Ferrari: Race to immortality | FerrariChat

Ferrari: Race to immortality

Discussion in 'F1' started by UKtifosi, Dec 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UKtifosi

UKtifosi Karting

May 7, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Glyde
    I’ve just seen this documentary at the Design Centre in Kensington, London. It’s a very impressive collection of original footage (some recently discovered) about five Ferrari drivers in the years 1955-60 and partly narrated by Enzo Ferrari. They were two Brits Mike Hawthorn and Peter Collins, two Italians Eugenio Castellotti and Luigi Musso and a Spanish aristocrat turned racing driver Alfonso de Portago. Much of it is fun with the drivers leading the playboy life around the European circuits but most of it is shocking. Four of the drivers were killed on the track.

Two moments stand out. One describes how gladiatorial racing was then. One of the driver’s girlfriends remembers a car crashing, the driver being thrown out but amazingly he walked away unharmed – and part of the crowd sighed with disappointment!

One tells us a bit about Enzo. When Castellotti was killed the news was telephoned to Maranello. A PA told Enzo what had happened and Enzo answered “Castellotti dead, no (tiny pause) …and how is the car?”

I don’t know whether the movie is showing in the States, it had a very limited run in London but the DVD is available on Amazon. Give a broad hint and maybe it’ll end up in your Christmas stocking;)

tifoso2728 likes this.
  2. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks for info. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it over here in the us. If others have leads let me know.

3. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Aren’t these type of documentaries usually a region free format, or multi format?, if so, Amazon.co.uk will be the place to buy it

4. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks. All I saw are regioned. I know there are ways around that but frankly I don't really care enough to try. If there isn't a usual way to get in the states, I don't really care enough to try other methods.

5. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Fair enough. I wonder if I could get it and convert to a digital download for you

6. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    If you do I'd love a copy too! If there's a cost I'm sure we can figure that out too.

7. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I’ll order it today and see what I can do

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I ordered it from Amazon.co.uk, where it is listed as being in PAL Region 2 format. Fortunately, I have a multi-system DVD player.

daytona355 likes this.
  9. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Cool

Mine arrived today, so I’ll try and get it done tonight

10. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I saw it today. The quality of the footage is fantastic and this might be one of the best things I saw about racing in the last years....
    Although we certainly do not want to have the times back when all these drivers were killed they still were much more charismatic than all the drivers today. And it explains why they never had these stats as todays drivers have: it was simply doubtfull that they lived long enough....this makes Fangios career stand out even more!

UKtifosi, daytona355 and 375+ like this.
  11. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Mine turned up, and it says region 4! Lord knows if it’ll work on a uk player, but like you, I have a multi region one, so should be good to go on that, and worst case scenario, I’ll play on the multi and record on the dvd recorder to make some dvds if I can’t use the laptop to create a file

12. UKtifosi

UKtifosi Karting

May 7, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Glyde
    When I saw it, the director and producer were present and talked about the film. Most of the personal footage of the drivers and their 'many' girlfriends was taken by Alfonso De Portago with his new small cine camera. On a darker note the director explained that much of the crash footage was so horrific (fire etc) they couldn't show it. It's a brilliant study of real heroes of who Enzo claimed 'whether you win or die you'll be immortal'

13. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Ok, so with windows 10 not even supporting dvd playback, so had to get software for that, I’ve tried to copy the file, burn an image, all sorts, to no avail.

I can just link a blue ray/dvd player to another dvd recorder unit and make discs, but presumably they would be regionalised just the same? Anyone here able to give me a clue how to get a file off the disc so you guys in the states can share it, cos I’m stumped, I’m a very basic pc user, couldn’t program it to save my life!

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Ferrari seemed to lose more drivers than anyone else, and it seemed to be Enzo's pushing them to either win, or die trying! In the movie "Grand Prix", J.P. Sarti says words of that effect to Louise, the day before he himself would lose his life.

ricksb likes this.
  15. UKtifosi

UKtifosi Karting

May 7, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Glyde
    For the guys who haven't seen it, I'd hate that you've got the impression it's all about death on the track. There's amazing racing action and the director has seamlessly added new footage that gives you a great feeling of what it was to be behind the wheel of these cigar-shaped red beauties:) Maybe they plan to launch it in the States in the New Year or it'll appear on Netflix - the Williams and Brabham films are on there.

16. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Just saw this movie on STARZ channel in the U.S. (Finally!) fantastic retrospective on an age of racing where such a career choice included very high risk. It did paint Enzo as somewhat uncaring and only focused on racing. I'm not certain if the selections of audio clips from him were carefully positioned to carry this out or if he was really just that way.

Regardless, a very worthwhile viewing

17. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I saw this movie during a recent flight I had taken in the US. Well worth the time!

18. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson

19. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
    Thank you for the heads-up - I just watched it on STARZ. Such a different era of racing, and only a dozen years or so before I started watching the sport in the late 60's. Very sobering, very worthwhile watching and I would highly recommend it - especially to anyone who has only watched modern era F1. Puts a lot of things in perspective.

20. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Saw the movie this week on a Delta flight. Well worth seeing, good documentary with some raw images of really bad accidents.

F1 was very different back then. At the end of the movie they say that beween 1950 and 1960, something like 30 drivers were killed.

I didnt know the about good frienship between Colling and Hawthorne.

21. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Also saw this on a Delta One flight....very good movie. Yes sobering on the racing safety of that era vs. today. We’ve come a long way.

Sent from my 16M

22. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    The Chris Nixon book 'Mon Ami Mate' is a fantastic read; we spent our wedding evening in one of the pubs in Ripley (Surrey) where Mike Hawthorne used to drink, and I drove past the place where he died (on the A3 near Guildford) pretty much every day for at least a couple of years.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  23. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Will definitely check out the book

24. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Watched tonight on Amazon Video, it was excellent. The footage was unbelievably good for the period. It was so much more dangerous back then, the drivers truly were gladiators.

25. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    When I was a kid my dad would tell me about all the early drivers - Moss,Brooks, Mol,Hawthorne Collins, Musso, DePortago, Fangio. what stands out so remarkable now to me is that Moss and Fangio have lived on to ripe old age ( Fangio dying pretty elderly) and Moss still kicking. Tony Brooks as well.
    when you meet these guys today in their old age, its hard to see how fearless they were. if you ever get to the Ferrari Museum in Maranello and see the old cars up close - how they were in the day its amazing the speed they were driving and that they still lived. Stirling Moss was asked what the fastest he had ever driven in his pro career and he said about 160MPH.... but when you look at some of the cars like that ... at 160... you had to have huge ... spherical attachments.. and be blind to the danger.

the movie is good - but is less about Ferrari than Hawthorne and Collins.... which alone is a great story. Mon ami mate... if you like the movie try the book the Cruel sport... very good.