Tesla is really not fast at all...(really fast) | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Tesla is really not fast at all...(really fast)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bberg009, Nov 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    how much does a 1,000 HP 2 second ICE car cost?

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    $86,090 msrp.

bberg009 and davidoloan like this.
  3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    sounds like a race car to me. :) what is a production car that can?

davidoloan likes this.
  4. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I'm just answering your question lol.

This thread could easily be an Apple watch vs Rolex debate.

"My watch is more accurate!"
    "Mine is almost as close, but has the mechanical feel with the sweeping second hand!"

I think they both are similar but really can't be compared. It's something people get or don't (both sides, not saying one is better than the other).

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
  6. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Not at all offended Sid! I'll never part with my Neanderthal 308 .

daytona355 likes this.
  7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    They don't make very many.

R35 GTR 0-60 2.8 (official time), same as P90d and same price. But I appreciate the fact that R35 is a 2 door. Also uses just over half the power to get that acceleration.

8. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Man, these discussions remind me of arguments against digital cameras in the mid-nineties, flat panel TVs in the early '00s, and LED lights a few years ago. Electric cars are obviously a larger leap than a household object, so expect it to take a little longer to be sorted and widely accepted.

Remember Fox Photo huts? Remember phone booths? Remember service stations? Expect the same of gas stations.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that's very good at that price point for ICE. several cars are running around 3 ICE, but not not 2.3.

10. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Were you not around in 1910?

11. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    What does the Mexican Revolution have to do with any of this? Granted, Mexico City has horrible pollution that might benefit from electric cars...

12. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    bberg009 likes this.
  13. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    You ought to pick one up. Be modern. Very "Aristocratic"

Image Unavailable, Please Login

bberg009 likes this.
  14. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
    Remember horses? Don't see any on the streets anymore, but there are still plenty of people (young and old) around that love them with a passion similar to the passion that we have for special ICE-powered cars. No doubt that the ICE will be replaced by EVs as the widely accepted mode of "transportation."

Digital cameras? Just a tool to record images - a good photograph is still a good photograph, or not, regardless of its origins on film or with pixels.

Just my 2 cents.

Caeruleus11 and anunakki like this.
  15. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Remember the robber barons of the Gilded Age? Who do you think put the kibosh on electric transit?

16. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Nice try. Thank goodness for Google, huh.

17. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Not google, just dredging the caverns of my own Pre-Internet memory. Let’s hear it for western education!

davidoloan and bberg009 like this.
  18. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Speaking of education, if you want to learn something about frying, head over to the fine dining subforum as I am about to deep-fry the crap out of a bunch of fun foods.

anunakki likes this.
  19. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    0-60 times are so yawn.
    60-160 times define what fast really is.

Electronic launch control and AWD takes fun OUT of the driving experience.

Tesla is a one trick pony with poor craftsmanship but no doubt they are making electric mainstream.

All those cars on the OP's list are slow from a 0-to-whatever number you want to name.

20. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    here is another point to ponder.

the math for recharging a tesla works out to roughly a cost of 7 cts per mile - your results may vary depending on where you live, time of day to charge, etc.
    the math for fueling a honda civic comes out to roughly 7 cts per mile - your results may vary depending on gas costs near you etc.
    or, if you think the tesla should not be compared to an economy japanese car coz it costs and is so much better then,
    the math for fueling an e350 mercedes sedan to roughly 12cts per mile. over the first 100k miles, this comes to an extra $5k cost vs the tesla.

although i have said that i think we have turned the corner on EV's, i also said that mass adoption would be affected by gas prices.....

i still think hybrid is the best way to go for all kinds of reasons.
    but the basic math still doesnt make the tesla a slam dunk decision from an economic standpoint.

Bas likes this.
  21. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Nope that don't.. at 400 meters they are beaten by more than a dozen production cars.. at 6.5 seconds they are middle of the pack. At 1-1.5 seconds they are awsome. At 130+ mph, that are sawing machines for little old ladies ;-)

22. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Really, disagree.. I live in "race city USA" , Mooresville NC , where 70-80% of NASCAR teams are headquartered. Nobody here could care less than nothing about 0-60 mph times.

Even Interstate-77 is tagged at 65 mph speed limit, and everyone goes 75-80 mph (except my wife). So, off ramp 36, it is as fast as you can to 75mph (120 kmh) and that is just to drive as fast as bubba and the semi trailer next to you.. 10 mikes later it is to 80 mph to Raleigh (128 kmh), and if you stay in the left lane at that speed, they will tailgate you and honk their horn..

So, 0-60 mph times are not valuable to us, at least in some European countries and in the southern USA..

davidoloan likes this.
  23. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The problem with EVs on the track is the rapid discharge (lots of heat) required to put the power down and all that weight is an issue not just for acceleration but also braking and handling and wear and tear on all the associated parts. But the thing to remember is we are at the beginning of the adoption of EVs. I think it will get better and fairly quickly too. Racing like Formula E will see to that.

I like the analogy to watches. If you replaced the drive train in my daily car with electric I dont think it would bother me at all. But I'd sorely miss it in a Ferrari.

24. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    You might want to get that checked out by a mechanic.

25. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    Was thinking that I might pick up a Tesla when the company fails for possible future collector reasons. There seems to be enough younger people that are fanatical about the car which will probably translate to romanticizing buyers who will eventually be able to afford the car in the future.