Daytona brake pressures | FerrariChat

Daytona brake pressures

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by bighitter2, Dec 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    i am currently checking my brakes on Daytona 12883 the pressures going into the front calibers are 500-550 psi at the rear is 250-270 psi and are consistant from side to side i am doing this to see if there are any issues with the brakes as the car sits more than i like and it is in for a major 5 year inspection ( new tires,drop exhaust and paint ,detail under carraige and a general going over to bring the car back up to a #1 car) we installed porterfield brake pads last time and are looking for any way to increase around town braking..does anyone know what these pressures should be? I do not want to dig into the brakes too deep if not necessary ...Timo? Grant? Any ideas..thanks Chuck

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Sorry Chuck, I do not have any caliper entry pressure data, but as you know I've been researching brake testing and fine tuning capabilities for awhile now.
    I'd also like to know what method was used to establish those pressure numbers ?
    Were all calipers measured simultaneously all together on both circuits or was each caliper or circuit tested individually ?
    Sorry to throw out more questions than answers, but latter are difficult to offer without more details.

I got two cars in the shop, but don't have time to allocate for extensive data collecting on either right now.
    One has all new, completely restored brake system, which I need to dial in as soon as I get the rest of the car ready, but it'll be a while longer.
    The other one I serviced the brakes on few years ago, but it's currently sitting with its engine removed, waiting for me to persisting engine oil leaks that it has endured at least since 1975 (have an interesting letter from MCM offering factory suggested "band-aid" remedy to that fact, funny stuff).

P.S. You're also welcome to contact directly via email or phone.

of2worlds likes this.
  3. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Timo,as always thank you for for your insight,Rand E Bailey ( who actualy restored this car) is working on the car now..i believe he contacted you about the "big yellow fuel hose " in the trunk i will have him call you he can explain how he came up with the pressures,Chuck

4. Dogdish

Dogdish Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Denver
    Chuck, I would check your Porterfield pads to see what temperature range they are supposed to be at. If you happen to have a racing type pad, you won't get much bite at low brake temps. I track my daytona, I use Porterfield for track use, 41's I think, but switch to stock pads for the street. I almost wrecked my daily driver Audi with race pads on the street....didn't have time to change them prior to work the next day. Won't ever do that again. Bill

5. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Thanks Bill, we did put on the steet pads and noticed a difference right away ( more bite)

of2worlds likes this.
  6. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Timo can you PM me your phone numberRand wants to talk to you about Daytona Brakes,thank you,Chuck

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    PM sent.

8. Classic Oldtimer

Feb 3, 2017

Sounds about right for front rear --- if it works dont mess with it !!!
    Fit soft pads for better cold braking round town -- and fit a notice on the rear to notify those behind !!!!!!
    Dont forget to put the good pads in for track days .

9. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Thank you for this tip,we did have softer pads fitted,car stops noticeably better,also replaced all seals in brake calibers,checked booster pressure and master cylinder...now off to put some miles on,Chuck

10. Classic Oldtimer

Feb 3, 2017
    Have fun they are made to be driven --- I took 14321 and converted it to Group4 spec and raced it for 8 years --Fantastic

11. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Do you any pics of that car?

12. Classic Oldtimer

Feb 3, 2017

Attached Files:

• 66.jpg
      66.jpg