Montreal locked in F1 till 2029!!! Salut Gilles | FerrariChat

Montreal locked in F1 till 2029!!! Salut Gilles

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Mar 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    paulchua, vinny84, Bundy and 2 others like this.
  2. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Fantastic News!!

I honestly tought an American Company would have preferred moving this North American race to the US but I'm glad they're not.

3. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    In light of Montreal's contract renewal, they are getting a new pit building to be completed by 2019 F1's race. Here's a rendering.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

1st story: F1 team garages, control tower and offices for the staff
    2nd story: Hospitality boxes, control tower, podium and media areas
    3rd story: Hospitality boxes and terrace

The project will require an investment of $48 million, $30 million of which will come from the City of Montreal and $18 million from the Ministère des Affaires municipales et de l'Occupation du territoire (MAMOT).

Here are the main deadlines to be met:

December 14, 2017: Start of the call for tender process
    March 2018: Awarding the contract
    June 2018: Canadian F1 Grand Prix
    July 2018: Start of the construction work
    April 2019: End of the construction work
    June 2019: Canadian F1 Grand Prix

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/images-new-pit-building-montreal-f1-circuit-988637/

Bundy, Finlander and F2003-GA like this.
  4. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    They would literally have to be crazy + stupid to move this incredibly successful race anywhere else. Montreal, Mexico, Oz, and maybe a couple of others are benchmarks the rest of the GPs should aspire toward.

william, Bas, E60 M5 and 2 others like this.
  5. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Nice I'll be attending the 2019 race

tifoso2728 likes this.
  6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That is great news. What a marvelous venue and great city.

E60 M5 and hairy_scotsman like this.
  7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The model here for many tracks is Montreal. You leave the track you pay a price. We need more of these type circuits.

daytona355 likes this.
  8. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Wow that looks amazing. I would definitely love to see myself in those stands.

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Montreal's paddock facility is probably one of the less developed in F-1, and compared to places like Austin or Silverstone - its in the dark ages. I love the design it looks amazing.

10. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Easily one of my favorite races simply because you can get yourself in trouble for being stupid and overbearing as a driver. That really is a beautiful design. I hope the final product comes out just like that. It's hard to believe that it will cost 50mm. That's just a huge amount of money.

11. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Whatever the deadlines...double it!
    Whatever the budget...triple it!

....it`s the Montreal way of doing business. ;)

vinuneuro, F2003-GA and ingegnere like this.
  12. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I love Montreal!!! I've been going there for years!! Great city and great people!!

F2003-GA likes this.
  13. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Glad to hear!! Need to plan for trip this year!

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Perfect. One of my favourite races, love the new pit building.

F2003-GA likes this.
  15. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Coupled this with the announcement that they are cancelling the Formula E race going forward as the new mayor cannot make a business case, this is very significant. Montreal is one of my favorite races to attend, thrilled they will be keeping F1. Very few places truly embrace the race weekend like Montreal.

16. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Very cool, I've yet to attend this one but it's on the short list!

17. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    tifoso2728 likes this.
  18. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I agree. I went to Austin, Texas for a Grand Prix a few years ago and it was nothing like Montreal. Even though Austin is a nice city unfortunately the business commerce and the people do no embrace the Grand Prix weekend like Montreal does.

hairy_scotsman likes this.
  19. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    JANUARY 18, 2018

Montreal promoter opposes Friday axe plans

A race promoter says he is basically happy with Liberty Media's new approach as the sport gets together in London this week.

Liberty has convened a series of major meetings with F1 stakeholders this week, including all 21 race promoters on the 2018 grid.

"Since I took over the Montreal race in 2010, I have never participated in a meeting with all my counterparts present without exception," Francois Dumontier told Le Journal de Montreal newspaper.

"More than ever, Liberty Media is listening to its promoters. And that's a good sign," the Canadian GP promoter added.

It is clear Liberty is taking a different approach in the post-Bernie Ecclestone era, but Dumontier is keeping his lips sealed.

"Our discussions are confidential," he said, "but you will hear about it soon."

Dumontier would, however, admit that he is totally opposed to reported plans to scrap Friday practice sessions.

"Fans come to Montreal in large numbers on Fridays," he said. "I cannot imagine the Canadian grand prix over just two days. This is also the case in Australia and a few other places."

Liberty's meeting with team bosses will take place on Thursday, with the new F1 owners to reveal their plans for the future of the category.

20. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yeah, they're idiots if they cut Friday practice imho. So that's probably what will happen. Doesn't hurt places where hardly anyone goes on Friday, like Austin, China, etc, but it penalizes venues that have great attendance all 3 days. Places like Montreal, Mexico, Silverstone, Spa, etc have been drawing more people on Friday than places like COTA & a few others do on Saturday or maybe even Sunday.

21. shawdut

shawdut Formula Junior

May 30, 2014
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shawn D
    I'm going this year - who else is?

22. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Engine makers plan Canada upgrades

MAY 21, 2018

F1 engine manufacturers are planning significant upgrades for the Canadian grand prix.

After Monaco this weekend, the sport will be heading to Montreal for round seven -- marking the one-third distance in the 21-race 2018 calendar.

So with the rules requiring drivers to use no more than three engines in 2018, it means the first scheduled major performance upgrades are due.

La Gazzetta dello Sport reports that Ferrari's Canada upgrade is worth 15-20 horse power.

Renault engine boss Remi Taffin, meanwhile, said: "I hope the upgrades for Canada will meet our expectations."

And like Ferrari, Honda is hoping its Montreal upgrade will increase power by up to 20hp.

"Achieving quick results in the development of the power unit is not easy," Honda technical boss Toyoharu Tanabe said.

"Of course we plan to make updates in the course of the season, but I cannot say yet exactly when this will happen."

23. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    They must be really hoping that their allowing Mercedes to win every race and championship doesn’t kill the sport long before 2029 then....... who’d have bet money on that?, not me. Glad it’s a done deal, but F1 needs to pick up the racing and forget the fixing a bit sharpish if they are going to stop fans leaving the sport

Isobel and F2003-GA like this.
  24. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  25. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004