FERRARI 360 SPIDER SOFT TOP ROOF HOOD HYDRAULIC LIQUID RESERVOIR HOW TO TOP IT UP | Page 4 | FerrariChat

FERRARI 360 SPIDER SOFT TOP ROOF HOOD HYDRAULIC LIQUID RESERVOIR HOW TO TOP IT UP

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by spiderscott, Feb 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Silber

Silber Karting

Jun 6, 2014
    Switzerland
    Thanks again to everyone for contributing to this thread. The screw was in tight so I had to take the reservoir out to get an extension on the allen key, and it was a bit of a fiddle getting it all back on the two hangers afterwards, but got there in the end. Interestingly, the new fluid was a clear yellow colour. I filled it to half way between the bullseye and the top of the container and after one open-close cycle it dropped to the perfect mid-point where it has now stayed after a few more cycles. Hopefully that'll be it for now and I can enjoy some crisp autumn top-down motoring!

Thanks again, and Scott give yourself a pat on the back! Cheers

2. Ferrari Spider

Ferrari Spider Karting

Jan 16, 2012
    North America
    Having the same issue with my top, i can hear the pump running but no movement in the top. Going to purchase the Mercedes oil today, would 1 litre be enough?

3. Silber

Silber Karting

Jun 6, 2014
    Switzerland
    Yes, 1 litre is plenty.

Just to update the thread, both my hydraulic pumps needed replacing, which was nice within a month of buying the car. At least is awesome fun and sounds rediculous with the hood down!

4. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Last night went to put the top down and it stopped as soon as the front opened and smoke came out of the engine bay. I stopped the car and looked to find a bunch of hydraulic fluid in the bottom pan. Does anyone know what happened here? Is it a broken hose? Or something worse. I closed the top manually with the tool and now the light stays on and if I go over 20 in the car it buzzes with a warning sound.

I can't get the car to the shop until Monday but I want to have an idea what it is

5. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Yikes, that was scary. Hope it was repaired ok for you. Mine is starting to hesitate. Always closes after a couple attempts. Normally happens when you have the top down during a show, on a warm engine after a drive to the place. I think my car was stored with the top down as well. Only 2 owners before me but too much time all wrinkled up. So I have creases in the rear fairing areas and drivers side strap is getting loose. Not too bad though. Where are the plastic clips on the panel? I might heat them up with a hair dryer first, though it's plenty hot now ;)

6. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    I checked the level yesterday. The plastic pins on the door edge were already broken. Car was serviced at dealer last year before I bought it. The two on the inside were fine and the weatherstrip holds the outer edge securely. The level was fine and even on the top line of max on the circle. The fluid was dark, however. I got a set of stubby Allen keys and an oil trigger can. so I think I may try and swap it out anyway. How low can you take the level in the tank without getting air in the system? I suppose it might self bleed by exercising it several times. I can check a diagram in the meantime. When my top stops, it is usually all the way down, from being closed, the cover opens, but then the top never starts it way up from fully down. I release the switch, the cover sags back down, the system beeps and throws the light, then I start it again everything whirs like it does every time, but then the top starts moving as usual. You know, it even did this on my test drive but at that point, I figured it was Italian logic circuits and character quirks. So every time it has balked, all I have to do is wait a couple seconds, try again and it works. I wonder if the straps could effect this? The only stretching I notice, is on the fairing triangle over the drivers headrest. The seam and pocket along that line is a little loose. Passenger side is fine.

7. Pagoda1966

Pagoda1966 Rookie

Dec 13, 2017
    Full Name:
    Anthony Place
    Spiderscott, your legacy lives on my friend - another happy customer !

I am not handy with the scanners and can't believe I'm sitting here having FIXED A FERRARI !

The fluid was only a little low and I was sceptical whether this would do the trick. Half an hour to strip it down, one anxious day waiting for the Mercedes fluid to arrive, half an hour to put it back together and voila - 25 seconds and the roof is up / down !

Against a backdrop of £17k for a new roof, if I'd put this into a garage and they'd presented me with a £2k bill, I'd have been delighted. Can you imagine how chuffed I am with a £12.66 bill and I did it myself ?!?! Next stop engine rebuild (joking of course!).

Thanks again buddy, really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

8. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Very happy that 10 years on my thread is still helping you guys out and saving you some big bills

cheers
    Scott

9. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Pretty impressive that its also had 44 thousand views in that time :)

lrn2ride and gsworld2014 like this.
  10. Dan Troy

Dan Troy Rookie

May 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Troy
    I've had nothing but problems with my 2001 360 convertible top I had 2 different shops look at it and each time it was better and then it would slow down and stop working last summer I had a local Ferrari dealer look at it and of course you know what that costand it stopped working this week .So I filled it just like you said and the thing worked like a champ.
    Thanks

11. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Hey Dan. Welcome to Ferrari Chat. There is some terrific information here. I hope you will stick around and participate. This Technical Forum is great. I think you will also find the 360 Forum to be full of good folks. Join us!

12. Poi Dog

Poi Dog Rookie

Oct 16, 2017
    Left Coast Florida
    The boards on the internet are great. Actually makes owning a Ferrari affordable (relatively speaking) . My issue, a slow top also, filled it up and works like a charm. Thanks guys.

13. Serge Mallat

Serge Mallat Rookie

Jan 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Serge Mallat
    I want to thank you for the detailed pictures. My top would not fold down all the way. We followed your pictures because it seems that that was the most common issue (fluid). All we did is add some of the Mercedes fluid and top worked immediately. Well done. Thank you for taking the time to take the pictures step by step. Forza Ferrari!!!!!! SeSe

14. Dano360NC

Dano360NC Karting

Aug 11, 2012
    Southeastern PA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Thank you. My visions of dollars flying out the window may have been premature. I will have to try this out.

15. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
    Anyone has issue of the fluid leaking? I filled it up and after just 1 closing/opening cycle, the fluid is low again. Can't find where it's leaking from. Can a Leonardo read the code or identify the problem?

16. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    A leak is unlikely. It has happened to me when I was changing out the fluid. I have to cycle the top a few times to bleed out the air. Fill it up again as needed. Good luck.

edit: BTW, run the engine when operating the top, so that the pump will give full head pressure to ensure a good fluid circulation.

17. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
    I'll try that. Thank you

18. Astrong16103

Astrong16103 Rookie

Mar 13, 2013
    Detroit, MI
    Had similar hesitation problems. 2006 430. Then a big dramatic frozen-while-half-way-open moment. After a rest it wouldn’t close but at least stowed. Now it will only open until the roof section should flip forward to close to the windshield - then gives up when the motor times out. When fully open and stowed, the car flips out and beeps endlessly while driving. As it turns out - my fluid is too high when stowed. Awaiting the aforementioned fluid and will try a bleed and possibly fluid change. Anything else you guys can think of? Fingers crossed

Attached Files:

19. Garagem743

Garagem743 Rookie

Nov 13, 2019
    Brazil
    Full Name:
    Fabio Nascimento Albuquerque de Freitas
    Good afternoon,
    Can anyone help me, I need the Modena Spider 360 2004 roof disassembly and mounting procedure?
    Thank you

20. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    What part do you need help with? The procedures are described in both the 360 and F430 Spider Workshop Manuals. The Capote Assemblies are identical.

21. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Hold onto that vision. It is possible to shovel huge amounts of money at one.

22. freddi67

freddi67 Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    Wow! What a fantastic post! Thanks so much for the pics and the step by step information. Most excellent!

23. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I think it's safe to say that if you need to top up your reservoir, it's highly likely that one or more of your rams is leaking.

24. 360fly

360fly Rookie

Sep 4, 2015
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I am reading this post after having my hydraulic cylinder leaking at the windscreen. Have talked to a cylinder repair shop but need to get the ram or rams out. Our cars have 6 rams it looks like. Does anyone have a step by step on to R&R these cylinders? I am assuming that I should pull and rebuild all not just the leaking one.
    Any help is appreciated.

25. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell