20 minutes idling and then alarm!? | FerrariChat

20 minutes idling and then alarm!?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by drapp54, Dec 18, 2017.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drapp54

drapp54 Rookie

May 4, 2004
    There is snow on the ground so my new 488 spider (<600 miles) is under the covers for the winter. I moved it out of the garage and let it idle for 20 minutes when an alarm went off, much like a theft alarm, and a "turn off engine" message came on. Does anyone know why this would happen? Thanks.

2. Az458

Az458 Karting

Apr 24, 2015
    Over heating/ not getting a oxygen into the engine Probably

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. YellowMurci

YellowMurci Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    NyC Baby!
    Full Name:
    Harry
    yea i get that sometimes too

4. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    Any chance your exhaust has a partial obstruction? Rodents sometimes build nests in exhaust pipes, causing excessive back pressure and overheating as a consequence. Any evidence of mice in the garage? Don't leave any bird food of corn sacks in the garage or rodents will cache that food... possibly in your exhausts.

5. THC

THC Rookie

Oct 24, 2016
    This is normal .These cars are meant to be moving with all the vents air cooled.Its a safety measure to stop it from overheating.EU also does not allow cars to idle as its bad for environment ,may be due to that as well

6. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Also, to prevent fuel dilution of the oil, I would imagine. At idle, the rings don't seal as well as when under load. Cold starts and extended idling are big contributors to fuel bypass and dilution of the oil.

While the alert is in all likelyhood ECU controlled in order to prevent extended idling, for the potential and ever present storage/mice issue, I use a copper chore boy (kitchen scrubbers) stuffed in each tailpipe. A good rev or three might tell if mice or ground squirrels have turned the exhaust into a larder. Burning embers of toasted nuts and seeds will shoot out. DO THIS OUTSIDE (aimed safely away from the garage and combustible materials) OR YOU COULD START A FIRE!

7. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    No worries dealer says it’s normal as a safety measure. My Lusso does that too all the time when I idle and sometimes forget about it.

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    We know now it's not a big deal :)

Q: why would you do that (I moved it out of the garage and let it idle for 20 minutes) ?

Technically there is no need to do so, in fact, it is counterproductive .... not good for oil end engine this way ...

So you probably meant well ... but it's not good to do so this way. :D

SD455TA and docf like this.
  9. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    I discovered this today!

My battery wasn't charged enough for the tender to maintain charge after coming back from PPF/ceramic; so I idled it to charge the batter before putting it back in for the rest of the winter.

10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Your car new ? and does have the factory battery ? Which Ferrari ?

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Please don't do that. The combustion chambers and valves will get coated with soot, the oil pressure at idle may not be adequate for such long periods of idle. If you worry about your battery, get an Antigravity with restart feature.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If its under covers for the winter then leave it that way. No benefit to idling and the drain on the battery to start it is likely more than charging at idle versus the trickle charger.