New F355 Wheels - How To Tell If They Really ARE New? | FerrariChat

New F355 Wheels - How To Tell If They Really ARE New?

Discussion in '348/355' started by PaulK, Dec 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi Everyone,

When I bought my 355, the seller had a second set of wheels that were brand new. Is there a way to tell if they really are brand new or simply have been repainted?

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hey Paul,

It's been my experience that folks just cannot seem to refinish wheels as good as the OEM finish. That's not to say people don't do a good job but I've not seen any yet as good as factory.

Take a look at the backside lettering. A build up of paint will be a tell tale sign.

MAD828 likes this.
  3. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Dave I am not at all surprised that you of all people would have such brilliant idea such as this. This really reflects your knowledge. I just lost my job today, so I am going to wallow around for a bit and I'll see if I can find any good identifying marks tomorrow.

4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm very sorry to hear that, Paul. Do you paint? ;)

Best of luck on the job market - I'm sure you will do just fine.

5. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Also on the back side check where the paint stops. When I had my race wheels redone you can see from the thickness between the front finished side and the back side has been refinished.
    Painters oftain dont worry as much about the side you do not see.
    The stamping looks filled in as well

Dave rocks likes this.
  6. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Another way is to look at the tapered area of the bolt holes for any tell tale signs that the wheels were bolted on before (if you have not used them).

7. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hello Everyone, thank you for the responses, especially you Dave for the well wishes. I am sure I will be fine as well. I just got to figure out what I want to do! I may just travel for a bit. Who knows.

In regards to the topic of the wheels, it looks like mine have been repainted. I suppose I should have inspected them before loading them into my dads truck but ah well, at least I have a spare set of wheels. At least, I think they are repainted. I see some chips in the wheels that look to have been painted over. I am uploading these photos of the details that were discussed in this thread in case it helps people form a reference later.

Thank you all, again!

Attached Files:

8. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    If they look good and got the DOW7, who cares?

Having said that, I few months back I researched the paint colors and although there is a lot of conflicting info, I found stock 355 wheels are not painted by ferrari, they are painted my speedline who actually manufactures the wheel. You cannot buy the exact paint from speedline, its just not sold, however it is very close to ferrari's PPG36520. So everyone including the dealers use that color.
    I should be able to find out today if you can see a difference in the color or at least metallic flake. I'll try to post some pictures later.

9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Much of the effect of the metallic lies within the painter ;)

10. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hmm I never to compare paint color/flake. I am pretty sure the wheels on my car are 100% original, I'll have to compare it to what is on those.

Why do I care if they are new or not? Well, it was sold to me that the were new and that does make a difference in it's value. And I'm not employed so I could sell these if I really wanted to. I could sell them and travel for a while. But I do want to keep them if I can. After all, why not? And I can learn more in the process.

Dave rocks likes this.
  11. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
  12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    As I said prior, painter, not paint.

13. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    The painter does have a lot of impact to the finish and pattern of the flakes, but if one mix has large flakes and the other has small flakes...?
    I have them side by side, OEM is lighter, whiter, and the metallic flakes are microscopic compared to ppg36520. I suppose one could find a argento nurburgring 355 with OEM wheels and compare they body to the wheels to determine if its the painter or the paint

14. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks for posting kennyd. Any chance you can post up some of the lettering on the back? Do you see any differences there?

15. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Good point, obviously damaged inserts would also count but only an idiot would try to sell new with these damaged unless they do not know what to look for.

16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    What I'm trying to explain (likely not doing a good job) the size of the flake is very much a visual effect rather than true size. The PPG color is perfect, to get it right however, lies in the painters hands.

17. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I know from doing a fair amount of painting myself that painter coupled with equipment, pressure, humidity etc has many impacts.
    Yiu can take same paint when trying to do a spot repair and have it not match just because of other factors. This was even more prevalent with the old single stage paint. This is just from my own experience.
    I feel that was why in the older days people painted whole sections because otherwise your eye would pick up the difference.

phrogs likes this.
  18. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Man, this thread has me thinking I need to have my wheels refinished. Of course, I should probably get new tires too. More money. :)