Ground Clearance | FerrariChat

Ground Clearance

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by DanB11, Dec 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DanB11

DanB11 Rookie

Dec 21, 2017
    Hello everyone,

I am doing some research on exotic cars and am looking to get ground clearance specs on current Ferrari models....I have called multiple dealerships and absolutely no one has been able to answer my questions. So I'm hoping that this knowledgeable Ferrari community will be able to help me out!
    Ground clearance specs on any model is helpful and appreciated!
    Thanks.

2. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Google is your friend ;)
    My non current 355 says 5.1” with a Google search..
    .....and welcome to F chat.
    I just measured the front bumper skid plates at 5.5”, but further back some parts appear to be a bit lower.

3. DanB11

DanB11 Rookie

Dec 21, 2017
    Thanks for the response!
    I should have said current or non-current model, it all helps!
    Yes my understanding is that the differential's will be the lowest part of the vehicle.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Dan, may I ask why you need to know? Sometimes basic ground clearances won't always give you a good idea of, say, how road-friendly (or garage-friendly) a car is. Older cars with long nose overhangs cause all kinds of problems, whereas, more modern sports cars with shorter noses (but perhaps even lower ground clearances) may be able to go where the older cars can't. Also, some modern sports cars have nose lifters.

With speed humps and anti-reversing spikes being added to my local streets, it's getting harder to find a navigable street. Some of the speed humps have steep rises, proving to be particularly troublesome.
    I think the vehicle laws in my state restrict the lowest height to 4 inches, but local councils certainly don't install speed humps and anti-reversing mechanisms with this in mind. The anti-reversing spikes in my local park are at least 6 inches high (raised).

If you're looking to buy trolley jacks, hoists or ramps for your garage, then you'll probably find that many won't suit sports cars. For hoists and trolley jacks, you may need to drive your car onto some home made wooden ramps/steps (a couple of inches high) to give you enough clearance. I have some Race Ramps (tm) designed for sports cars, but still needed their not-so-cheap optional extenders for my Ferrari F355. I think the door sill jacking points on my F355 are just over 4 inches high (However, I'm not sure how good the springs/shockers are and the tyres may not be standard). If you want to jack up a car with flat tyres, you may find yourself with big problems. Perhaps an airbag-type lifter may be a solution in this case (?).

5. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ground clearance? What’s that?

6. DanB11

DanB11 Rookie

Dec 21, 2017
    I am involved in the carwash industry and so many people have concerns with exotics like ferrari's going through a carwash because of the vehicle height requirements of equipment in the wash tunnel. While I realize that the vast majority of Ferrari owners would not put their Italian Stallion through an express wash - it is a concern that people have.

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Nope. Never. I'd let it stay dusty first.

But since you asked, my 308's clearance is 5".

8. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    what is the ground clearance of a F360 with 2 heavy/(normal american) passengers? (One driver and one passenger?)

I believe 120mm is the unladen clearance. I need to know because our community is repaving with more speed bumps, I want to head them off at the pass.

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What car are you looking at? No point in wasting time measuring a Lusso if you are looking at a 488...

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    360 Spider, 4.72'' unladen per google,

but ladden with 2 full size people and fuel, what it clearance then?

11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    most hover in at 5 inches give or take 1/2 inch.