F1 Tranny - reduce clutch wear | FerrariChat

F1 Tranny - reduce clutch wear

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by RMDC, Dec 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
    Finally had the clutch wear checked on my 2003 CC Coupe - 17,000 miles. I've had the car for 4 years now and I took it to Craig Waterman's shop for a read out (www.craig-waterman.com). Since I do not generally "drive it like I stole it" my guess was I should be in the 30% wear, 70% clutch life remaining range. Imagine my surprise when the readout showed 48% wear and 52% life remaining. Turns out the Kiss Point was set to 5.7 - Craig explained that was much too high a setting for good clutch life . This means the clutch and flywheel take to long to finally grab and that increases the wear. Craig reduced the Kiss Point to 4.2 and we took it for a test drive to check the new setting. Craig drove and showed me the difference. To say I was blow away is an understatement. He also asked If I ever use the Power/Sport mode and I said never. He advised me to use that mode to further increase clutch life. So make sure the Kiss Point is right and drive in the Power/Sport mode to reduce clutch wear. Man, did I have a fun drive home - I finally learned what my car can do!

2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Pics of your car please :)

Glad you had it sorted it out now and hopefully you'll enjoy it much longer.

3. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Beautiful color! The Formula Dynamics Drive By Wire (FD DBW as it's usually referred to on the other forum) will also help with your clutch wear. Besides grabbing faster it also automatically puts your car in sport mode. Something for you to consider.

4. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
    Thanks Eddie - for the compliment and the FD DBW advice -much appreciated.
    Rich

flat_plane_eddie likes this.