Shipping Ferraris to Europe and driving them around for a few weeks | FerrariChat

Shipping Ferraris to Europe and driving them around for a few weeks

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by MedinaCustomClassics, Dec 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MedinaCustomClassics

Dec 7, 2006
    Medina, Washington
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    Hello Everyone,

Myself and my three sons are exploring the possibility of shipping 4 cars to Germany (two Ferrari's a 488 and an FF) and driving them around Europe next summer and was wondering if anyone has done this? I've searched to get info and I can't find anything definitive. My questions are:

1. Besides the obvious cost to ship the cars, are there any import or custom or registration costs involved?
    a. Can we just keep our WA license plates on the cars for all the countries
    2. Do we need special driver's licenses for the cars?
    3. Do we need to have the cars inspected or "authorized" to drive there (they are all US models)

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    That sounds like fun! I am sending you a PM with a contact that might be able to help.

3. MedinaCustomClassics

Dec 7, 2006
    Medina, Washington
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    Sounds great Cearules11, thank you. Mark

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Lots of Arabs do just this every summer - some even get legal insurance which is needed but I believe can be a problem from the US - local laws apply so your car may be confiscated in several EU territories if you go too fast for example

There's a great thread a couple of months ago about this in the vintage section by a guy who took his car over for the 70th celebrations

I think the answers are
    1 - no
    2 - yes
    3 - maybe international which reflects your local and is issued by AAA (?) - no different to renting Hertz in Europe
    4 - no

5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

For the UK

1). No, long as it’s temporary, it’s no problem
    1a) yes, no registration necessary
    2) no, your home licences are good
    3) no, they are US cars subject to US legislation

You would need, I think, to purchase insurance to drive here, as even if your US insurance is valid, it may be difficult to prove, and to make a claim if anything happens. You might ring ‘Marsh Private Clients’ based in the city of London (my insurers) for advice, as they are worldwide, and they may be able to sort out European cover extension too, saving you making separate arrangements in Europe (pre-brexit anyway)

The UK, at least, allows you to drive on a foreign licence for , I think, two years, before you have to get a UK licence. Car tax/registration doesn’t apply to foreign registered cars, and your registration plates will therefore be valid (I think these points are Europe wide, but best to have someone elsewhere chime in too as I’m no expert.

I’ve driven the gumball, bull run and cannonball runs, and I’ve never had to re-register or re-insure cars to go anywhere in Europe or the US, although I seem to remember the odd customs clearances into parts of Eastern Europe that weren’t in the EU and in the US (although I was provided with a US registered car myself for that one). The good thing is that in the UK, you won’t get speeding points on your licence, but be careful as if the speeds are high enough, as in the US, they might arrest you and take you to court, inviting them to fine you big bucks (owning super cars it’s a given, although not on a Swiss scale of big bucks, don’t bother speeding there) or even prison if it’s ridiculous. Cops don’t carry guns on the whole, you’d be very unlucky to get chased down by an armed response vehicle in the UK, although it could technically happen, but they would ordinarily call in a traffic car to get you unless they suspected drugs or guns.

6. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    BTW, I have a Euro spec valentine one here that you can use while in Europe if you want to, let me know

7. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    As far as I'm aware Sid is correct for the UK and I expect this applies to any country, except I though it was one year in country before you had to get a UK lic? (I brought a bike over years ago when I came to the Uk to do a degree)

That said for a summer jaunt, as long as the cars are legal in their home country with all road taxes etc in date, you have a valid drivers lic, and you carry valid insurance I would have thought you are good to go. Just make sure you bring all your paper work with you; probably best to bring originals not copies.

Should be great fun...you get to get the cars out of 2nd gear, being able to do over 55!!! :)

Also probably a cheaper option to ship rather than rent!

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Oh BOY! This thread could be a bad thing for me!

I've dreamt of taking my euro spec 360 back to Europe for a summer drive. :) So all we need is European insurance...

daytona355 likes this.
  9. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Don’t worry mate, I might be wrong, but I’m sure on some of the cop shows on tv (reality ones) when they stop foreign drivers it’s either two or three years and then they have to take a test for a uk licence.

10. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Whenever I drove in Europe, and other places in the world I always got an international drivers permit, used it at the rental car companies, and when I got pulled over I did not have to surrender my US drivers license,...just my own experience..
    https://www.e-itca.org/license-passenger-vehicle/

11. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    I just signed my and my youngest 16 year old son up for the Padre-figlio event in Monte Carlo next year, and they are renting me the same cars as I own (488 spider) for $3,800 for the weekend.

Did not know you could ship car and use it in Europe for the summer. So anyone know any European insurance company that would issue a short term insurance?

12. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Like I said, try Marsh Private Clients, 0044 2071384630. I’m pretty sure they would be able to help, and do guaranteed value comprehensive cover for me

13. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    What's the difference between somebody shipping a car from the States to Germany and drive it privately and somebody from Russia driving 3000km from Sibiria to Germany and use the car there? Nothing. However, I would clarify with the German customs which documents they want to see.
    You definitely need a third party insurance (standard cover here in Germany is 100Mil) that is valid for Germany.
    US drivers license is sufficient.
    Be avare that the Autobahns in Germany are very crowded! All traffic from north to south and east to west Europe has to go through Germany.
    The right lane of the Autobahns is normally full of trucks.
    Trucks are not allowed on German Autobahns on Sundays.
    So, if you want to check whether your cars go faster than 300km/h Sunday morning 4am would be a good time.
    Otherwise, expect heavy traffic.

daytona355 likes this.
  14. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Awesome Daytona.. will give them a call tomorrow.. appreciate it!!!

15. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I live in Dubai and have enjoyed a BMW motorcycle in Italy (and all of Europe) for over 10 years (with Dubai plates). ACI in Italy will insure it for €8 per day (third party liability only). I call before I go and put the insurance on for the duration of the trip. The insurance is good throughout the EU. No special driving license is required (I have a Canadian license as well as a Dubai one).

Was pulled over in Spain and hit (slowly) once from behind in Milan. Police had no issues with legality of my vehicle either time. While the day rate will surely be more than €8 for a car (and comprehensive insurance is not offered) it is possible. I can ask my contact (he runs a bike rental business in Milan) if he could assist with a bike.

To bring it it you may have to convince the customs people you will not sell it in Italy (I have never been asked for a bond or carnet for my bike but my friend has always collect the bike from the airport for me). FWIW I sent a car to Italy for restoration about 2 years ago and the resto shop did have to post a bond. If of interest PM me and I can put you in contact.

daytona355 likes this.
  16. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
  17. MedinaCustomClassics

Dec 7, 2006
    Medina, Washington
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    I knew I would get great info here. Thanks to everyone. I'll pick the pieces out and start checking off boxes. Super excited. My boys and I did a trip up the US west coast last summer. So fun. Had the police in the lobby of our hotel a couple of times asking about us (they saw our cars in the parking lot) but overall very positive experience. We didn't do crazy ****, just hit it hard in the twisties. Thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you plan on driving in Italy, you should have an IDP.

19. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    In Italy, I relied on the family name to put off any overeager cops, although most encouraged us to go faster and faster until we were close to Rome and Milan. Naples, I found a few packs of cigarettes worked as well as euros!