Enzo magazine | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Enzo magazine

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by jm2, Nov 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No.
    Octane got even worse recently. Quality and especially the paper they use now is complete horror (ah yes, I forgot, they wanna save the world now......).
    And yes, their so-called editorial office really is a joke and totally dysfunctional.
    How to ruin a former excellent publication....... their early days were great but that is now history.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.
  2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Marcel,

Sorry to learn your experience with Octane matches mine.

Marc

3. moulag

moulag Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    not exclusively Ferrari but can I recommend a new-ish British magazine which quality is at the forefront.....www.5054magazine.co.uk

I have nothing to do with the publication, just a reader appreciating quality content

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I don't think I'm going to renew either Forza or Octane when they expire. Forza has just been terrible for the past year. the articles are thin, and while I know folks will like to read about all the new cars... you find the same stuff in Car, EVO, Octane, R&T, etc.... where are the good stories and details on Ferrari? not to mention the Race coverage is terrible - its like someone watched TV then wrote about it.

5. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    I completely agree with you about Forza. I let my subscription lapse a year or so ago. For the last few years I had only been subscribing since I had every issue going back to the first one in 1996. After noticing that complete sets are worth very little on Ebay, I figured why bother?

Lately, I have only kept taking Cavallino as I have every issue of it too. Sadly, I am very tempted to give up on them also. To me, at least, their format has become completely stale and boring. It is just one chassis profile after the other. Unless you are the owner of the particular vehicle being profiled, they all start to sound essentially the same at some point...

6. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I might have to have a slice of humble pie, friend brought me a copy of Enzo back from the UK and I am quite impressed with it, really enjoyed the V8 Ferrari article but the magazine is let down by poor quality paper.

What is needed in me opinion is a Mel Nichols Ferrari drive article....

7. Protemporum373872

Nov 11, 2015
    Hello, I purchased ENZO issue number 1 from W.H.Smiths (huge newsprint and media retailer, for the benefit of non - english readers), who now deny all knowledge of this publication, so purchased a subscription on 26th October 2017. Dysfunctional office "lost" this, but succeeded in taking subscription money !
    To cut a very long story short - after a least 12 emails still no issue 2 !
    In a perverse way, i am glad i am not the only person pulling my hair out !!

8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    See post #4.
    You are NOT alone.
    That chaos is totally indescribebable.

Marcel Massini

9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Ron, still wondering when you will tell the story of that amazing tdF that you created with a little help from Ferrari? If ever there was a modern Ferrari that deserved a cover story; it is your amazing tdF !!!

10. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The story will be told!

-CD- likes this.
  11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Thank you, that is great news for Via Corsa readers!

12. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    In the UK, issue 1 seemed to be available everywhere: I bought it with my shopping at the supermarket! Issue 2 was available nowhere and I had given up finding one until I discovered loads at Heathrow just before Christmas. I had expected that #3 would be just as difficult to find but today, due to another's generosity, I have been given this! Apparently the plan is for 4 per year. I have only had a quick look so far but it seems good, especially if you are a Dino fan! We will have to wait to see how easy it is to obtain in the shops and via subscription.

Robert

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  13. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Shame that we are losing some of the Ferrari articles from Octane and Evo to fill this mag.

14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Robert thanks for sharing a picture of the cover for the new issue of the Enzo magazine. Out here in the colonies the first 3 issues eventually showed up at 'Chapters' a bookstore, so will be on the lookout for the new issue.
    Strangely EVO has disappeared from the bookstore but instead turned up at the grocery store!

15. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Maybe my expectations are low, however, I enjoyed the second issue and look forward to getting my hands on the Dino at 50 issue. This magazine is available almost everywhere in Singapore.

16. notsofast

notsofast Karting

Sep 29, 2009
    I was surprised to see issue 1 in a Brisbane newsagency here in Australia but then again a lot of newsagents here carry Vantage the Aston mag so maybe not such a surprise. I havent read much of Vantage but I liked what I was able to read probably in part to me not knowing as much about Aston as I do Ferrari so maybe its an exploratory thing. Enjoyed Issue One of Enzo but haven't seen any issues since.

17. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    How does a print magazine in general, let alone one specializing in fairly narrow subject field can claim being "independent" ?
    By not accepting advertisement funding and only publishing articles by thoroughly (vetted?) un-biased journalists or members of public ?

18. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Is that a rhetorical question? Or do you want specific answers? I publish a print magazine and would call it independent.

19. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I subscribe to several UK based car magazines, and have for decades, and apparently they have different standards than in the U.S. Very often I see editorial content about a particular automobile, with a note after the end of the article thanking such-and-such a dealer for the use of the car and helpfully providing said dealer's contact information. Elsewhere in the magazine an ad will appear for the car. I'm not necessarily critical of that, because otherwise there may not have been an article about the car at all, but it does make me wonder how objective a description of the car I've just read.

20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #45 TTR, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Thank you, but mine was mainly rhetorical question.
    Having known owners/publishers, editors, freelance & staff journalists (both photo & writer) of several different print, mostly automotive, publications, some for 30+ years and still in business, my opinion or views of "independent" journalism may differ from that of others.
    I can't tell how many times I've suggested article subjects or approaches to enthusiastic (private) reception, only to be rebuked by "well, that is cool and definately interesting stuff, but would likely p**s off some of our advertisers, so can't do it"
    I used to receive a couple years of gift-subscription to a certain vintage car related "market" magazine, gifted by a good friend who himself had been long time subscriber and admirer of their "reporting"(?) for years, but once I eventually pointed out all the apparent "contradictions" and "biases" in their "reporting" he contacted them not only to receive a discreet/indirect, over the phone, confirmation for all I had explained, but also to insist they should "expose" these "contradictions" or loose all the 3(?) automatically renewing subscriptions, including mine, he was paying for. Guess what happened.

P.S. Full disclosure: I do receive several different (vintage) automotive magazine subscriptions, some gifted, some (long time) self-paid, but most end up in my "library" unopened.

21. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Interesting. I’ve had some constraints given to me by companies who we covered in editorials but never once have I said no to content because it would piss off an advertiser. We gift subscriptions all the time but that too has no bearing on editorial content. Maybe I need to find moody advertisers in the meantime.

of2worlds likes this.
  22. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Perhaps a bit unrealistic expectation also, but for me to consider a magazine or any journalistic entity even somewhat "independent" would require no one on their staff accepting any direct or indirect comps of any sorts from any advertisers or affiliates, including and perhaps even more specfically from those involved with subjects they're covering.

23. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Apparently the only way I get this in Africa is to subscribe but seeing some here have had issues and they live relatively speaking closer than I do. As an aside the prices these magazines are going for on e bay...totally crazy in my opinion.

jm2 likes this.
  24. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Issue #1 supposedly sold for $100 recently.

25. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Crazy in my opinion.

jm2 likes this.