Is the 488 really selling? | Page 22 | FerrariChat

Is the 488 really selling?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458trofeo, Jul 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John458

John458 Karting

Nov 24, 2014
    Ohio
    If you don't mind modifying your 488, Novitec chip will increase HP by another 90+ HP for $5k. This is an option with turbos!

2. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Probably not too much. The profile of car model sales is that most of them occur within the first 18 months of the car's life. That's why the different models overlap - GTB has been available for over a year now (therefore a slow down will soon be expected by Ferrari and factored in), Spider is becoming more available and won't really be too affected by a coupe P14, the P14 itself should have its early supply taken up by existing McLaren owners, and after all that, within 12 months there should be some visibility on the next 488, the Speciale.

McLaren demand must come from somewhere though. Most likely it is a mix of Ferrari and other brands such as Lambo, Audi, Aston etc. Probably split quite equally I would guess. In the last few years worldwide demand seems to have increased at a much higher rate than existing brands' production capacity. The advent of a new manufacturer like McLaren has probably served to keep prices from spiralling under those circumstances by mopping up some of the excess.

3. Visioneer

Visioneer Karting

Aug 4, 2016

I get that but then won't the 488 Speciale be going up against a P14 LT? If a P14 will likely mash a 488, should I be looking at ordering a P14 LT over a 488 Speciale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    So has the 488 been a success so far,meeting sales targets?

5. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Maybe my experience is anecdotal, but I walked into the local Ferrari dealer for a peek (my first time there) and walked out 40 minutes later with their 488 GTB allocation for an April build. How often does this happen? Can it be construed as a sign of flagging consumer interest in the 488? Is the 488 market being cannibalized by the expected arrival of the 488 “GTO”? Or, did I just get lucky? I feel soooo lucky. ☘️

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    most of the "list" years waiting is a myth. especially year 2-3 you can pretty much walk in and get immediate allocation. We did that with the Cali T, you can do with the 488 now. last year of production, but you could even do it with a F12.

7. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    #532 Napoli, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    I remember all too well the times when I was unpleasantly denied even getting on a list. Put me off Ferrari for more than a decade.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I've also figured out walking in and asking to get on the list won't get you very far. that's because existing customers are already in the rotation ahead of you and that is pretty significant list. if you want to really start getting on the list only way to do that is take a cashiers check and sit there with salesman specing out your options. that lets them know you're serious. not that people saying they want to be on the list wouldn't go through purchase, but if you are Ferrari part of the filter for dealers is how easy will the customer be. the easier you are the better few emails, few calls, open check book, and tell them you will trade the car only back to them understanding you will take a big depreciation hit.

9. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Which makes my recent experience a head scratcher. I didn’t have to beg or hector or cajole or flash money or jump through any hoops. And, no list. Walked in sans a prior relationship with the dealer and got the build then and there.

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    what part of the world/country? i had the same experience with wide world when i was 26. walked in dressed in shorts and a t-shirt and they took me seriously. ive been buying cars from them since.

rob lay likes this.
  11. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Algar Ferrari, Bryn Mawr, PA. (Philadelphia). I am totally new to the area and the dealer.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think your experience similar to mine Cali T last year of production and now 488 3 years in. It isn't very tough year 2, much less year 3.

13. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Maybe the lesson is to visit my dealer every 3 years to spec a build.

14. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Algar sent out an email several weeks ago there were allocations available for both the 488 GTB and Spider for delivery next Spring.

15. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Just about any local dealer can get a 488 build pronto these days. No purchase history. Same on my local dealer--if I want can order for Spring no issue. For me there are too many 100 mile 'pre-owned' with $20k++ already off sticker. No need to order.

16. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I’ve been offered a spider build at two different dealerships (one no purchase history ) for a car in 6-7 months. Which leads me to believe IMHO I’m gonna just wait a bit and buy one under sticker.

IPO1 likes this.
  17. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    None of this was the case a couple years into the run of the 360, 430, or 458... Things have changed.

18. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Ferrari is now a publicly traded company .

IPO1 likes this.
  19. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Thanks for not taking my GTB allocation. :)

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    There is increasing demand worldwide, but Ferrari has more serious competition and it has also been increasing supply. The biggest bubble Ferrari has going is the "wait list", but they seem to be playing that a little close now. None of the other manufactures have any serious waitlists, you can get 720S off the floor right now. If Ferrari completely loses that what do that have? Arguably they aren't the fastest car even on a track. Arguably they aren't the best designed. Arguably they don't hold their value any better. I don't see Ferrari ever slipping to "subpar", but I see the entire business flattening.

21. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Agreed and I see their business expanding. Lower priced car(s) coming, GASP an SUV and so on and so forth. Public company has to exceed shareholders expectation$, and the only way to do that these days is to expand the model line up.

The days of arrogant F-car dealers is coming to an end (thankfully). They will be forced to be more competitive, which includes cutting the BS games and attitude.

rob lay likes this.
  22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Says a lot about the 488 imo.

23. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Exactly. The Ferrari exclusivity days are coming to an end. SUV and increased production will make it mainstream. If they don't seriously step up their game for the upcoming 488 GTO they will loose the crown to Lamborghini. The Performante is a home run. The upcoming aventador SV will be just as good. And this coming from a guy that has been a die hard Ferrari fan since age 5

IPO1 likes this.
  24. AlgaeHater

AlgaeHater Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2004
    Bellevue, WA
    #549 AlgaeHater, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Don't mean to bash Ferrari as I am still a huge fan, but the 488 was the model that caused me to break my pattern of upgrading with a new model release. I went from a 360 > 430 > 430 Scud > 458 Spider - the latter I traded in on a Huracan Performante. The lust I felt to upgrade to the latest and greatest V8 Ferrari sadly ended with the 488 as I felt in some ways my 458 was superior.

The 488 is a great car, but as other have pointed out there are more compelling offerings now from Porsche/McLaren/Lamborghini IMO. This certainly wasn't the case in the past. I remember when I had my Scud, there was nothing from Lambo/Porsche that was even remotely close in terms of styling+performance.

Last anecdote regarding exclusivity of the 488. I remember receiving emails from the dealer advertising extended day-trip test drives of the 488. I don't recall previous V8 models needing this to move inventory. I see rough roads ahead for the Prancing horse :( but I hope I'm proven wrong.

IPO1 likes this.
  25. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I really do not understand the hate against the 488... and I'm pretty sure the sales numbers of the 488 will easily exceed those of the 458, 430 or 360.