308 Grp 4 project help | FerrariChat

308 Grp 4 project help

Discussion in '308/328' started by TrevS, Dec 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TrevS

TrevS Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    Hi all

I am in the process of selling my 67 Jaguar E-type and currently looking for a replacement car. I've been a long time fan of 60's and 70's rally cars like the Lancia Stratos etc and love the idea of creating a Grp 4 inspired 308. I know a couple of members on here have tackled similar projects and I understand it isn't to everyone's tastes but it's something I want to explore and understand a bit more about.

I am not trying to achieve a full Michelotto build as cost would be too high but would like to add the arches, engine cover, wheels and suspension, exhaust etc to give the car the grp4 look and then maybe some light modifications to the interior.

My first question is how much bodywork is required to fit the grp 4 wide arches? Do they require you to cut the original arches or sills etc to fit them and is the work reversible? I've had a few people tell me not to modify any Ferrari for damaging the value as 'originality' is everything to Ferrari buyers. So what I want to establish is should I ever want to take the car back to stock how easy would it be?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Trevor

2. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Get a set of guards from MAT or similar to bolt on and keep the original panels

3. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    All parts available from Formula GT in Germany, arches can be bonded onto original panels (so can be removed), rear lid is easy switch out to a glass part and again an exhaust is bolt on. you can get the look which actually is easily reversed.

4. TrevS

TrevS Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    Thanks guys, really useful. Would you go for bonded arches or replace the whole rear panels with fibreglass replacements? Which is easier?

5. TrevS

TrevS Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    Also in terms of suspension and wheels are there any changes required to the rear to fill the arches? Obvious fitting a set of wide rear coffin spokes will fill out the car but are any modification to the hubs or introduction of spacers needed?

6. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    If you want to return the car to standard easily bonded, especially if a steel car. For the rear wheels no hub mods required, just decide which wheels you want 12x15J (most of the cars are either on Coffin Spoke or Route Nori split rims). However be aware that the loads will increase on the rear hubs so worth investigating buying some upgraded hubs (walkersport in the UK sell these).

TrevS likes this.
  7. TrevS

TrevS Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    Thanks Sp1der, really useful info. Now need to start looking for a donor car

8. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Please see link below, go to project page and there are pictures of the conversion that I think matches what you would like to do.

Formulagt.de

TrevS likes this.
  9. TrevS

TrevS Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    Thanks for the link, very close to what I want to do. Very nice

10. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley