New High performance Crossply tyre for early cars Stella Bianchi 600X16 | FerrariChat

New High performance Crossply tyre for early cars Stella Bianchi 600X16

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Longstone Tyres, Nov 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

For some time now i have been talking to Pirelli about producing some high performance crossply tyres. One of the driving forces was the fact that early Ferrari cars ran 600X16 tyre, and for some time now there hasn't been a decent option as a road crossply tyre.

Michelin used to make a tyre called an Englebert which looked great and was actually period, but they haven't been made for years.

i suppose recently the only really good thing would be the Dunlop Racing R5 https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/vintage-tyres/road-race-vintage-tyres/dunlop-racing/600x16-r5-dunlop-racing.html It is road legal, but really it is a racing tyre and not really perfect for a Ferrari road car.

However what would be perfect would be a 600X16 Pirelli Stella Bianchi. the very good news is that Pirelli are on the job and only yesterday i got a couple of mates to meet a few guys from Pirelli at our local track with an XK120 and another '50s car on 16" wheels where we tested the possible constructions of the future sets of 600X16 Stella Bianchi tyres. and they were fantastic both cars doing the testing loved them, and we hope to have them earlyish next year

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Lovely tires, but perhaps, "Stella Bianca" ?

Regards, Alberto

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Picky, picky... :rolleyes:

4. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    ...said the master to the grasshopper ;)

5. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Oo - he's right you know Stella Bianca it is.

please don't tell Pirelli. they'll think i'm an idiot. and so far i have managed to cover that up.

6. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Any way the plan is that we should also have a 550X16 and a 650X16 tyre as well. Hopefully next year.

It will be a good thing particularly for '40s and '50s cars that have 16" wheels (which is most of the good stuff). The ability to have something with a high speed rating and importantly a carcass that is developed to compliment very high speed sports cars of this period will be great.

On the track they are fantastic. they are not designed as a track tyre, but that suitable performance crossply carcass means the handling with these sorts of car is exceptional.

For durability and extended high speed cruising on motorways then radial tyres such as the 185VR16 Pirelli Cinturato https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/1431/s/185vr16-pirelli-cinturato-ca67/category/9045/ or the 600WR16 Michelin Pilote X https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/1710/s/600-16-michelin-pilot-x/category/9045/ will give brilliant directional stability. However the Stella BiancA will be pretty close but excel when wazzing round some wiggley roads. and having the range of different sizes for front and rear tyres will be brilliant

swift53 likes this.