Viva Mexico - bringing #854 back to life | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Viva Mexico - bringing #854 back to life

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by lbird, Aug 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Steve...

Sounds like some interesting projects.. Please keep us informed and include pictures.
    I would recommend a new thread for your projects! I fully understand work pressures
    and their associated affects on projects!!

Looking forward to reading more... I have 112-074...

Mike

2. Steveiap

Steveiap Rookie

Dec 25, 2016
    #302 Steveiap, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a photo of the hinge that I need.

Really I need 4 of them as this remaining one has seen better days . I suspect I will need to make them

Also some photo's on the LH door coming together . Totally rotted out so I had to manufacture about 30 CM from the bottom up . Last night I wheeled a replacement bottom skin . Still need to do the corners and then weld it all together . There will be about 100 hours in this door by the time its finished .

Was amazed at the crap welding Maserati did in the 1960's . External welds are fine but anything not visible seems to have been done by the apprentice ! Also a huge use of lead to cover up the poor workmanship . Its all over the car .

Steve
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Hi Steve,

quite a project you have in front of you. I don't think that these hinges will be available anywhere except from scrapped cars. I still have one decent Series I left hand door frame as a spare, but i think you are located in Australia, aren't you?

4. Steveiap

Steveiap Rookie

Dec 25, 2016
    Yes. Sydney Australia. Thanks for the info on the door frame but I am ok on those. I can make most things provided I have a template.
    At some stage I will list my needs but they are many , especially if I decide to eventually restore both the cars. ( both are series one. ).
    I do need door handles ( exterior ) should anyone have some spare. Any condition.
    The hinges I need are welded to the pillars . Over the next week or so I will design and make some new ones as even scrapped cars are unlikely to yield useable items.
    Perhaps my versions will have some adjustment rather than the originals that are fixed.

Steve

5. Steveiap

Steveiap Rookie

Dec 25, 2016
    #305 Steveiap, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Guys . I now only need ONE hinge . Managed to scrounge the two in the picture below - still attached to a chunk of rusty bodywork. Anyone got anything laying around ? The QP1 hinge is slightly different - 2 hinge points and not 3 . Also need one hinge pin . Ta

6. Steveiap

Steveiap Rookie

Dec 25, 2016
    Oops - two pins needed

7. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Hi Steve, forget the pins, just fabricate them yourself (we did). Third party pins won't fit anyway. Just take a matching bolt, cut it and adapt (hone) it to your hinge after blasting etc. They need a tight fit to hold the really heavy door exactly in place, and i won't trust old bolts too much..... On top of that you need to remove them a couple of times for trial fit, but once the door sits in place before painting do not remove the pins again, because it is a hell of a job to get the door lines right.....

8. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #308 lbird, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    What i really like when restoring a car is the underbody - nothing beats a squeaky clean underside of a car. It will never look like this again, because you will drive and enjoy it, and unevitably it will get dirty. I am not the type of guy who cleans his car with a toothbrush, i rather invest my free time in using it, driving it and see places with it. Therefore some pictures of the current underbody - MIE exhaust adapted (a lot of replacing of fixation points was necessary), only the tubes from the manifold are not done yet. The rear end of the exhaust is not a "chin breaker" like the original, but i think it looks better this way......

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
  10. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
  11. chriskindl

chriskindl Rookie

Apr 2, 2010
    Hi Olaf,
    do remember the specs of the head bolts and/or could pm the manufacturer, pls.
    Best,
    Marek

12. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Bolts were made according to sample from a friend who owns a company for tailor made fastening products. I still have my old bolt somewhere, if that helps. Do you need a source or just measurements?

13. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
  14. chriskindl

chriskindl Rookie

Apr 2, 2010
    Hello Olaf,
    I am interested in the Material specs of the head bolts only.
    Best
    M

15. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
  16. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    I had them built to order, 20 bolts 12 x 1,5 x 177 mm, strength 10.9 galvanized. I paid about 240 Euros for the whole lot....

17. chriskindl

chriskindl Rookie

Apr 2, 2010
    Superb. Thanks Olaf, Thanks Mark.

18. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Next stop trim shop. The nice people there are very busy in rebuilding the seats again with the original leather (first try by another trimmer was not really sufficient), rebuilding a lot of cover panels and trim parts from scratch. This is a lot of work, but since the original parts are either totally rotten or just missing it is necessary. I will install removable headrests in the seats for safety reasons, that will be almost unnoticable when removed. But i treasure my neck, therefore no compromises.
    The headlining is still original, just cleaned. Looks the part, me think. Matching black carpet material in real wool was at first hard to find, but the trim shop found something almost identical.

Just enjoy the pictures......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Restored a Mexico,same shape as yours. Took 3 years. I hand formed the bottom of the panels and trunk and butt welded it all. Got cylinder liners and rubber rings from Kyle Fleming in Virginia Beach. Great guy with lots of knowledge. Still have a few parts at home. Let me know if I can help. Softening and recoloring the interior goes very well. Make sure you ground the electrics well or you will have electrical problems.

20. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    I wish you guys a happy holiday season, i hope you got some nice car related gifts and loads of new health and energy for christmas!
    I visited the trim shop today to discuss some details and scout the progress: Looking good so far, seats are almost ready with the headrests (not the final material and form, but mounted already and working), carpet mostly in place.
    Judge yourself, pictures are better than words here.....

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. bj69

bj69 Karting

Mar 4, 2009
    Perfection. Beautiful. Congratulations on saving that original connolly!

22. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Happy new year everybody. After an eventful journey to the US of A where we met a number of very nice people (some of them active here, hello guys!) i am back at completing the Mexico job. While in the US we went to Scottsdale and watched the auctions there, what a circus!

Went to the trim shop today, they are almost finished. Just some new leather for the headrests and seatbelts and the car will go back to the workshop. By the way: Does somebody know a source for rubber mats with the Maserati logo for the drivers side carpet? I have neutral ones, but with a logo would be nicer. Here are the results for the jury (beware, headrests are not original, but easily removable and very comfortable):

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Beautiful job!!
    Great to see you and the guys from Paderborn here in Palm Desert while on your "great adventure"
    Ciao,
    FGM

24. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Thank you Frank - especially for your hospitality, it was an absolute pleasure visiting you and the other car crazy guys over there....

25. sinkman

sinkman Karting

Oct 28, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    The mats....email Jacques at maseratisource