Does your 488 have non LED steering wheel? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Does your 488 have non LED steering wheel?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Napoli, Nov 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Even if I didn't use the LED's on my 488 (though I do), I would still want them. They are part of the modern Ferrari car. To me, it would be like having a wooden steering wheel on my 328. I love the old wooden wheels, but the belong to a different era.

Afonsolaw and MANDALAY like this.
  2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

MANDALAY likes this.
  3. Rbwiii

Rbwiii Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    BW
    +1

4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Congratulations, Napoli! Great decision and rare combination. You won't regret it!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Napoli likes this.
  5. GreatNeckLawyer

May 10, 2008

Did your Dealer need to re-program the car to activate the LED shift lights on the new Wheel, and if so do you know what they did?

I have a new Steering Wheel that I want to install so as to add the LED Lights to a Car which was no-blessed by the factory, but I can not get a clear answer as to whether or not it is "plug and play" of if the Car needs to be re-programed (I have a Cali T, but I understand that things work the same on the Cali T as it does for the 488/458).

Thanks,

ANDY

6. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Andy I did swap my all leather steering wheel for the carbon fiber one with LEDs at the official dealer.

Needed software upgrade (to include the option to turn off and on the LEDs in the car's menu) and a wheel alignment.

From my experience, it isn't plug&play.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

7. TwinOne

TwinOne Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    Mizar V
    Full Name:
    Robert
    How exactly is this ordered? I didn't get the LED's because I don't care for the carbon fiber wheel.

8. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Good question. If the process my salesman followed is the way to do it, he added a "HD Help Desk (Modify)" sheet to the "Car Sales Order" sheet to be submitted to Ferrari for the build. Under the header of "Problem Description," he entered "LEDS - Customer requests to have standard style steering wheel with LED lights at top (LEDP)." I signed off on both sheets. Guessing your salesman will know what all of this means.

Hope this helps.

9. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Option code LEDL is now applicable to the LED/leather (non CF) steering wheel. I'm guessing that considerable demand has justified the need to create this option code. I do not know the associated price.

10. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Leather wheel is standard. With LED, add $3,055.

11. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    IMHO its a gimmick. Bugatti would never foist such a gimmick on a steering wheel. Rather, they use classic materials and feature classic looks, not blinking Christmas lights on the steering wheel. seriously, who really needs it unless on the track. I have 3 Fcars w/o it. its a bit distracting to be forced to watch it all the time. you know your car and can see the rev counter. leather wheel is classic, simple, timeless and will outlast the LED wheel fad. imagine going to buy a classic 488 30 years from now and seeing that outdated LED wheel, how silly it will look, like an old Motorola brick phone, as compared to a classic and timeless leather wheel. i realize my comment may not be popular, but its fact. i also realize that most who comment on this thread feel strongly about it and i respect that. and those who don't, simply won't comment. the silent majority is out there and believes that the blinking Christmas lights are a silly gimmick on street cars.

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Not quite so Agrun.

As pointed out before, the leds were a great help when I tracked the 458 at max speed(s) on the Hockenheim Ring last year.

It was the very quick view to see where I was in revs ... and I found that very helpful.

13. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Exactly right!

14. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France

It is actually nice to have on the track, and if one does not want to be "distracted" on the road, there is the option to disable them in the settings menu.
    People buying a car from the 70s today do not complain it has a leather steering wheel instead of a wooden one, it's normal for a car to have features of its time.

Melvok and Viperjoe like this.
  15. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    I acknowlegded its utility in the limited instance of tracking. For the rest of us who don't track these cars for fear of an uninsurable loss, it remains a silly gimmick. future buyers will view it as an outdated relic that should never have been included, like a cars that come with their own dated old phones that detract from its appearance. Electronic gizmos never stand up over time, compared to classic features.

16. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

Maybe it is just fun to have. Isn't that why we buy these cars?

Viperjoe and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

I appreciate that you think the lights aren’t your thing, but I don’t think they will be detract from values years and decades in the future. Actually quit the opposite. Because of the significance they play in the character of today’s Ferrari’s it will be an expectation that a car of strong value have the shift lights. As stated previously, the shift lights (much like other current features and materials) are relevant to today’s style. They are a snapshot in time, similar to wood wheels were in the 50’s and 60’s.

AlfistaPortoghese and Viperjoe like this.
  18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    That it is !

Viperjoe likes this.