360 F1 Spider v Mercedes SL55 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 F1 Spider v Mercedes SL55

Discussion in '360/430' started by angelis, Dec 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Range Rover is no joke to fix at the dealer ship either shop rates are crazy.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

2. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    No, of course the SL:s won´t be worthless. The good condition well kept examples will hold their value good in the future. The SL65:s here in Europe are worth 360-money.

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    There is always one guy out there that will pay you more for a car than it’s worth. :) I have a very good friend who has a 1992 500sl. He won’t sell it. It costs him $5000 a year to fix and run. I saw one with less miles, same color... same car on Craigslist yesterday for $500. Looking on cars.com they were $20k and under. Worthless. Like all used Mercedes. $150k new, $5000 in 7-10 years.

4. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    I bought and sold my SL65 for $60.000 this year without a problem. I sold my SL55 for $34.000. You are right that they depriciate hard but when they bottom out they are pretty steady. And an SL500 costing $5.000 a year to maintain and $500 to buy? Maybe if it´s a complete dog. Come on now. :)

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I'll give you it is only one example.. :)

6. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Yeah, but it´s not relevant. Still have to see the big picture. There are also crappy Ferraris that nobody wants. One should not judge the market by the worst examples.

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The market has already judged my friend.. :)

8. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Still not relevant judging the market by **** examples. Well cared for low mileage cars will always be worth top dollars.

9. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    I think it is relevant. If you find a 360 in a condition similar to that S65 example, it will still be worth $37,500, not $3,750. People are paying that much for 360's with with moderate body damage and salvage titles. So a ten to one pricing ratio, at least on the low end.

10. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    :)

Nobody said anything about MB being as valuable as Ferrari. However it’s not true that MB depriciate until they are worth nothing. Read again.

11. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    In that case, I am not sure what your argument is. $3,750 for a running car is pretty much nothing.

12. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    It was not running well. Had a lot of issues. A well functioning S65 is worth a lot more. Here in Europe you can’t find these under 25k euro and they have bottomed out.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    They made lots of SL55s (nice cars! I loved mine).
    Many fewer SL65s - higher values.
    Even fewer SL65 Blacks, roof doesn't open, but even higher values.
    Also not many SL73s of the previous generation with the engine used by Pagani (technically that was from the SL70) - high values.
    My SL500 cost me more to maintain per year than any of my Ferraris, and it was worth not much at the end of it all. ABC, roof. electrics...all kaputissimo.
    My current C63 AMG 6.2 has cost almost zero, so maybe I was unlucky.

14. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Taking this idiotic comparison to food :

"Comparison between McDonald and the French Laundry"

McDonald’s wins as it is cheaper and you get 10x the calories than the Michelin rated French Laundry for 1/100 the price.

15. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    I suspect that is true, the MB brand seems to be more valued in Europe than in the US.

It did not use to be that way. MB used to be a prestige brand in the US. I don’t perceive it that way any more, it has become far too common. Around here, especially in my part of the country, the demographic of MB ownership has also changed substantially.

I have not followed the MB market, but I frequently see late model MB’s going for a pittance at US auctions. The depreciation is really breathtaking.

So I think that any type of a comparison with a 360 is invalid. It is equally as invalid as the other running thread bizarrely comparing Tesla to a Ferrari.

16. bigsquat

bigsquat Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2013
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Troy
    CNC has a 2009 SL65 Black with 7k miles listed for $249,888. I can't imagine spending that on the Merc instead of a lot of other cars in that price range. Is that even grounded in reality?

17. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I would get an SLR for that price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    They can ASK anything they want. See my first comment that there is *always* someone willing to overpay for a car! :) I can't for the life of me figure why someone would pay that for a SL65. Just to look like every other old-guy-real-estate-developer-coming-home-from-a-game-of-golf. hehehe The real question is why someone will buy it in the future. To "collect"? I can't think of anyone who would do that. I dunno.. maybe europeans like the cache of looking like king dotcom.

19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Anyone who is sane, rational and not on illicit substances would as well for that price. :)

20. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    No disrespect but do you even know what an SL65 Black Series is? You seem to shoot from the hip a lot in this thread and your comments just seem uneducated. The Black Series will be a collectors car everywhere in the world. It was a very special car and a limited edition. As is the SLS BS, SLR, C63 BS and so on and so on...

21. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    I didn't do too badly, selling my SLK 55 AMG 12 years later for 20k chf (purchased for 120k chf) with about 110000km's on the clock :)

22. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

All cars depreciate - period, and are only worth a value when you have a buyer.

Both Mercedes and Ferrari are production line cars, Mercedes obviously builds far many more and the brand is further diluted by SUV's, Crossovers and the like besides they cater for everyone from C Class sales rep spec on a lease up to Limos and supercars - in other words its a mass produced car and like all global brands unless it's really special will loose money - BMW has a similar problem with its M cars - great cars but buy between 1 and 2 years with manufacturers warranties and you can bag an almost a new car for 40% of list.

Worryingly for Ferrari they already depreciate hard on its mainstream cars and pro-rata to 355/360 days its products now.( 488 ) are over priced, eventually when they begin to build SUVs etc. and brand numbers go higher then I can see the situation becoming far worse.

23. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I know exactly what it is. I know an old guy at C&C that drives one over occasionally. And I have absolutely no idea what the big deal is. If you’re going to make a special car at least make it LOOK special. My point is.. it’s special to the person that buys it new. For it to retain the value, it has to be appreciated as much. That’s not happening... :)

Do you realize that here in the states the Mercedes brand doesn’t carry the cache it does in Europe? Every real estate agent in town drives a leased C or E klasse Mercedes. After the lease is up, it hits the used car lots where it plummets. The only people I see driving SL class Mercedes are OLD. As in grey hair old. Everyone under the age of 50 drives a Tesla.

Car value is tied to image. People aren’t into the king dotcom or Russian oligarch vibe.. :)

24. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Arguably if a car settles in above 25-30% new value at 10 years it’s doing pretty good. It think personally Ferrari does pretty good. They seem to fall in between the 40-50% range not factoring in inflation.

25. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    On the matter of the SL65 BS this is of course only your subjective view and has nothing to do with facts or reality. The SL65 BS has retained it´s value and is now commanding more then the price tag when it was new.

On the other matter of you going on about king dotcoms and Russian oligarchs. Aren´t the Americans the ones to be known for gaudy lifestyle and showing of? ;)
    Mercedes standard models are one thing and also not anything special in Europe but we are talking about the top tier models here and not your standard C-class. You are comparing apples and oranges.