Is the 488 really selling? | Page 23 | FerrariChat

Is the 488 really selling?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458trofeo, Jul 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

There in lies the problem.

IPO1 likes this.
  2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I cannot argue with that :)
    But I'm not going to buy a Spyker for its exclusivity.

Napoli, redcaruser and Cigarzman like this.
  3. Zombies

Zombies Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    I’m a first time Ferrari buyer mainly due to dealers playing games with the 991.2 GT3. The experience was painless - walk in, get an allocation, custom spec it, delivery soon.

Is this a problem? I don’t think so.

Ferrari is likely building more. Exclusivity is down. Depreciation will be higher.

All of those are not problems if you plan to drive the car regularly and enjoy it. They may be a worse “investment” than they used to be, but hang out with Porsche owners for a bit and most of them will say they’d gladly take depreciation if they could buy the cars they want without ADM.

I guess it depends on what you’re lookin for. If I see 2 488s on the road in a month instead of 1 488 it won’t make me like my car any less.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Great post.
    Ferraris games led to competitors entering the market and getting customers who might have been ferraris, Maclren beign a case in point.
    Now if porche wants to play games and you cant get a car you go elsewhere, seems like ferrari is happy to have you..

Competition is a great thing.

G. Pepper and GuyIncognito like this.
  5. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    I left Porsche not because of any bad relationships (still own a 991 GT3), but because they won’t stop with the ugly cars. So many cool machines out there now, and Porsche is still making 25 versions of the 911.

Jo Sta7 and dustman like this.
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ha, I'm kind of playing the field right now because of recent bad experience I had with getting new Ferrari, trades, and working on allocations. :) I just got a 2015 GT3 and loving the car, haven't tried to get a new Porsche yet though.

IPO1 likes this.
  7. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    I have been with Ferrari and Porsche for years. In the past 5 years I have had a F430, 458, and 2 different 991.1 GT3's (same dealer one white one was black). I have been on the list for a .2 GT3 for over a year. I didn't get the first round of GT3's so I moved on. I walked in my local F car dealer and ordered a decent spec 2018 488GTB with a 5 month wait which I am already 2 months in. Perfect time to take delivery in spring. Anyhow my point is Porsche has become very difficult to deal with getting a allocation. So I am back to Ferrari and look forward to the 488 GTB. The car is amazing their is just a lot of competition now from McLaren and Porsche. Nothing compares to a Ferrari in my opinion. I find the 488 GTB to be an amazing car and I look forward to delivery!!

8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I have no hate at all...and may get one, for clarity. But the comment stands, you can walk in and get a 488 which you could not do for prior gens.

9. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Congrats on 488!

As to Porsche you really should have worked the phones. My first GT3 (15) I got for MSRP no history. My GT3RS (16) I got for MSRP from another dealer no history (I did have to buy tire package from him, but whatever) same dealer ordered my .2GT3 and came in last month (MSRP). Already sold it--prefer my RS. MUCH easier to find a good Porsche dealer than Ferrari dealer--BUT that is changing. F car dealers are having to change their tune as they have unsold allocations to move. It's a buyers market and that's a good thing.

rob lay likes this.
  10. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    I agree with you. Sometimes one can get lucky calling around. Timing is everything. The dealer I use for Porsches is solid and I purchased 2 GT3’s from them. If I get a slot I will order one in a manual. If not I will enjoy the 488 immensely! GT3 is not equivalent to a 458, 488 720S etc etc but price point is way higher lets be fair. You should have kept your .2 but surely you did well on it :).

11. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Well next year, keep in mind there will be GT2RS, .2GT3 and coming GT3RS all in one year. I think if you want a .2GT3, you will get one...honestly. Maybe not this first go around, but next year allocation should NOT be an issue (maybe not at your dealer but another). As to .2GT3 I ordered, I had it for 2 weeks and sold back to my dealer for same I bought. I'm not greedy. I just prefer my '16 RS and will now wait until '19 GT3RS makes it's debut. However, going to probably grab a McLaren to keep me in check next year.

12. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M

Which Mac?

13. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    TBD. Not P15 :eek:

dhari likes this.
  14. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Good choice! So much bang for the buck with a '15 GT3. You just can't go wrong.

IPO1 likes this.
  15. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Awesome choice Zinger!! Just look at these pictures and image the joy of spending bunches of time figuring out what the heck all buttons do (heck, I am still trying)!!

Good luck on your 488 Great choice!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

jumpinjohn likes this.
  16. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    Viperjoe and bberg009 like this.
  17. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I think the 488 is awesome. Picked up a 2018 to tide me over while waiting for the 812. Figured to trade it but my wife thinks we should keep both!

I could care less about exclusivity - it is simply a joy to drive!!

18. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

Sorry to go off topic but I got an rs and love it but have a gt3 allocation for next fall- not sure what I want to do with it. Keep it or get my deposit back? I only have room for two sports cars- somright nownits 488 and rs. Tell me what you didn’t like about the .2 gt3?

19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    The 488 is near the end of its run and it is not surprising their are available allocations. The Porsche GT3, limited special car, is right at the beginning of its limited run and not surprising has an allocation list.
    Nothing has changed IMO.
    When you can walk in off the street without ever buying a Ferrari and immediately order a 488 GTO, then you all might have a point.

20. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    When you say the 488 is near the end of its run, do you think the GTO (or whatever the LE or SE will be called) is a replacement for the 488? Three years seems a really short run...

21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Isn't it typically regular car for 2-3 years...then "Speciale" for a year or so...then "Aperta" for limited run...then new model?

22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Oops...meant "there are" :)

23. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    #573 jumpinjohn, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    I thought the “Speciale” was in addition to rather than a replacement for the “Regular” edition. The 458 was built in the Regular version unto the launch of the 488, wasn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. xfrgtr

xfrgtr Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    It is an addition, not a replacement.

G. Pepper and jumpinjohn like this.
  25. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    So we are really mid-cycle on the 488 not at the end if it goes as 458 for six years...

xfrgtr likes this.