1990 348 TS Engine for Sale on eBay (Not Mine) | FerrariChat

1990 348 TS Engine for Sale on eBay (Not Mine)

Discussion in '348/355' started by Jasonberkeley, Dec 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I wonder what happened to the rest of this car

2. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    At this price, they are out of their everloving minds! Don't they know these mills just don't break?

3. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    This guy is parting the entire car out on eBay I have actually bought some trim pieces from him and they were in Exquisite condition.

4. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Located somewhere close to me.
    He is also selling some 456 and 612 parts, and a TON of MB stuff.

5. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    I've bought a couple of suspension pieces and exhaust mounting components from him, and all was as advertised and quick easy transactions. Seems to have alot of 348 stuff.

6. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Really? :confused:

So a 348 that has been red-lined from cold all its life will never have an issue?

Should a water pump or belt tensioner ever seize up, there's no chance of the timing belt becoming damaged, causing valves to kiss pistons?

If someone doesn't check their oil levels properly, resulting in over-filling or under-filling the oil, or if there should be a sudden, catastrophic failure in the oil lubrication system or cooling system, there is no chance whatsoever of any engine damage being caused?

Wow! - That's good to know!

Of course, the reality is, tough as Ferrari engines are, they are not completely impervious to suffering failures due to neglect, poor maintenance, and good old fashioned plain bad luck.

The fact with the 348 is, it has been an "affordable" Ferrari for decades (in fact, in the UK, about the only Ferrari's that were cheaper than the 348 were the 308 GT4, the Mondial's, and the 400 series cars - 348's were bargain basement Ferrari's!), and a lot of cars fell into the hands of owners who could afford to buy the cars, but couldn't really afford to maintain them as they should be, and so cut corners when it came to servicing the cars (sorry to burst a few bubbles round here, but not every 348 owner is/was a budding car mechanic who work on their cars every weekend!).

Plenty of people "back in the day" bought a 348 because it was cheap, and they thraped the nuts off it for a few years (in some cases, right from cold), and then off loaded them when the big bills started to appear on the horizon.

As for the asking price ($11K [£8,300]): Eurospares sell used 348 engines for @ $8,800 [£6500] ( https://www.eurospares.co.uk/search?partNumber=146665 ), but that's on an exchange basis (a brand new 348 engine is @ $20,300 [£15,000] ).

Considering some owners pay $10K + just for a major service in the USA, I'd say $11K for a complete engine is actually a bit of a bargain!

97 Spider likes this.
  7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Does anyone know the name of his business outside Ebay or if they have a website?

8. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Reputable seller. I've also bought random parts from him.

9. willgood

willgood Rookie

Dec 29, 2017
    Full Name:
    Will Good
    Bought many 348 parts from him, great seller!

10. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    He is a big dismantler and has dismantled many 348s. He seems to be the one who out bid me on a 94 Spider, and the last one he out bid me on was an SS. I’ve bought tons of parts from him at good prices, some things have arrived worse than advertised some better. Kind of a crap shoot but usually damn good prices. He doesn’t seem to care if you’re happy with the part or not. He is not on Fchat And seems to have no interest in joining us when I’ve spoke to him.

Schatten likes this.
  11. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I think it’s pretty right on target for an asking price. I’ve only sold 1 348 engine so I don’t exactly have the biggest data base to go on. But just consider rebuild costs compared to this moderately low miles replacement possibly. I think it’s a good starting point and the likely selling price a deal is made at will be a bit lower. He automatically knocks 10% off the price if you deal off eBay just like I do.
    When you have them taking a 10% cut of your sale you have to start your ask a bit higher than you could normally take.

Schatten likes this.