THE NEW P15 IS OFFICIAL..... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

THE NEW P15 IS OFFICIAL.....

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by gtjoey, Nov 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Ca £750K / 500 units i heard.

The full side on view does not help it i agree, i can't afford one ,but if they really do tank then why not ?

2. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    crinoid likes this.
  3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’m sure most ppl over at Mclarenlife(cult) are saying they either like how it looks or that it will be so amazing to drive OR that they’d just spec it in a dark color. If you have to spec something in dark grey or black to hide the lines then it’s ugly. asthetics still matter it’s not all about performance. Ferrari FXXK is gorgeous and every bit the performer of this “Senna” I’m sure of it. No reason it had to be so ugly.

Makes me worried about what they’ll do to the 750LT.

Igor Ound likes this.
  4. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Ron Dennis must be feeling quite happy with himself. This looks like a butt plug for a Kardashian.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This is what happens when you let wind tunnels and computers design your cars.

davidoloan likes this.
  6. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    Looks a bit like the Consulier GTP

perrinnation likes this.
  7. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    That's some technology that allows them to fit a wind tunnel up a Walrus's ass.

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

1. Don't criticize Stevie Wonder, I think even he would know better.
    2. That boring engine performs better than anything on the market today less than $2M.
    3. I would have to believe they knew this car would be controversial - it just doesnt look right from any angle. If you had to find a positive it would be the interior so you dont have to look at the exterior.
    4. Ferrari has their own issues but perhaps they have a moment to laugh.

The only thing that could make sense is that McLaren just said screw the aesthetics and decided to build a car that outperforms anything out there even if it looks like a bad kit car. If I could afford a $2M car it most definitely wouldn't be this one.

9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Ugly as sin...kill it now.

10. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Do you remember Monty Phyton´s dirty fork sketch?

Just when McLaren´s design department was starting to get out of the tunnel with the 720 and 570... and then THIS. AND THEN THIS!!!

11. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If that is true, then the great saying, "From follows function." is really taking a beating!

12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Out of curiosity I checked out the FXX for comparison and there actually some similarities. Both cars IMO look odd and are on the extreme end of the looks spectrum (Wrong end).

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think its awesome. Start with the low weight, which is the single biggest factor in real car performance. Then look at the view out, which is a huge factor in actual driving.

yep for the pose crowd they probably could have done somehing different.

to me this is the first really compelling modern, and a true F1 sucessor.

14. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
  15. perrinnation

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    I hope is fast as hell so it can get out of my sight as quickly as possible!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

16. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    How on earth is this an F1 successor? The F1 was developed as a road car first and foremost and the beauty and simplicity of its design was critical. Also had a NA V12. Also three seats. This car is none of those things. Far as I can tell the only commonality aside from the badge is they're both light.

Nuvolari likes this.
  17. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Valentino Toro likes this.
  18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    And in a world of 3500+lbs(wet) supercars sporting excess hp what other car hi po is this light. Lightness is next to godlyness when it comes to actual and real sustained performance, as opposed to some funtionaly irrelevant single lap test. One of the primary reasons why a F1 and for that matter the F40 made good race cars and by extentsion superlative road cars is that they were light, thats what seperates these two from the pack. The Zonda was pretty good here too.

When the F1 and F40 came out people were not enamoured with their styling either, the F1 being too muted for many tastes and the f40 being too track orientated stylistaicaly.

Which brings me to another major similarity to the F1, the greenhouse area, designed for max visibility, once again a critical factor in real performance. the rest of he car like the f40 is designed for function.

Every other supercar today by comparison is a poseur, basicaly being too heavy to really hack it on track for more than a few laps and sporting overt styling for its own sake. There is purity of pupose here, thats what the F1 f40 and this new Mcalren have in common and what every other supercar lacks. You have to go down the scale to a lotus elise and then a Miata to find the same purity of purpose.

True its not a car to take the the resteraunt and valet park, and even the 570 exeeds any rationaly attainable street velocity. And if you dotn know what it is the styling may not make sense. What this car does is breaks the ridiculous mould of current supercars that offer outrageous paper performance and can click of a really fast lap, but are otehrwise near uselss in the one enviroment where they can be really used, which is the track.

in the 60s you could drive your ferrari flat out from Paris to monaco, traffic was light as were cops speed limits and consequences. Those conditiosn no longer exist and mos fast cars and sueprcars today exist in void of unreality, having performamce that is un excerciseable on road, and unfiunctionable on track.

This car looks to break that mould, it will undobtably be able to tool around town as any modern, and its light weight will probably confer a resposne and feel which will make it enjoyable at road attainable speeds. At the same time its light weight and funtiuonality/aero mean it shouldl be able to sustain a really heady pace on track all day long.

We cry out for a light raw modern, to my eyes this is it.

halr75 likes this.
  19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
  20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Ahh slightly biased??? Ugly is ugly no matter what the badge. The reality is that it doesn't really matter because most commenting here couldn't buy any of them and will likely never see one in person. Lots of haters though.

21. Valentino Toro

May 28, 2017
    So true.

Frank Stephenson, their previous design director, left McLaren last year and now this is their first effort under their new guy.

Stephenson designed this back in 2004. Looks ok to me and it won 5 consecutive FIA GT World Championships, from 2005 to 2009.

redcaruser and crinoid like this.
  22. perrinnation

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
  23. RareAir23

RareAir23 Formula Junior

May 19, 2005
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    The proportions just look weird to me (front end especially) ... It kind of looks like a Lego's Tehcnic Model. (actual car, not above render)