R1 and R2 points | FerrariChat

R1 and R2 points

Discussion in '308/328' started by Barnone 308, Dec 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Barnone 308

Barnone 308 Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2004
    canada
    Hi everyone, quick question, do you ust remove the R2 points if you decide to just run R1. Do you have completely remove the R2 points from the distributor or can you just leave them in there making constant contact.

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    You can leave the R2 points in place. Just disconnect them so they don't affect the ignition system function and adjust them so the points rubbing block doesn't contact the distributor cam. That way it still looks original, and if someone want to make them functional again in the future is easier.

3. Barnone 308

Mar 22, 2004
    canada
    Thank you man. I will do that today. I just working on my 308, and I took off the distributors and installed new points, reset the valves and put new shims. Man I put it all back together and it won't run. When I installed the distributor on PM1-4 I set it at TDC PM1-4 and installed the distributor making sure that the rotor was facing the red marker. I then rotated the flywheel about 90 Degrees and reach PM5-8 and installed the second distributor facing the firewall and made sure that the rotor was facing the red marker. I think I did it right. I made sure that PM1-4 was on compression and timing mark lined up on the cam. I tried starting it and it wont start and got some back fire. I did notice that one my timing marks on my PM1-4 for off a few degrees. I wonder how many degrees off would make the car not run. Kind of lost.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The R1 points should also be just opening when the rotor is facing the red mark (on both) - do you also have that condition for each distributor?

Also, you need to adjust the throttle microswitch position so that the paddle on the 1-2 carb shaft does not touch it (i.e., the throttle microswitch should always be open) -- or remove it completely (and tape off the two wire ends or remove that portion of the wiring).

5. Barnone 308

Mar 22, 2004
    canada
    Thank You Steve

I will check my distributors today and make sure that microswitch is not touching.

I had the opportunity to speak with Andy Falbo today out at FMS motorsports. Great Guy. Andy shop will set the original distributors up so that PM1-4 will run both original distributors instead of each distributor running separately. I will be doing that shortly. According to Andy the car runs a lot smoother and easier to set timing as you can do it with one distributor. Cool stuff out there. The best part is that I get to keep the original distributors on the car.

6. Barnone 308

Mar 22, 2004
    canada

I worked on this yesterday. Quick question, is it better just to remove the R2 points completely rather then leaving them in. Yesterday I made sure that my R2 points were not touching the cam lobe but left the points touching. Not sure if that has an impact.