550 prices??? | FerrariChat

550 prices???

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ferrari412gt, Dec 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari412gt

ferrari412gt Rookie

May 15, 2014
    what are they actually fetching- there are retail prices and then there are the sold for prices.

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    not sure any selling but i have been watching asks drop...

3. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    "Asks" have definitely been dropping. Last year rarely would I see an "ask" below 150k for a Maranello, other than high-mileage examples or those with obvious maintainence needs/issues. Now an "ask" above 150k is the exception rather than the rule, again other than very low-mileage examples or those with "extraordinary" features (e.g. Daytona seats and quilted headliner/package shelf). One would have to presume that selling prices reflect this new "reality".

davidoloan and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  4. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I've also been watching these for the past 2 years; as Temple said above I rarely see anything above 150k. I'm also curious to see what they actually sell for. My guess is low 100s but wondering if any sold in the 90s?

5. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Here in the UK there seem to be quite a few available just now. Left hookers asking from £65K (58K miles) to £100K (14K miles). RHD asking from £80K (93K miles) to £175K (10K miles). No idea what they are actually fetching.

6. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
  7. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    Definitely some softening, but hard to tell how much. I think other models are seeing the same thing. I saw a 612 being advertised at $79k last week and there's a thread about 612 prices in free fall.As someone else said, might be wise not to consider buying a car for investment purposes.

jlaws02 and davidoloan like this.
  8. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Might be wise not to sell either - they are great cars to drive!

davidoloan and LARRYH like this.
  9. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    If you watch the Ferrari market in runs in cycles up and downs... As long as you enjoy the car... I love my 575..

10. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I think if one has time to wait the 550 Maranello will be the car to have down the road. One of the last front engine 12 cylinder 4 cam 6 speeds produced by Ferrari, it defines the Ferrari Brand IMHO. For me right now its a special car to drive and experience. Life is too fleeting so buy or sell if that's what suits you. Don't worry about whether or not its a good "investment". Invest right now in your happiness while you're still able to enjoy it and drive the hell out of it.

ReyF and Themaven like this.
  11. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    A 550 is an excellent investment - the ROI in terms of enjoyment is beyond price. :)

Bas and BarryK like this.
  12. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Absolutely. Beautifully put.

13. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Yes maybe, John. But as Jonathan Tremlett pointed out above, these were not good examples. One was a Japan car with potential rust issues (rust evident). One had its engine rebuilt after a "bent valve". Maybe the rebuild was better than new; but with so much choice, why risk it?

15. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Indeed. The histories of these two cars hardly inspire confidence, but that is an even better argument, IMO, not to put them into a UK auction, but to place them with a dealer in another EU country where end users will be able to see and evaluate the cars properly. Left-hookers always sell at a discount in the UK, even good ones.

As it happens, my 550's engine had to be rebuilt, due to (I kid you not) a mouse over-wintering inside it and building its nest in the cambelt pulley area which put the timing out, so that the inlet valves on the RH bank fouled the piston crowns (yes, I know this sounds like a fairy story, and I wouldn't believe it myself if I didn't have the engineer's report to prove it). However, I was also able to check out who rebuilt it (Harvey at Carrs), so it did not put me off buying it, but I don't suppose I would have bought it at an auction with that history. I reckon one has to be desperate or mad to sell a car at auction.

HKS479 and Themaven like this.
  16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Very true. If I ever sell my F512M and 550 (both LHD), it may well be on the continent. Right now, the exchange rate would be a good incentive, though the market wouldn't.

Sorry to hear hear about the mouse. What a pain. I hope it paid!

17. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    which continent ? africa ?

18. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Makes sense.

The mouse incident happened to a previous owner - his home insurance paid up apparently (the invoice was addressed to Norwich Union).

19. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    :D:D:D

THE continent (English definition;)).

20. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    We speak English here in The United States too. So which "THE continent" are you referring to? :)

21. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Europe. Although we are supposed to be part of it, we seem almost invariably to refer to it as if we are not.

22. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I see. In school I was taught two terms in reference to Europe; "Europe" and "Continental Europe" which excluded the islands. I was just curious as to the terminology used in Great Britain. It appears to be the same.

23. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Barry, you're right, although the first of your terms is currently a hot political debate here.

There was a headline in The Times (the London one) in 1922 which stated "Fog in the Channel, Continent Cut Off", which became infamous. (The Channel being the stretch of water that separates the south coast of the UK from continental Europe).

Still, the British are not the only ones who can be inward-looking...when people here refer to the East Coast or West Coast, we have to assume nobody means Mombasa or Luanda...(speaking of Africa)

24. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    If you go back 50 years or so, the vast majority of people living in England had never left the country (apart from anything else, exchange control rules meant that you couldn't spend more than £50 per person per year outside the UK, which restricted foreign travel more than somewhat). "The Continent" was therefore a mysterious (and rather glamorous) place inhabited by dastardly foreigners who seduced women, ate garlic and had no idea how to play cricket!

25. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Haha!! Going off thread I see. And Bluebottle I knew exactly what you meant by "the continent". As you noted Brits have used the term "the continent" for quite some time re (continental) Europe. You would know this more than I but I think it an "older" term that is not used as much now as it was in the past. Here in the present day US ("city speak") it would be an "old school" expression. Now back to the thread (550 prices)