I went in for a 5k major, it cost XXXX more and here's what happened" | Page 3 | FerrariChat

I went in for a 5k major, it cost XXXX more and here's what happened"

Discussion in '348/355' started by johnk..., Dec 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    If this is true, (and I believe it is) then a $3500 belt swap at a shop that charges $120/hr. makes sense. But no shop (in America) will ever admit that it takes only 10 hours for a pro to remove and replace the engine.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Totally understand; i am just telling you can change the belts this way; thats it;)
    Not trying to offend all the aspiring mechanics out there;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Fastest way off a Ferris wheel is to jump.

4. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yeah I am not sure. I really need an SD tool. But I am going to have the dealer go through it this time. I want everything checked out.

Yes, I will. This car probably has a lot of differed maintenance. This $15k is the major service and the rest of the problems. I will post it up here when I do. My car isn't due in until the second week of January.

See that is what I can't figure out. Everything is expensive and everything wants to kill you. Surely the weather is just as nice in Hawaii? :p

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Yes, you can change belts that way. I talked to Roselli about that and I don't think he is super proud of that job. I just spent two weeks going over all the deferred maintenance on a car that got the belt through the gas tank job. Yes, you can do the belt that way, but that is not a service.

Monza 456, paulchua and Dave rocks like this.
  6. Natkingcolebasket69

Agreed! Roselli is amazing; he only does it if people are a bit tight on ressources. Sometimes our beloved ferraris come second to life events and some money needs saving;)

paulchua likes this.
  7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Sure they will. But that's not the complete job.

8. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Please review your prior post when you suggested "most" use the gas tank removal. It's 99% false.

9. Natkingcolebasket69

Ok Professor;)

10. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Just to dig this wabbit hole a little deeper....

This is on my 348.

When I had my last service done I was talking to the mechanic about majors/cambelts, and he said they now recommend on some cars that they do the belts by dropping the tank. His argument was that a) its cheaper and b) it disturbs less on the car. Whilst I can get the first argument, I don't get the second cause if it doesn't work when its disturbed, then it will eventually break, wont it? He did say that they were more than happy to drop the engine if the customer wished and other work on the engine required it.

The mechanic is a very well respected indie over here in the Uk.

That said, whilst a major/cambelt on mine isn't due for another 1-2 years, I'm not sure I'll go back, although you never hear a bad word about these guys.

I will be having mine dropped as that's the right way to do it, it has a couple of oil leaks that will need addressing and I want the remainder of the coolant hoses swapped out for silicon (I've already done the ones to the radiators), and no we don't pay £1k for a hose kit over here either, maybe £200 all in, with your choice of colour!

Back on topic:
    Last receipt of an engine out cambelt and annual in 2016 by an indie (so no valve check) was £1.9k. Included hill tensioner bearings. Labour for the engine out and cam belts was 15 hours (annual and checks was separate).

I had annual, plugs, fuel filters and gearbox oil last year at an indie £800.

(I think you guys in the US pay less for your cars, but get clobbered on the servicing; whilst the poor sods in Aus just get clobbered on tax for luxury items...oh and don't forget the spiders!!!)

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    A belt failed on my 308 due to a failing cam drive gear bearing. Belt became misaligned, rode up on the pulley fence and was cut. The failure had nothing to do with the age of the belts which happened to be 25 years, 27k miles, and changing belts every 3 or 5 years wouldn't have necessarily caught the bearing failure. Except for the cut the belt looked almost new. No cracks at the base of the teeth. No excessive wear. See below. One belt is new, one 25 years/27k miles. Cost to repair, including the 30k major, was much less than what it would have cost to have the belts and tensioners changed every 5 years. Oh, and "while they were in there" the shop told me I should replace the clutch, water pump, plug extenders, distributor caps, rotors and ignition wires. I said, the clutch was fine, the water pump wasn't leaking, the distributor caps and rotors were good, the extenders weren't arcing, and I had just restrung the ignition wires with the correct spiral wound cable, so... no thanks. When I picked up the car the tech said it was one of the best running 308 he had ever worked on. I guess the less you mess with these cars the less chance there is that something will get screwed up. So it's now 7 years later and the car still runs great and starts right up. The clutch is fine, the water pump still isn't leaking, and it doesn't over heat.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    What car on the planet doesn't have a list of deferred items if you were to go by the manufactures maintenance schedule?

13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Are you the same person recommending that having sex with your clothes gets you the same results as without?

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Wow u guys are just so subtle and funny, no wonder u end up with a president like trump ...smh

15. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    And you are very sharp with your observations, since I live in Canada....

Yassa likes this.
  16. Natkingcolebasket69

Just stick to the thread...smh

17. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Says the guy who derailed it....

18. Natkingcolebasket69

I beg u pardon but i was talking about a way to remove belt without engine out and u come in here with ur incredible sense of humor. Go on pistons head please or provide value to the thread.

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Hey guys, give it a rest. Back on topic. How about it?

20. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    I've been told that the slightest variation in cam timing is quite important and excessive heat is a byproduct of cars not being timed properly. I'm guessing the people who would do a belt service by removing the gas tank are the same one's disconnecting the thermocouples to avoid a CEL/slow down light. Who needs those anyway? Premature wear on rubber components due to excessive heart, melted valves, melted cats, maybe even a melted car if it spontaneously combusts...but hey, you saved some money on the major!

Half ass should not be the standard for Ferrari, nor should saving money.

21. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Is that what the OP is asking when he started this thread? I see that you passed reading comprehension with ease

22. Natkingcolebasket69

Let it go man. U are lowering this thread with your attacks. Please let us know how you would service your 355 instead. Enlight this thread.

23. Natkingcolebasket69

Regarding the thermocouplers though... They are known to be faulty and i could see why some have disconnected them in the past. Not sure about the mondial but in the TR they are a catastrophe and that buzzing sound is horrible;)

24. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Boooo!!

Well it's okay I'm all out of popcorn anyway.

:p

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  25. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I serviced my 348 myself with a few colleagues.

We discovered that nothing extra was needed. Just the typical components that come in the 348 Major kit (from Ricambi)

vdettore likes this.