Inside the motor - - paint? | FerrariChat

Inside the motor - - paint?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by enio45, Nov 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Anyone familiar with the type of material/paint/coating that is used on the inside of the
    block, oil pan etc?

I believe it is used to ensure easier movement of the oil to the pan......unless i need to be corrected?

Appreciate the advise

2. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    The old hot rodder trick of using Glyptal red paint to aid oil return to the pan. Much more myth than reality. Some say its origins date from attempting to seal the porous engine cases of pre-war Harley and Indians.

If you truly have a leaky cast aluminum oil sump then use a modern casting sealant like Loctite Resinol Porosity Sealant. There are a several types. One is painted on, another is vacuum impregnated.

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    You don't mention what year car you are talking about. Very early cars used a coating similar to the Glyptal red paint. Later cars used Zinc-Cromate paint, which is highly toxic and now hard to find. It is yellow in color and turns to a brown-ish color over time.

4. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    This was on the inside of my 58 ellena....i don't know how many people have been into the motor, but there is a coating that is wearing off that i was considering to replace when we do the motor rebuild.

Cant recall right now the color, but i recall it being dark, could be from the oil stain, i don't know.

5. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I used the Glyptol on the inside of my cam covers.

6. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    I have found that same yellow coating on the brake drums, under the silver paint... a little puzzling.

john

7. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    NürScud likes this.
  8. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    MotoB is correct, the typical 250/275/330 motor had inner surfaces coated in zinc chromate primer paint, and the same was used as the primer under the external silver paint used on aluminum castings. It is traditionally used extensively in the aircraft industry. You can get it from Aircraft Spruce. Typically, green or greenish-yellow in color. Yes, the exposure to oil and heat turns it brown.

dgt likes this.
  9. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    So then, the yellow/green coating was not used to seal or make it slippery inside the motor, rather it was used to protect the castings.

john

10. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    It was used to protect the castings and seal in any sand leftover from the casting process.

11. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I have heard of that Brian and even bought a can of Glyptal and carried it on a plane when 1Qt.
    was not an issue. Now, forget it!

Getting back to the point, I think all alloy castings from the others (Alfa Maser, etc.) did not use it and sand cast they were.
    I am very confused, as sand blasting still goes on today, and Ferrari are the only?

Question: How do you get rid of the previous green stuff, soda blasting?
    And, should Glyptal go on, as mine is really old :)

Regards, Alberto

12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Yes, but zinc chromate is illegal in a lot of places, and are you 100% it will not peel off?
    We are able to buy it here (3rd world) and spray it on magnesium, will have to test it with an oil bath.

Regards, Alberto

13. Doctor7474

Doctor7474 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2010
    Hoover Al,former Atl
    Full Name:
    Doctor
    Wonder if Cerakote would do the job?

It's a very thin coating of ceramic that is baked on like powder coat.

Available in many colors too, heat resistant, so thin it doesn't change deminsions I had a part coated on it that had some pretty fine threads and didn't have to chase them for them to be functional.

Used mainly on firearms but are expanding to other uses, they make high temp stuff I've seen headers coated with it and it holds up...

https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/