McLaren 720S - 2017 | Page 36 | FerrariChat

McLaren 720S - 2017

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by dros1, Dec 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Initial fix was a rubber piece that fills that gap, but the screen should be added to cars currently in production. McLaren seems to do a decent job of making updates along the way.

2. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What's the big deal with just cleaning out some tiny stones each time you're done driving the car? I like the design flourish of the open door and I'm sure it's functional.

3. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    THE LITTLE PEBBLES MADE A LOT OF TICKING NOISE WITHOUT THE CLEAR SPRAY TO MUTE AS IT HIT THE PANELS,
    oops caps, sorry, second the screen would prevent more chipping up the tunnel.
    I think the cooling effect at 214 mph will be minimal with the change:)
    GTJOEY1314

4. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    The car pictured has film. Sand goes into the crevasse. I don’t care but needs screen. Normally no film there from factory.
    Like I say Xpel kids.

of2worlds likes this.
  5. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Well, should be getting delivery any day now, I f you read this thread its amazing how a car conceived to the public only8 months ago is now in private hands and has changed the supercar/hypercar landscape.
    As seen last month a stock 720s driven from home turning 9.6 seconds at atco raceway .
    The luxury package I bought brought it up to 330+ but there is NO OTHER CAR from a million dollars down that changed the landscape as this car does AND proves it EVERYDAY on videos!
    Great times before the gasoline runs dry!
    GTJOEY1314

CanAmFan likes this.
  6. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    I just got back from my 3rd track day at COTA, first time on Trofeo R tires....this is by far the best street car I've ever tracked. 2:21s in a stock car is no joke! Needs harnesses and a race seat. Inhales other exotics on the straightaways easily. Love it!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Nice.....

8. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    sounds incredible. what other cars have you tracked there? hows it compare to them (aside from accel advantage)? any issues with overheating brakes, trans, engine?

9. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    458, Huracan, Aventador, AMG GTS, Z06/Z07, Viper ACR, etc. It's the most forgiving, easiest car to go really quickly with. No bad habits, zero mechanical issues, super compliant suspension, and then that POWER.

F2003-GA and Sfumato like this.
  10. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    whoa, thats some lineup! how does it differ in lap times?

11. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    720s yesterday at thunderhill (my car but fast lap was driven by my coach). Time of 1:51. This is a very, very serious time which was faster then Viper ACR Extreme lap times at this raceway. I don't believe any street car (even modified) is close to the ACR exrtreme or 720s lap time at this track.

Sfumato and Jo Sta7 like this.
  12. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    The only one that's close is the ACR, but COTA is such a speed track, and the Viper is severely drag/gearing limited above 150 mph, so advantage, 720S. As exoticcardreamer noted above, no street car is close, except the ACR Extreme, which is on a much stickier tire with more downforce.

Schatten likes this.
  13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I see that there are lot of haters here on Fchat unwilling to accept how great this car is. The fact you can daily drive and then put up track times on par or better than track focused cars is just incredible.

exoticcardreamer likes this.
  14. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    I don't know, compared to other cars and threads, this car walks the walk.
    You cant deny the videos, dyno machines and track results.
    IMHO, I think people have been pretty calm, of course it has to do with, NO other car can compete.
    Again under a million dollars with the options it has, nothing comes close.
    IMHO.
    Just incase someone didn't read that , IMHO
    Having fun.....
    GTJOEY1314

15. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    1:51 is a staggeringly fast lap for a race car, let alone a street car at Thill. That said, I’m not surprised. I’ve driven the track a lot and after driving the 720 I said I thought the car might do a sub 1:50 at thill. Sounds like it’s possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    You probably know Andrie? He did it on his fifth and final lap. He didn't have any experience with the car before. He had to pass 3 cars on that lap and seemed to slow to pass one of them. He said he was driving it at about 80% and he will be able to get it to 1:49. He couldn't stop talking about the car. Here is a screenshot from my telemetry (excuse the typos as it is from my instagram stories).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sfumato likes this.
  17. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The car is fantastic. As far as a. "lot of haters here.." I don't think that is true. The real FChat people recognize a great car for what it is.

18. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Was that with the bypass or with the Cyclone at T5?

19. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    bypass.

20. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Also, what tires? Sorry for the 2 sep questions.

21. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    p-zero corsas (Prior to this track day the tires had 4 track days on them. New front brake pads and 6 mm left on rears). Car had 35% gas at the beginning of this session. Car is 100% stock.

I want to leave it this way so I can get apples to apples comparison with other cars (as you know; most people don't leave cars stock when they start publishing track times).

22. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Thx. Can I infer that the car needed new front pads after 4 track days?

23. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    yes. It's very odd that the front brake pads went out first. I've never experienced that in any mclaren or ferrari. Temps on front tires are higher then rears too. (2 full track days at sonoma and 2 full track days at Laguna Seca before front brake pads needed changing). Tires had plenty left on them after the first four track days. It'll be heading to another track inspection so I'll see how the rear's are doing. Dan thought the rears had two full track days left prior to this last track day.

24. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Just in case everyone is wondering what we are talking about regarding Thunder Hill; This is a very serious lap time. The track credibility of the car just skyrocketed among the track rats who are familiar with the tracks in the Northern California area.

25. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    This is very good information, not too surprising but good confirmation of what many believe this car is capable of. I cant wait to get mine out this spring. The only negative I've heard is that the suspension could be a tad more stiff but they may not matter depending on the track.

exoticcardreamer likes this.