Cleaning Factory Alloy Wheels | FerrariChat

Cleaning Factory Alloy Wheels

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by ShadowLAP, Nov 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    Before I use any cleaning products on my 360 Spider Alloy wheels I thought I would check for advice from the members as to the best products to use. thansks and appreciated for any advice. Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
    Any car soap should be fine. It's just a paint surface with clear coat like a body panel.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Ditto

4. Echo Charlie 1131949ZULU

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Edward C. Chewning
    Do you take your wheels/ tires off the car to clean them.? Edward

5. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

docf likes this.
  6. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I just purchased the car on Monday and have driven it once. More than likely I will not take them off on a regular basis. Maybe once or twice per year to do a proper cleaning.

7. Jsf721

Jsf721 Karting

May 15, 2015
    If you have carbon fiber brakes do not you anything other than car wash soap.

8. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I use Simple Green and a soft kitchen bottle brush.
    After 7 years, they still look new.

9. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear David,

A dozen or more years ago the Army banned the use of Simple Green on their helos. About the same time NAVAIR banned Simple Green from being used on any aircraft after some problems on the Hornets. As I understand it the company reformulated the product and is now considered safe to use if it is Extreme Simple Green Aviation. Apparently the original product caused hydrogen embrittlement on steel and was destructive on aluminum. Hope you are using the right stuff.

Best regards,

Robert

10. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Sonax wheel Cleaner- Ph neutral, Acid Free. Intend to use it on my 458 with carbon breaks. Now new Sonax plus is out. Contact Auto Geeks or Chem guys if you have selected Issues regarding safety of this product with your wheels/brakes. Can now also by this product on Amazon.

11. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    And a Boar's hair brush (for the purists!)

12. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    Just looked on Amazon for the Sonax ... There is a wheel cleaner, wheel cleaner plus and wheel cleaner full effect .... Which is the one you are using now with success?

13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Can confirm Simple Green will react with bare aluminum. The rims are clear coated but there's lots of bare aluminum in the wheel area. If it sits long enough it will harm the raw aluminum finish on parts. Regular car wash for the wheels but you'll have to remove them eventually to get them new again. The wheel hangers sold on this site will make a good stocking stuffer.

14. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

The Full Effect is the one to use, all three work, but the F.E. is faster acting and does the best job on the oily grime/brake dust. All the while the product is safe on all wheels, don't rinse your wheel prior to applying F.E. to achieve the best results.
    Use a Wheel Woolie and a lug brush to lightly agitate, rinse and admire your clean wheels.

15. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Do not use wheel cleaners on carbon ceramic rotors! At worst, they can damage the surface of the delicate rotors by being too harsh. At best, your rotors will squeak alot more than before.

Carbon Ceramics produce very little brake dust anyways - wheel soap or even car soap is more than enough to clean everything.

timjen88 and docf like this.
  16. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #16 peterp, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  17. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Beautiful 360. Those rims are gorgeous.

18. YorkieV12

YorkieV12 Karting

May 23, 2014
    Liquid soap and plenty of warm water.....regularly.
    A customer of mine, sprayed alloy wheel cleaner onto his front screen thinking it would clean off traffic film.
    Phone rings...goes to answer...makes coffee..etc etc goes back to car 15 mins later...........needs new screen.
    If you wouldn't wash your face with it.....why spray it onto your wheels.....a corrosive substance isn't selective...Ford/Fiat or Ferrari ! makes no difference

peterp likes this.
  19. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Agree with the above, for cars that are are babied and washed regularly, you never need anything more than car wash soap. For a DD that has brake dust sitting for a while, that's when you need chemicals.

A lot of people treat wheels with "Rejex" polish, which really helps repel brake dust as long as you let Rejex cure fully (12-24 hours) before driving. Any car polish will help reject brake dust a bit, but Rejex is better than most. Rejex used to be considered by many to be the "best" product for brake dust rejection, but Rejex has been out for a long time at this point, so I don't know if there is something better now.

20. timjen88

timjen88 Karting

Aug 20, 2015
    Colorado/Palm Springs
    Wish I read this one before I used a cleaner. Never had squeaks on my FF, but now I do :(