Flying lesson suggestions for my 14 year old son | FerrariChat

Flying lesson suggestions for my 14 year old son

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Smiles, Dec 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    At the top of my son's Christmas list are flight lessons.

I should say that he's very responsible, gets good grades, and is quite mature. He also spends a lot of time on flight simulators on the PC.

I will make some calls to the county airport, but I thought I would start here.

The www.AOPA.org website has some good help. Should I offer to get him Sport Rated to start? Is there online training for basic knowledge, like boaterexam.com has for boats?

Any recommendations or shared experiences would be most welcome. Thanks!

Matt

2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Considering he can't solo until 16 and get a license until 17 he'll either be building a lot of dual instruction time beyond what is required even for a regular PPL, or he'll get bored if trying to space out the required training over 2-3 yrs (e.g. flying only once per month). An option, if locally available, would be to work towards a glider rating first. He would learn valuable skills and probably have some great experiences helping glider ops.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I would look at gliders for a 14 year old.

My kids have been learning (daughter just turned 17, son is 20), and it's a great experience. But if there is a glider operation somewhere around, that's where I would start.

It's getting hard to find good CFIs! Okay, it's always been hard to find good ones, but at least in the past there was more of a choice.

4. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I started younger than your son going about once a month until I turned 15. At 15 I flew much more frequently until I soloed. By the time I soloed, flying was second nature. By the time I turned 17, I killed the PPL check ride. I never got bored, but that's probably because I had good instructors varying it up all along the way.

I would not bother with the light sport license. It's really not all that useful, and a full PPL isn't much more difficult (if at all).

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Sailplane skills are invaluable and sailplanes are a joy to fly and teach more about meteorology and how to use it.

Chupacabra likes this.
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I would highly recommend finding a Cessna Flight Training center. They had curriculum done by King. I would also suggest going through check-ride in 6-pack before then picking up the G1000.

dmark1 likes this.
  7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Interesting stuff. Thank you.

There’s a sailplane location just as far (time-wise, not distance) as the county airport.

When did 17 become the age for a PPL? I could’ve sworn that there was no age requirement when I was young. But I’m often wrong, which you’d know if you follow my posts!

Matt

8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

From Wiki:
    Different ages for Student Certificate and Private Certificate:

"The minimum age for a Student Pilot Certificate is 14 for balloons and gliders, and 16 for powered flight (airplanes, helicopters, and gyroplanes).

The minimum age for a Private Pilot Certificate is 16 for balloons and gliders, and 17 for powered flight (airplanes, helicopters, and gyroplanes). Pilots can begin training at any age and can solo balloons and gliders from age 14, and powered aircraft from age 16"

9. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Before 1976, otherwise I got cheated.:D

10. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I didn't start lessons until I was 16 since that was the age for solo. Part of the excitement, and challenge, for me was to see how soon (# of hrs) you were signed off for solo. This will of course vary depending on many things, including your instructor, type of school, and where you train, i.e. at controlled airport you will eat up hrs ($) just taxiing around and waiting for TO. IMO training at a larger field also does not challenge a student in the landing phase of flight. I believe my training at a small 25ft wide strip cutout of a cornfield had a huge positive impact on my piloting skills. This is also something glider training will promote, since there are no go arounds or power adjustments on short final. I understand that where you train is not always something you can control easily, which makes it more imperative to find a good instructor who can teach these aspects. Note: landing in 500 ft on a 5000 ft runway is much much easier than landing in 500ft on a 1400 ft runway.

Nothing wrong with starting early, especially if the goal is to continue on with advanced training (e.g. instrument, commercial, etc). As Joker mentioned, if anything it will make the PPL check ride a breeze. You never stop learning and your son will always be flying with an instructor at times throughout his time as a pilot.

11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Faulty memory here!

:)

Matt

12. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    But, don't discount real time training in a controlled airspace. I trained out of KVGT (North Las Vegas). It's a controlled airport with a lot of business traffic, tour flights, and various other commercial operators buzzing around all the time. There's a lot to be said for knowing how to properly navigate in a busy airspace.

RWP137 likes this.
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I agree 100%, I trained at a 3,000 foot Class B uncontrolled with Class D airport 5 miles away. We experienced it all!

14. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Agree that a pilot must learn those procedures and be comfortable in that environment. However, when starting out from zero the focus should be 100% on learning how to fly an airplane not manage radio traffic. So all you are doing is paying for the extra time involved in operating in such an environment while your instructor divides his time between teaching you and playing co-pilot (i.e. the guy who talks on the radio). IMHO YMMV:D

15. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    I really don't remember my instructor working the radios but for my first couple of lessons. I don't know, radio work just wasn't an issue for me. I kind of enjoyed it. Of course, at least for a while, I always tried to fly as early in the morning as possible, so traffic wasn't too bad.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't remember it being a big deal, actually I think if you do it from the beginning you don't know any better. Might actually be challenges if you are spoiled on little radio and then have to pick it up. However, one big disadvantage of training from busy area is flight to practice area is 10 minutes, so a little time wasted there. It is even worse places like North Dallas that are 15-20 minutes to practice area.

17. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Don't do sport pilot.
    If you want a book, you can get him the airplane flying handbook. It can be a little dry though- it's available online for free or in print for a fee.

As previously stated a Cessna Pilot Center will offer a course through King Schools. The CFI will tell you how they want to handle that portion of the training.

He could technically take an online course from King or MZeroA, get his endorsement for the ground school and take the written test having never flown a lesson.

rob lay likes this.
  18. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    There is a 2yr time limit on the validity of the knowledge test result, i.e. need to complete the check ride within 2yrs.

19. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    I was going to mention this. Sporty's has a pretty good app-based program that can be done on any tablet. I utilized their app when I got back into flying after a good long layoff. I found it to be much better and more useful than the old King tapes I had.

It actually seems pretty common now days that people do a full ground school and pass their written before actually starting to fly.

20. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    A suggestion: a Discovery Flight is an inexpensive way to get a taste for it. Then, buy a nice simulator setup with the proper controls for him to work on for a year. He could also start listening to ATC at various airports online during the timeframe. At 15 he can start work on the written & flight lessons, and grab the certificate right at 16. He could actually have a decent amount of hours under his belt by the time he gets there.

21. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    That's what I was thinking about doing for my instrument rating.

22. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I forgot about that.

23. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    don't know if this is still current...
    too lazy to check in the Regs
    if one took lessons from a flight school with approved curriculum the requirements were less ( hours) to get a PPL vs training with an independent instructor... flight and instructor time is not cheap

choosing a certified curriculum school can save on costs

choosing a flight school with multiple planes and instructors helps by maintaining a tight schedule vs random lessons which can cause a lot of review refresh time before moving on

24. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    If a kid wants to learn to fly....I say....get 'em in a plane. Period. Doesn't matter the age.

but that's me

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yes, part 141. that's what I did. more than savings from 10 less hours or whatever it was the pace is very brisk. you don't get in trap when only taking 1 lesson every week or two and spending the first half relearning. you are doing 2-3 flights a week and not having to spend much time on previous lessons. part 141 schools just have that attitude because they have many students going through it of efficiency and pace. I think reason SOO many pilots never finish certificate is #1 they go too slow having to spend so much time relearning. #2 the school & instructors aren't focused and lack of pace. both of those then equal the BIG reason of $$$$$.