3500GT, AM101-1886 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

3500GT, AM101-1886

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Dalin, Jan 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #26 Portenos, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Are you sure it was a Lucas fuel pump.
    I am thinking it was originally fitted with two MONOFLUX fuel pumps, like the ones shown in the photos below.
    I have had these fuel lines made in Italy for my car #916 (see photo) but the fittings were very difficult to source.
    In the end I located the originals, at a very dear price.
    Ciao,
    FGM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dalin

Dalin Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    #27 Dalin, Oct 12, 2016
    This is exactly what the technical sheet says, see picture. The car was delivered with carburetors, my impression is that sometimes in the time when injection cars were already produced, they must have changed from Monoflux to Lucas pump, probably because Monoflux were too outdated and not that good anymore compared to what Lucas offered? Or was the Monoflux used all the time you think and someone just made a mistake in the technical sheet?

3. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Does it say carburetors on the build sheet?
    It would be interesting to hear from others who actually have, as originally fitted, a Lucas low pressure pump.
    Regarding this particular question your guess is as good as mine.
    Ciao,
    FGM

4. Dalin

Dalin Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    #29 Dalin, Oct 12, 2016
  5. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Very good.
    It seems yes your car was delivered with Weber 42 DCOE 8's.
    Now the only question is, Lucas low pressure pump, or typo.
    I have to believe its a typo.
    But its only a guess.
    FGM

6. Dalin

Dalin Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    #31 Dalin, Oct 14, 2016
    OK, here comes the answer about Lucas fuel pump:

This is the information I received:
    1961 --> 1 Lucas pump (plunged, inside the fuel tank) (model 2 F.P) + filter Fispa (model FN.376.R) external. (Configuration used mostly on the injection engine version)

As shown in table 32 of the parts manual, fuel pump shall be plunged in a small box into the fuel tank. The proof stands in my technical data sheet, reading the whole text after "Lucas" it doesn't say "iniezione" as I first thought, but "ad immersione", which means... plunged!

Problem solved, unfortunately only days after my new fuel tank was finished, so probably I will have to cut it again...

The remaining question is now positioning of the fuel filter, most likely it was not under the rear wing anymore, but in the engine compartment? Can anybody with a GTi confirm/make a picture of?

7. Dalin

Dalin Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    #32 Dalin, Oct 19, 2016
  8. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Congratulations, the body looks very well done, and the engine looks simply beautiful!
    More photos will be very welcome as you progress.
    Ciao,
    FGM

9. Dalin

Dalin Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    #34 Dalin, Oct 31, 2016
  10. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Those doors are not easy, but it looks like you have a very good feel for preparing them.
    Do I see al new fasteners?
    Great job and yes, everything must be fitted, then re fitted again and again together with the seals before paint.
    Ciao,
    FGM

11. Dalin

Dalin Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    Thanks Frank! Always very encouraging to see your comments.
    Yes, the fasteners are new, unfortunately the originals were not usable. I will look after the visible ones to match the correct ones.

12. Dalin

Dalin Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    #37 Dalin, Jul 5, 2017
    It's been some time since my last post, but plenty of things have happened. Well, I though the car would be finished by now back then, still a bit of work as every small thing takes much more time than I would ever imagine.

So, what did we do since October? The car has spent 4 months in the paint workshop, returned in a beautiful Grigio Newmarket Metallizzato, great quality of work, took me some time to get used to the colour, but it looks more beautiful every day.

Engine is now in, as are the windscreens, the ceiling and dashboard covered by upholstery, most of electrics done, chrome parts - greatly done - have just returned and being installed, most should be done within a few weeks before she finally goes to the upholsterer to finish the interior, then it's going to be just cosmetics.

Most of the jobs are of very good quality, but man makes mistakes as well - the biggest fault of mine were an improper choice of companies refurbishing the instruments and the steering wheel - both left me speechless when returned, the guy making the steering wheel simply created a new totally different one, having lied to me about working on it for more than half a year, the instruments were done pretty fast by a company in England, but with a pretty poor result. Both have to be redone by proper experts. Man learns by making mistakes...

13. jjeffries

jjeffries Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    John Jeffries
    Great transformation for this handsome and gentlemanly car...a true aristocrat. I once owned, briefly, a rough 58 Alfa Touring Spider with steel hardtop. This car reminds me of it, just better. John in CT

14. Dalin

Dalin Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    #39 Dalin, Jul 17, 2017
    A few more things in now, the dashboard almost finished waiting for the instruments to return.
    Radio in, need to source speakers.
    Antenna, placed at the back of the car, is Autovox electric type. Two wires, on of which closes the antenna when connected to +, supposed to be connected to + pole all the time. The other one, when connected to + ejects the antenna - does anybody have any experience how that should be connected? Is the antenna supposed to be operated by radio, or should there be a separate switcher? (there is no wire coming from the radio which might send + to the antenna, was thinking about some diode or something that would tell the antenna the radio was switched on?)

Airbox, the later fiberglass type, was an incredible job to get in. No way it could be got into the car with the 3500GT long air horns already in, the solution in the end was to get the air horns out, then the airbox in (already with literally milimetres of space), then getting the air horns in one by one, screwing them to carbs while moving the airbox back and forward to get a little more space where needed. Is that the same for the older type metal airbox?

15. Dalin

Dalin Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    More delays. All in except for a few things. The car in a trimmer workshop now, interior almost finished, trunk to be done in the next few days. Then a few chromed parts would be missing, a guy owning our workshop had his company closed suddenly for using environment unfriendly old technology. Thanks god it's winter starting here and the car not anymore in such a hurry - plenty of other work in the meantime...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Spectacular!! You are doing a marvelous job! As you now know none of this is easy. I totally understand how you felt getting the cold air box installed.
    The color combination is very handsome. Thank you for posting the photos of the progress.
    Ciao,
    FGM

17. Dalin

Dalin Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    Thanks Frank, you are always encouraging. I am learning to be patient, everything takes time. Hopefully it pays off, I made quite a few mistakes on the way that upset me and took more time to correct. Steering wheel still to be sorted out, one from 1960 3500GT has been borrowed, this car should have the white button type.
    Teaser of interior (almost) finished, few minor details to be fine tuned later.
    Winter is just starting here, so no more in a rush to get the car finished soon as I have more urgent work on another car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. GT ROCK

GT ROCK Karting

Jul 24, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Excellent job Dalin, This will be one of the best 3500GTs on the road. The boot trim is amazing.
    Keith

lineaTesoro likes this.
  19. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Can I applaud you .....When I go through these projects and everyone laughs,they never understand the what and why.
    Then when complete everyone wants it!
    Detail is wonderful, just a lovely car, enjoy it and please DRIVE IT!
    All the best
    GTJOEY1314

20. Dalin

Dalin Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    And finally she is finished!
    A few flaws still - steering wheel is being worked on, in the meantime a different 3500GT is borrowed, Fispa water bottle I was unable to find so far.
    Drives great, better and better with every km covered - so far 700km driven.
    Oil cooling pump was the major thing that broke down during that time, was a replacement purchased new, only confirms old saying that as many as possible original parts need to be kept - the new production thing melted inside as there is no bearing inside and the alloy it is made from was too unstable when hot, the pump got stuck with the belt ripped to pieces.

I call her Cleopatra. There is a pretty good chance the first owner might have been calling her same name, as he has bought the car while working as a main choreographer of the Cleopatra movie in 1961-62 in Rome. He has ordered the car in Franco Cornacchia dealership in October that year, in grey metallic paint, with a red leather interior. He has been using the car in Rome until the movie has been finished in 1962, and has onboarded a ship along with the car and movie stars Liz Taylor and Dick Burton, then his friends, to get the Maserati to his home in San Francisco. He has been using it regularly, allegedly, and often riding it with another friend of his, 40’s movie star and dancer Rita Hayworth.

Fast forward to 2014, I bought the car for my 40th birthday, in very sorrow state. Restoration has been long, but with all the care the car deserves it is hard to speed things up too much. I hope the car now looks as close as possible to as the first owner has picked it up in late 1961 from the dealership.

Mr. Hermes Pan, thank you for starting the story of this car in such a beautiful way.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JulianMerak and Rudolf M like this.
  21. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Beautiful!! You have done a magnificent job. The color combination is stunning and very elegant.
    Now drive it, drive it, drive it.
    Ciao,
    FGM

22. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    In one word; Stunning! Congratulations, she is gorgeous!

Thanks for taking us through all the steps. Great story.

Thanks, RF.

23. GT ROCK

GT ROCK Karting

Jul 24, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Well done Dalin,
    My car is also finished as you know and you have reminded me to put final pics on the forum.
    I found it difficult at times getting information. The forum is a great way of finding out how things were put together and getting encouragement from others
    including the grand master.

24. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Very, very, nice !!!!!

Ivan

25. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3