488 GTO ? | Page 37 | FerrariChat

488 GTO ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wab0625, Apr 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    What I heard is that it will be produced for 2 years only. So in a way we could say that it is a limited production car ;)

2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    This is my understanding as well. That said, some seem to diminish the rarity of an SE car. Certainly, it isn’t as rare as an LE, or a Hypercar, by any means, but for those able to order an SE, it remains a fairly exclusive realm.

3. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    The LE (still to be announced) will probably come at the end of the 488 cycle after both SE variants have been released. If this is their new business model then it's a very clever strategy by Ferrari to slyly slip in an additional variant into the mix and sell another 1500+ cars, they will have their cake and eat it!

nkhalid likes this.
  4. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    And I am sure the unofficial requirements to own this LE will be to own a 488 GTB, 488 GTO, 488 GTO Aperta, 288 GTO, and the first born named Enzo.

F2003-GA, Bundy, Nelsonc275 and 3 others like this.
  5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    That looks awfully like old photos of a standard car being used to sell the story

F2003-GA and Ferrari 308 Vetro like this.
  6. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    no they are not

7. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Autocar is now carrying the same story - again without new facts

8. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Hard to understand why there is camouflage on the front splitter and the side vents when the bodywork underneath seems exactly the same as the GTB? The GTO will no doubt have significantly changed bodywork in these areas, so why camouflage the standard bodywork? Is it merely a message to the spies/market that the GTO is coming?

redcaruser likes this.
  9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I suspect Ferrari are having "fun" with spies and magazines/internet.
    That is a standard GTB and no need to camouflage what is clearly standard bodywork. We have spy photos already showing the new front end...

JagShergill and F2003-GA like this.
  10. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Take a look carefully, spy photos already seen showing the new front end matches perfectly with this mule.
    This is the real deal,not a 488 gtb.

11. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Just another mule. Doesn't have any distinctive bodywork like, for example, the different nose seen in post #748.

Like most mules of the GTO, the only change noticeable is that the horizontal splitter in the flank scoops is raised, indicating that the final version will have an enlarged intake for the intercooler.

sherpa23, crinoid and of2worlds like this.
  12. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    The Tdf was really unique as regards "specials" as it had revised sheet metal bodywork (new rear quarters and hatch) and not just changes to the bolted-on parts (bumpers, etc). As well, the rear quarter glass and body opening was revised.

For the "GTO", apart from the changes to the nose and hood (as in the 458 Speciale) it's probably safe to say that only the rear bumper will be revised. Doesn't seem like the rear quarters will be changed and so will be interesting to see how the manage to increase flow to the intercoolers, a mod seen on the mules. They might revert to 458-style quarter windows to feed the engine intake.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    AMuS reports:
    - less than 1300kg dry
    - 720 hp

of2worlds likes this.
  14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Agreed. Every time this happens the reveal car bears no resemblance to these odd test cars running around. Whatever they are testing it’s likely under the hood. They aren’t going to just parade their future cars around for anyone to see.

15. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    I'd hope for a trio of gills similar to the 288 GTO and TDF if it's going to be called a GTO.

ingegnere likes this.
  16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

not so sure...see post #748 on page 30...looks a little different to me. Regardless the camo in the back is standard gtb..though splitter looks a little on the "high side."

17. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Old news. We are in winter now, and as magical as Maranello is, trees however don't wear green leafs at this tis time. So probably not the most recent pictures used there. Come on guys. :)

nads and rossocorsa like this.
  18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    :)

Encyclopedia Brown!
    Excellent...lol

19. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Dealers are seeing the car mid-January in Maranello - so maybe ask your dealer for details after that.

20. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Exactly

21. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Having worked for an OEM, I can tell you that a lot of mules will have current production sheet metal with the revised powertrains. For example, I have seen a completely new suspension shoehorned into existing body work along with the engine and transmission. Then there are cars that have the new sheet metal along with the powertrain as you need to do this in order to fully test vehicle dynamics, powertrain cooling, etc.

22. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Well spotted there, I was about to jump and say "just another normal GTB" as all body panels are plain GTB.

Not this case then, but it's sometimes funny/exasperating ;) how people claim mule or spy pics whenever they see a little excess tape. Sometimes I reckon it could be the holy grail inside but the body is plain simple production body, no reason for big news...

Ferrari 308 Vetro likes this.
  23. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Yes! If a GTO, needs to have the gills.