Anti-Miami Formula One Petition | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anti-Miami Formula One Petition

Discussion in 'Florida' started by BartonWorkman, Nov 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Of course, he's in bed with the ISC who funnel huge campaign contributions to him.

And, now he's running for Senate.

BHW

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    It occurred to me that the FIA controls world motorsport and if Homestead, NASCAR
    or the ISC attempts to throw the FIA and Liberty’s plans to hold an F1 race in Miami
    off the rails, they may well do so at their own peril.

I contacted a highly respected racing journalist and author with regard to the
    FIA’s inner workings and how their sanction operates.

A primer on how the FIA works. It has two wings, Touring and sort of like the UN, each
    country is a member. Some countries (like the US and Canada) have completely different
    entities as the FIA rep. In the US, the AAA is the touring member, thus AAA members get
    things like road service in all the other FIA member countries.

Each country can designate an ASN (Association Sportiv Internationale). In the US it's ACCUS
    (Automobile Competition Committee of the United States). They have a small office in Chicago
    run by Nick Craw, ex SCCA head. ACCUS in turn authorizes the actual race sanctions through
    its member clubs, who are SCCA, IMSA, USAC, NHRA, and NASCAR. Thus, for a race to be
    considered international it must be licensed by one of those. F1 would already have or is applying
    for sanction by either SCCA or USAC.

Should Homestead/NASCAR/ISC continue to attempt to thwart pubic opinion and/or move against
    the proposed F1 race in Miami in the courts as they did in the lead up to the Miami Grand Prix of
    Americas events in 2002-03, the FIA could retaliate by simply withdrawing their sanction of NASCAR
    events or events taking place on ISC controlled tracks that include Homestead, Sebring, Daytona,
    Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Fontana, Chicagoland, Darlington, Kansas, Martinsville, Michigan,
    Phoenix, Richmond, Route 66 and Talledega with disastrous effect.

Therefore, the ISC had better consider very carefully their position in trying to upend the FIA and
    Liberty’s plans to have F1 in Miami and play nice!

BHW

3. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    A Formula 1 race or any kind of race in Downtown Miami is a terrible idea.
    Anyone who does not understand why, should try to go downtown when there is a Miami Heat game at the AAA arena there.
    Since a race would most likely take place during the day, there is also the traffic going in and out of the Port of Miami to contend with and the local infrastructure is not capable to handle the kind of traffic and relative disruption coming from an event of that proportion.
    There is no shortage of available space around Miami (if Homestead does not cut) but downtown is a NO, NO !!

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    None the less, that's where its going to be.

BHW

5. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    If Monaco can manage it Miami can figure it out.

Besides, as you mentioned, when is traffic there not an absolute nightmare? They have every other nonsensical event like urban weekend that essentially shuts down the city, why not add F1 too? All that has to be done is grease the right people like everything else and it can happen. Thankfully I don't live there so I would only have to worry about getting to the race and back. ;)

What's one more traffic cluster ****? The bonus is we'd get an F1 race out of it.

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Exactly the point.

After all, downtown Miami has hosted sports car and Indy Car racing dating back to the 80s in one form or
    another. The only ones griping about the traffic during the Miami Grand Prix of Americas weekends was Homestead/ISC.

The talk has always been Formula One in Miami and now that Liberty is openly seeking out new U.S. venues
    to bolster F1's profile, Miami is on the short list and through a fairly reliable source, we're hearing "It is happening".

If Homestead/ISC wants to fight the FIA over this, they do so at their own peril.

BHW

7. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Perhaps you guys have forgotten that some years ago there was a race being held in downtown Miami, before it was moved to Homestead.
    The track was less than 1 mile long, with virtually no room to pass and no run offs.
    In other words an unsafe and overall terrible futile exercise to bring race cars where they do not belong

8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Actually, downtown Miami has hosted major international racing several times.

Beginning in the early 80s with Ralph Sanchez' Miami Grand Prix, the IMSA GTX/GTP events were
    a commercial success and a model for all other street races. The exception would be the first Miami
    Grand Prix event which saw torrential rains ruin an otherwise excellent event which was run on the
    original 1.85 mile Bicentennial Park circuit.

Sanchez kept this event going for several year as the Miami Grand Prix became a tradition coming just
    after the 24 Hours of Daytona and before the 12 Hours of Sebring, creating what were three important
    Florida races to start the seasons before the opportunity to build the Homestead/Miami International
    Raceway after Hurricane Andrew.

After that, the Miami Grand Prix of the Americas featured ALMS and Champ Car events in 2002-03.
    These were likewise commercially successful with large crowds but organization was suspect.

Most recently, Formula E ran in Miami. While I didn't attend this event, it was rather slammed by attendees
    and media alike as it seems the faculty wasn't ready and access was an issue.

Believe me, when F1 does Miami, it will be done right. It's going to be landmark and Homestead/ISC
    are well advised to keep their noses out of it. Interestingly enough, I'm in contact with one of Ralph
    Sanchez's main men and he is 100% behind the F1 in Miami deal.

BHW

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    In matters such as this, I tend to go to the source(s). And, in this case, to the most
    successful American sports car driver of all time.

I asked him whether he and other drivers thought the original downtown Miami Grand
    Prix circuit was overly dangerous and his reply was, "No, we all loved racing on the streets
    of Miami".

The original downtown Miami Grand Prix was very much a part of the renaissance of Miami
    during the 80s. And, as the arrival of F1 approaches, the possibilities are endless as this
    event, beyond anything else (including Art Basel) will be a sensation in Miami.

BHW

10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  11. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm not sure F1 has been great for Austin or Texas. How much is state putting in of taxpayer money, $10mm a year? COTA and Austin have maybe got lucky in discovering way to sell F1 tickets is to have concerts. Most of those going to the concert don't even go to the race. Whatever works.

13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the committee vote is next week ;)

F1 races almost never work out for the track or region. that's why Indy dropped it so easily. also why F1 has had to branch out into so many 3rd world countries trying to make a name for themselves.

14. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Lmao, "First class global city."

Personally I would love to see the F1 race happen. It will be a gigantic cluster **** like everything else that occurs in Miami but it would be worth it to see them run thru the streets. If I lived down there I might have a different view considering the havoc it would cause.

One thing Miami is good for is showing off and posturing. F1 is all about the show now so it's a perfect match. Better buy stock in velvet ropes because they will VIP the **** out of every drop they can. :)

15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The Homestead/ISC lobby wrings its wiry hands an anticipation of buying off the votes in
    5... 4... 3... 2...

BHW

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It would be possible to get to a downtown race site by either MetroRail or the new Brightline train, so one would not need to drive there. I've taken MetroRail to the Bayside Marketplace quite a few times, and I never felt unsafe.

17. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    From the beginning, Liberty had three new U.S. venues on their short list, they made it clear
    they wanted a second USGP and were looking at Miami, New York and Las Vegas.

Miami is clearly the best fit for them. If they're smart, they'll make the Miami Grand Prix (SIC)
    the first race of the year in mid-March the week after Sebring, they'll have exactly what they're
    looking for as Miami is busting with European and South American visitors, so their fan base
    is already built in.

There have been three occasions when FIA and Liberty delegations have visited Miami to
    meet and go over potential course layouts. This, and the fact that Homestead/ISC hired
    a lobbying firm with right wing leanings and free access to Governor Skeletor in Tallahassee
    indicates just how real this is and the lengths Homestead/ISC is willing to go to attempt to
    thwart the event.

We are of the understanding that the financing is in place but will let them make that
    announcement official in due course. The only thing left is the course layout. There have
    been suggestions that they want to use the tunnel off the MacArthur Causeway out to the
    port side. Not quite sure how all this would work out due the heavy volume of traffic that
    uses the causeway as the main egress and digress from South Beach.

The other issue is that F1 requires a full pits complex. Where would this be set up, would
    it be permanent or temporary structure (a-la Melbourne)? Remains to be seen.

On the side, we've had on very good authority that the Miami Grand Prix is happening from
    an unimpeachable source. So, come on down to the 305. We know how to throw a party
    which is why we're so exhausted all the time!

BHW

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The City Commission votes on it on May 11.

I just spoke with a major Miami player and he says that Homestead/ISC has
    $20M to $30M to fight it and they want the Grand Prix at Homestead running at
    night.

Also, the proposed date is in October, not March as previously expected.

BHW

20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  21. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Late breaking news…

The City of Miami Commission voted unanimously to move the Miami Formula One
    Grand Prix forward today.

The event now has the blessings of the City of Miami and moves to the next level.

More news as it happens.

BHW

22. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Fingers crossed!

Sucks for all those that paid millions to live there but it’s tremendous for us race fans. I can’t wait.