Tesla is really not fast at all...(really fast) | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Tesla is really not fast at all...(really fast)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bberg009, Nov 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    My experience of these batteries, is that is best case scenario, but often cells will fail completely, often immediately or over a short period.

Are these claims made on the basis of a percentage of failure combined with a known rate of decline?

If you find your old iPhones etc, how many of them could be relied on, even accepting they are not as good as new. I know one of mine holds charge for 1/2 hour, another won't charge properly, one works but lasts about 20% of its original time. About half of them have declined but are acceptable.

2. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Comparisons between an iPhone and a Tesla are very poor for a few reasons. The first is purely the number of charge cycles, if you have a 2-year old iphone you've probably got upwards of 730 full cycles on it (assuming charging every day). That would be roughly 200,000 miles on a Tesla. Secondly the iPhone charges every day to 100% capacity. This is terrible for battery longevity. Charging to 90% capacity extends the life of a battery dramatically, and is what most folks charge their Tesla to every day (charging to 100% every once in awhile for a long trip won't have a substantial effect) . In addition the chemistry used in the Tesla batteries is substantially different than the chemistry used in the iPhones. It is tuned to have significantly better cell life.
    Lastly, each cell (of which there are ~7000) has an individual fuse on it. If something goes wrong with an individual cell it does not make the entire pack inoperable, it mearly takes out the single cell.

3. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    The earliest Nissan Leafs have lost 1/2 their original battery capacity and have a range less than 50 miles.

4. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    It's only a different cathode and electronic management.

5. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    That is actually correct. The fundamental Lithium Ion battery chemistry and coatings are the same. So, perhaps Tessa makes them work longer, disperse energy more evenly, and charge faster. However, the issues of pollution, recycling, development costs (new mining), and left over Cobolt chemicals are still the same.

Another major environmental issue, is that on most OECD countries electrical grids, we have to produce 2 MW for every 1.1 MW that reaches the consumer. So, almost twice as much energy has to be produced compared to what is consumed. And much of that energy in China, India, USA and South America comes from Coal fired power plants...

So, really not that environmental friendly when looking at energy consumption, production costs, recycling costs and fire emission...

Kirillos and davidoloan like this.
  6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    LOL I guess my experience with phones is different. I keep my Google Nexus 5 phone fully charged almost all the time and plugged in at home and the battery goes down 25% during my work day unplugged (10 hours). Then fully charged at home. It's the same battery for the last 4 years and 1 month. :)

Similar thing with my phone before that, a T-mobile MyTouch 4g. The battery I have in it is 5+ years old and I use that phone as an alarm clock. I charge it every 2 weeks when it gets down to 60%...

7. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    There’s always one! Haha

On the other hand, we had - was it Samsung? - tablets and phones exploding on airplanes due to their brand new batteries, and unltimately getting banned from flights.... I wonder what firm will be the first to put a battery pack in their mainstream family car that starts doing that?...... makes my blood chill thinking about it

8. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    911R blasts past Tesla at 135mph

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Isn't that the top speed of the Tesla S? anyway, that GT3 I just got surprised it has top speed just under 200 mph. not that I will ever go that fast. :D

bberg009 and davidoloan like this.
  10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

#160 Natkingcolebasket69, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017

No words needed after this video.

“I admire what it can do but it sort of stays there” -Chris Harris

I also agree on the cheap leather and poor interior but equally agree with the future this thing is and how fast it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob lay and bberg009 like this.
  11. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i drove the 512tr up to 184 at bruntingthorpe.

12. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Some good info there! But I see where the comparison comes from. I charge my phone just about every day. If I had a Tesla for a DD I would expect to charge it just about every day. So, miles or not, charge cycles more or less the same. But of course it's still a heck of a presumption to make that the batteries in a phone or car are essentially the same.

13. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I don't get these pointless tests, one is a great commuter, the other a car built primarily for the pleasure of driving.
    Neither is any good in opposite task.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    So, 10 minutes "heat up" for maximum acelleration after programming the ludicrous mode on the 100 p, according to Top Gear's review . not exactly, a car to race against a Ferrari at an intersection, when I press only PS on my 488, and beat it by 10+ minutes?

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    No, it could still beat you if not even in Ludircrous. My wife's 90D without Ludicrous could still beat you.

16. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Perhaps the first 30 feet, but try a quarter mile, or over 60mph , or around any curve, and you'll realize that you are driving a blue 'whale' of a tractor..

But, seriously, 10 min wait to get performance?? That Top Gear movie shows the frailty of electric cars, and the fact that you will drain the battery.. in a 488 you can still drive home after a 'drag race' even if your home is more than 50 ft away...

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay

30 ft., 50 ft., not being able to drive home? We have posted facts about Tesla, you are exposing yourself as a hating troll. No better than Jerry on flip side.

18. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Let me get it straight, if you are not in love of Tessa, on a Ferrari forum, you must be a 'troll'.. Hmmmm...

3POINT8 likes this.
  19. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think Tesla has developed their very own safeguards on the battery packs so this doesn't happen. And so far the track record is very good. The problem with the Samsung devices, as I think I have it, they rushed a product to the market so they could take as much attention away from the forthcoming iPhone. It seems they wanted to put out products that had far superior specs from the iPhone. That included the battery, which was substantially larger and the processor which ran faster. Sounds good. But larger battery means it will take longer to charge, unless you can fast charge and that means some heat. And fast processor is great, but that means discharging the battery faster and that means - yep- more heat. This seems like it was the cause of those fires. It strikes me that Tesla has done a good job safeguarding against this.

Changing gears for a moment, I think in real world situations, there is nothing faster than the Tesla cars. Maybe a Bugatti or something like that but it would still be close.

20. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    last time I check, Ferrari recommend warming up their vehicles for at least 10min before going full throttle. You know, warm the oil, let it circulate, etc. Pretty much also true for Porsche, Lambo, McLaren...
    not sure why Tesla is penalized while nary a peep about Ferrari.

also, the fact that a family sedan beating a GT3RS (that's what a 911R basically is) from stop light is pretty darn impressive.
    wait till the new Roadster comes out. you know, the one designed for performance. Let's see how that drag race goes.
    if you want a preview... (don't click "play" if you hate electric cars and easily triggered)

rob lay likes this.
  21. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    It’s still not clear though is it. Ferraris and other supercars are fast everywhere, for as far as you want to go, couple minute top up of fuel when necessary, and fast through curves and therefore over a race distance, or a trip anywhere, the super car is fastest. The styling of Tesla is something I can’t get over, it’s uglier than some of the ugliest econoboxes from Malaysia, and the roadster will be the same nondescript features, albeit in a slightly more lotus-esque body.

Unfortunately, I’d rather be fast and STYLISH in a super car, than fast, dull and boring in a Tesla, it’s just not a sexy car. Some of us drive for pleasure and enjoy cars, some want to just get somewhere and don’t particularly care, I don’t doubt the Tesla suits the second group much more than the first

3POINT8 likes this.
  22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1
    Strictly as a performance car electricity is deeply flawed. Reading on Tesla forums, the battery overheats anywhere between 1 and 3 minutes of full throttle use (!), so performance starts to reduce and obviously, range goes down significantly. On motorways, at 100mph on a typical trans-continental eurotrip you'd be charging up every hour. In an ideal situation it'll do 140 miles on a full charge at 100mph, but with the inevitable slowing down and speeding up, that reduces significantly. Lets not even talk about tracking (yes the Model S is not a track car, but it applies to all electric vehicles).

There's a lot more to life than the traffic light gp (must be an american thing anyhow) and I can live with losing to a Tesla there but being faster everywhere else, refueling in minutes, the emotion of of the sound and so on.

Strictly as a daily driver to the office and back, I get it, especially for people not interested in cars/driving. But wouldn't have one.

He has of course an EV forum so can't be seen faulting EV's somewhere else ;)

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    You don't have to be in love with it to be factual. A person who hates something so much they resort to lies is trollish.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    How does that make sense then me faulting Ferraris here? ;). I'm just honest whatever the car.

paulchua likes this.