to use (very durable to boot!), so I’m left wondering how this could make it better.

Cheers,

Ruben

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

To me it has absolutely nothing to do with reducing pedal effort. What I like is it gives the clutch a "softer" feel when you engage and disengage it. It just feels better to me.

8. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    jump into a mondial and you can see how a 308 drivetrain feels like with an hydraulic clutch...

9. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    A lot of work and money, higher maintenance, minimal improvement (except the very early 308s which had a wonky clutch pedal).

I was forced to install a hydraulic clutch when we put a 355 motor into my 288 recreation .. expensive headache and the reservoir gets in the way of the bulkhead cover.

10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  11. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Why try to fix something that isn't broken? The newest 308/328 is now 30 years old, so pretty much every car is still using its original cable/mechanism with no maintenance. When everything has been cleaned and properly lubricated, the cable is new and the clutch and pressure plate are new, the system works great! The pedal pressure is low and the action is very positive and precise. Much more so direct than a hydraulic clutch.
    Most of the cars that have heavy clutches or poor action are due to almost worn out clutch and pressure plate, or corrosion/dried up lubrication at clutch cable/pivot points.