Who wears driving shoes and what brand do you prefer? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Who wears driving shoes and what brand do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Mechanical Dad, Dec 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    I agree regarding the Puma’s but I prefer to use them when driving the F car. Personally for me it feels odd wearing Porsche Design shoes driving an F car and vice versa .

daytona355 likes this.
  2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    That’s why it’s pilotis all the way for me

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

AUDIO RESEARCH likes this.
  3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    If you not doing heel and toe with a manual, what difference does it make? You might as well wear clogs.

4. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    big feet and small pedal boxes are a good reason to order DCT transmission... on a recent purchase I originally ordered a manual transmission... after a couple of additional test drives I changed the order to a DCT... glad the order was changed... it would have been miserable to change shoes each time I wanted to drive the car or drive with big shoes that didn't fit the pedal box

daytona355 likes this.
  5. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    A couple of reasons. One, a lose sole loses feel on the pedals and can slip. I prefer a firm, secure feel. Second, even without heel and toe, a wide shoe can inadvertently overlap and hit two pedals at once. Not good.

daytona355 likes this.
  6. jrinehart

jrinehart Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2009
    Chambersburg, PA
    Full Name:
    John Rinehart
    Kevin Rev'n and Mechanical Dad like this.
  7. Roadking

Roadking Karting

Oct 9, 2005
    Buy a pair of Tod's, throw them away and wear the boxes.

8. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    So many brands I've never heard of! Thanks again. I have wider feet due to the size so I'm hoping a local show store may have something similar to a few i can try to see the sizing and feel.

9. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    If you order them, try one size bigger than you usually are, every pair I’ve had have been very tight, and while tight is good in driving shoes, it’s too tight for comfort on a drive and it’ll cut your circulation off. Aside from the size, they are a very nice shoe, soles not that comfortable to walk on (as with most good driving shoes) as they are usually very thin and under padded compared to the average sports shoe, but that’s what makes them a good driving shoe.

I used to only wear my driving shoes for the actual driving, and took a pair of normal footwear in the trunk to change into, plus some of the driving shoes I’ve had over the years have been a bit extreme looking and people would likely take the piss!

Mechanical Dad likes this.
  10. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I have a pair of black suede Puma's and like them for driving but not for walking around. I much prefer a pair of US Polo Association black suede tennis shoes that I found at a Marshalls for $15! Lightweight, narrow and firm flat soles allow for good pedal operation and they don't cause my sciatic to act up on my right foot! Don't know what I'm going to do when I wear them out.

11. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I used to wear Clarks driving shoes, but now prefer Sperry pilots. The pilot has been/is being superceded by the Venetian. Both the Clarks and Sperrys feel good while driving, but the Sperry's also feel good when walking. Thinking I'll try the Allen Edmonds Daytonas next.

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I have pilotis but barely ever put them on.
    Mostly i wear some top siders, or my birthday feet are best.

13. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    As another person recommended in a different thread. ... I second the nomination of Chuck Taylor Converse low top shoes. Thin sole gives excellent pedal feel. Rubber sole for grip. Canvas construction for comfort. Available in many colors. Cost $50 or less.

Steve

Mechanical Dad likes this.
  14. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Wow I never thought of those! Had a pair 30 years ago . Hopefully they are available in 15's ! I'm still going to look at puma and a few others. Got slammed with work so I have been busy.

15. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    This makes me laugh when I see pics of old school racers back in the 50's and 60's wearing a make shift fire suit and wing tip shoes.

16. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    When asked several years ago why he wore wing tip dress shoes when racing NASCAR for nearly 35 years, Dave Marcis stated in an interview ...

That began in 1968 when the stock cars had these big, hulking engines, and their exhausts ran just under the floorboard. The concept of insulation was still in its infancy.

"Everybody pretty much had trouble with their feet burning on the heels from the heat on the floorboard," he remembered. "You would get a small burn that was hard to heal. It was like a funnel. On the surface it would be the size of a dime, and because it burned so slow and burned so deep, it looked almost like a funnel. Then it would heal on the surface, but not down low."

All drivers then looked to escape this fate. Marcis remembers David Pearson racing in penny loafers and Richard Petty racing in cowboy boots with Styrofoam cups taped to their heels and A.J. Foyt racing in "some kind of shoe like a wrestler wore."

Finally, as they all waited to run in North Wilkesboro, Pearson looked at Marcis and said, "Have you got some shoes with leather soles."

"Yes, I do," he replied. "I got a pair of dress shoes, wingtips, over there in my suitcase in the car."

"Wear 'em," Pearson said.

"So I put those shoes on and wore 'em, with those thick leather soles, and I did not burn my feet that day, and I kept wearing them and they became my trademark," Marcis said.

Did people ever give you racing shoes to wear?

"Oh yeah," he said. "But they just don't seem to have the support and there's not much bottom on them. They feel like you're walking on rocks barefooted. So I just stick with my wingtips."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino

Or scare them away...

18. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Walmart has lotsa big driving shoes.

19. rajagopalan_Kg

Apr 18, 2016
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Raj G
    daytona355 likes this.
  20. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Like the black on black kicks in the front!
    T

rajagopalan_Kg likes this.
  21. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Am hooked on Piloti's, size 11 US.

22. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I like Pumas too, but I take a pair of running shoes with me to car shows because walking around in them makes my feet hurt.

rajagopalan_Kg likes this.
  23. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    I love the Campion Piloti’s
    Brown suede for autumn driving while the black and brown leather wingtips can be worn at the office with a suit should you decide on a “spirited” commute in your supercar!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat