Chairs and flares GTS going to auction next month | FerrariChat

Chairs and flares GTS going to auction next month

Discussion in '206/246' started by Bluebottle, Nov 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Interesting lot:

https://www.rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/NY17/New-York---ICONS/lots/r006-1974-ferrari-dino-246-gts-by-scaglietti/544594

Personally, I don't like these cars: the flares look "stuck on", rather crude, and I prefer Cromodoras to Campagnolos. Just my personal taste, however. Having said that, I do like the Daytona-style seats - cool. :)

One thing puzzles me. The "original factory toolkit" looks unfamiliar to me: was this different because it is US spec., or because it is a GTS (I have a UK spec. GT)? Or is the auctioneer telling a porky?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  4. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Bluebottle (John) -

You have the Dino Compendium by Matthias Bartz, right? In there you will see what original Dino tool kits look like and how they differ over the years. The kit shown is not correct for this car at all. The jack is wrong, as are the tools, the tire iron, the wrenches/spanners, the pliers, the case - everything, except (and only possibly because I can't tell from the photo) - the carb key.

5. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes I do, but at my other house, so unable to check my recollection just now, which is why I asked. Pretty poor show by allegedly reputable auctioneer IMO.

6. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Yes, the tools and jack are all wrong for this car. I don't see the holes in the rocker panels for the Dino style jack, although it is hard to see on the photos. That could be a reason for the scissor type jack. Actually a better, safer jack for the car, but of course not original.
    Also, the documents folder and several of the documents are missing. The cigarette lighter seems to have been replaced by the more conventional type. Minor detail, perhaps, but the original type is not easy to find. And, of course, those Ferrari badges have to go.

The overall condition of the car seems, well, fairly acceptable. Cars like these always make me a bit uncomfortable, though. To me, this car looks "gussied up" for resale rather than comprehensively restored as the description says. Anyone considering bidding on this car should give it a very close look - in person - first, I think.

Apparently, this car was sold at an RM auction in 2013 for $390,500. I think the seller will be hard pressed to match that price today. The estimated price (500 to 600K) sounds much too high to me. This is not 2013 / 2014 anymore. But of course, I could be wrong...

7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    "Today, the odometer reads little more than 19,000 documented miles from new."

Odometer actually reads 20931 miles in the picture for the upcoming auction. Maybe they repeated the info from the previous 2013 sale?

8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Just checked. Although updated, some of the text was lifted from the description of the car for the August, 2013 sale at Monterey, including the mileage information.

9. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    None of these tools are correct! The flairs are "stuck on" as pointed out, made very few and gets a lot more money for it!!

10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    No sale. High bid $480,00.

11. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Given that that is within a hair's breadth of the low estimate, I should not be surprised if a deal is put together.

12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I'm sure you're right if it was a genuine bid and not from the house. During the auction the incorrect mileage of 19,000 was quoted, not the now indicated closer to 21,000.

13. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Good point. I wonder if, had a sale been achieved, the buyer would have sued the auctioneer for misdescription in re the "original factory toolkit".

miurasv likes this.
  14. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

It is an “original factory toolkit”.

Freeman

15. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    :D:D:D

16. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

So, this never sold after the appearance on the auction block?

Also, I am a little surprised this Dino got "Ferrari Classiche certified" since it is missing the micro-switch and related wiring on the cam cover. Supposedly Ferrari Classiche certification is a stickler about such things, especially since 2015 or so, and this car was certified in 2016.

17. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    RMS website is now showing it as sold for $390,500. So it looks as thought the high bid may have been a fiction after all.

18. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I think that sale was in 2013?

19. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Oooops, sorry - fake news!

20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Hehe no worries . I was just looking through this interesting thread, your Dino looks amazing too.

21. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Thankyou, yes, I feel very privileged to own it!

22. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    I learned a bit about what really happens with the Classiche process while I was at the 70th Anni festivities in Maranello. Basically, approval depends on two things: your relationship with the brand and how much money you're spending with the brand. Much is forgiven if you have those two things in line. All the cars being shown at the concours were Classiche certified, many had incorrect items. Oh, and the Dino 246 on display at the official Maranello Ferrari museum had a horsey on the back of it. Tells you all you need to know.

23. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    The photo in the Classiche of my car clearly shows not only the horse, but also the Ferrari script, but there is no mention of them as being non-original.

24. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Bluebottle -

The Ferrari script and the horse are not factory original, but your own Dino is still great looking. There are many threads/discussions about those items being stuck on Dinos elsewhere in the 206/246 section of FCHAT, and this matter is discussed in all of the Dino 206/246 books that I have ever seen, including within the Dino Compendium. None of the official dealer brochures show those items, nor do the parts manuals - but the Dino gt script does appear. The only Ferrari script that I have seen on a Dino that might possibly be considered original is on an early silver 246 Dino that the owner picked up personally at the factory. He had asked the factory to apply it to his Dino, and they obliged. I am very familiar with that Dino and have seen photos of it taken at the factory when it was picked up, or immediately thereafter. The only Dinos that ever had them were the 308gt4 series, and only then after Ferrari apparently decided they need to put them on those cars later in production to help them sell.

With respect to the missing microswitch on the rear cam cover of the car featured in this thread, I wonder if the Classiche certification (again, for the car in this thread) includes a technical note that it is missing, and also whether there are any notes regarding the Ferrari script and horse. Also, does anyone know who did the Classiche certification itself? Not who paid for it, but who actually did it?