Fabspeed cat bypass DIY install | FerrariChat

Fabspeed cat bypass DIY install

Discussion in '612/599' started by afwrench, Oct 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi guys,anyone interested in the Fabspeed cat bypass as DIY install should not be afraid.While I admit to being a former pro wrench many years ago, this is an easy install. First look at everything for a few minutes .Spray the collector bolts with penetrating oil and relax.You need to remove the cross member,8 allen bolts and then drop the botls holding the leading edge of the underpan towards the back of the car,about 8 bolts.This will let the pan hang and flex for more room.2 nuts to drop the rear hanger and 4 bolts on the forward hanger.When these 4 bolt are out the "wings" of the forward hanger will rotate out of the way.Loosen the rear pipe clamps and unbolt the collector bolts.Pull the unit down and wiggle and turn them.You might have to slightly wedge the rear pipes down a bit for clearance, a wood hammer handle will work fine .Once you get a bit of movement they should come off.The clamps are not like old muffler clamps in that they do not pinch a groove in the pipes.Wipe everything down and reverse the procedure.When you put the new pipes on dont tighten it all up right away.First remove the wedge and put the 4 wing bolts on the front hanger finger tight .There is a bit of adjustment available in them.Now tighten the rear hanger and just snug up the front 4 hanger bolts.Now fully tighten up the collector bolts.It will all start to realign.Fully tighten the collector bolts ,the front hanger bolts and the pipe clamps,make sure to align the clamps like the old ones .Secure the leading edge of the rear pan and the cross member and listen to the sweet music.Good luck,Mike PS if Fabspeed or anyone else for that matter wants to correct anything I have said here they are free to do so

Gershwin likes this.
  2. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    So you are happy with the new note? What are your impressions?

3. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Steve, I have not been able to get a good ride in yet due to weather here. However the car sounds great. More aggressive,especially on start up, and like a ripping tone on revving. Overall am happy with the upgrade and as I said an easy job that any DIY'er or shop can handle.Best regards,Mike

ANGELINO and Gershwin like this.
  4. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    So you’ve got the bypass now s in test pipes and the remote valve bypass?

5. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Steve, I have the remote that controls the valves in the rear silencers and the Fabspeed cat delete pipes. I also installed the Fabspeed high flow air filters. Weather is turning here but if I can get a good run in I will let you know about seat of the pants feeling. Mike

6. ferrarista550

ferrarista550 Karting

Jan 6, 2011
    Torrance, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Mike Dwyer
    Once you get the bypass pipes in place it is good to put in a crossover. If you want to get the true V12 sound without the resonance. Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Is that a custom piece or does fabspeed manufacture?

8. ferrarista550

ferrarista550 Karting

Jan 6, 2011
    Torrance, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Mike Dwyer
    The crossover pipe is a custom piece. You have to find a muffler shop that knows how to do custom work.

9. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Any guidance on gauge or what that piece was comprised of?

10. ferrarista550

ferrarista550 Karting

Jan 6, 2011
    Torrance, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Mike Dwyer
    Just a piece of tubing that they put a curve in. Show that photo to a "custom" shop, they should be able to make one.

11. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    we have a 599 in house, if anyone has suggestions, needs pictures, etc.

12. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

Why not just have a muffler shop build the bypass pipes too ?

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    That crossover pipe (especially one that large) may cut down on resonance, but will cost hp and torque. Everything is a compromise.

14. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    I seriously doubt a muffler shop could build you a one off set of cat bypass pipes for what we retail ours for.

15. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

A trick the big American muscle car V-8s would do is put in a crossover pipe at the point where the most heat was in an exhaust system. Typically just after the collector or where the crossover is in the pic above. This was said to ADD a few HP.

If it makes the sound better even a small loss of HP would be OK. This isn't a racing car.
    Anyhow who complains about the lack of HP in a 599 ? ;)

16. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    If a crossover does indeed help with the sound you may want to consider adding it into your product.

17. C4YES

C4YES Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Todd