400 Thermostat | FerrariChat

400 Thermostat

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by MrL, Dec 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MrL

MrL Rookie

May 26, 2013
    England, UK
  2. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Not sure if the housing has just been painted nicely making it look like plastic.

I would say I can't believe the cost of a replacement being such a simple component but nothing now surprises me with these cars

3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day,

The Thermostat on the GTC4 you posted looks to be a "standard" thermostat for the 400, 365, Boxers (some). It is all metal and to my knowledge there is not an aftermarket replacement. I have attached a better picture of what this thermostat looks like. It is part number 106393 Or 106393/A and can be bought from the usual sources (Eurospares, Ferrari UK, Ebay, etc). From what I can see prices range from 222 GBP (Eurospares), 210 GBP (Ferrari UK), $368 USD (Ebay).

Cheers,

Sam

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
  5. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    That is correct - Mercedes part nr. 001 203 06 75. I think it's used on one of the MB Unimog models.

6. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Also available at www.autoepoca.it Code: 3153

7. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    I just googled Behr thermostats and find that they make them with black polimer housings for $60-70 USD. Also, Pelican Parts has some very cool aluminium ones in various configurations for about the same prices.. Keep in mind, that I almost lost my 400i engine some years back. I have absolutely to faith in this Behr piece. I hope that this is of some use to someone. Thank you. Jq.

8. MrL

MrL Rookie

May 26, 2013
    England, UK
    Thanks for your replies. I ended up going to Maranello Classic Parts and getting a new one.

9. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
  10. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Just to correct a typo in my post on the Behr thermostat: I have absolutely faith in this unit. NO/Zero/Zilch/Period. Failure almost destoyed my engine. Jq.

11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Replaced a typo with a typo.

Ashman likes this.
  12. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    What happened ?

The whole range of the 70's/80's 365/400/412/512BBi run with this thermostat. I haven't heard that it's a troublesome unit. All thermostats malfunction at some point as they all do eventually - even from new.

I've been offered a batch of these thermostats and thought of stocking up for later sale as they seem to become rarer. All NOS in sealed boxes. I can update here if any interest.

13. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Arvid,

Some 512BB's also use this thermostat... I know mine does.

Also, I would be interested in a thermostat (I already have one as a spare).

Cheers,

Sam

14. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Thanks Sam. I'll post her when they arrive.

15. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Do you feel better,now? Do you tromp on your wife and kids or your dog like this? Poor them. Please let me know of any more imperfections of mine you may find. No one on this forum deserves your bile. As to the thermostat.."Once bitten twice shy". Jq.

16. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Dude. I was just pointing out that you corrected your typo with another typo, and thus I couldn’t tell if you loved the Behr unit or hated it....I re-read both posts multiple times. The final post you made contradicted itself, so it wasn’t clear.

Language and words count, especially the written word. My god you’re sensitive. Get over it. I hardly threw bile at you. haha.

Back to 400s.

17. erwin123

erwin123 Karting

Jan 20, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Erwin
  18. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Surely later thermostats of this design were engineered differently, if this was a known problem?

19. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Erwin, That must apply for an older thermostat design as the drawing looks different than the thermostat for the 400. The position is also changed from lower to upper line. Strangely they have the same part nr. but that leads me to believe they changed the design and all models now run with the latest thermostat.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Hi all,

I now have a few thermostats to spare. They are all NOS. Please PM for any questions.

Arvid