This is a weird one, dash lights flicker on my 355. | FerrariChat

This is a weird one, dash lights flicker on my 355.

Discussion in '348/355' started by Redlyne_mr2, Jun 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Redlyne_mr2

Redlyne_mr2 Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2009
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Ryan D
    #1 Redlyne_mr2, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As the topic says, they'll even shut off completely for no reason. Any ideas ? The flicker tells me the fuse is ok, how can this happen ? Car is a 98
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Tacho dimmer knob fault?

Try changing the brightness. It might put the potentiometer contact into a more reliable section of the resistive strip.

Capt and taz355 like this.
  3. motox333

motox333 Rookie

Feb 17, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Richard Pearce
    Hello mate

Did you ever get this fixed? Mine is also a 98 and my dash lights were flickering and now gone completely!

Would like to sort them if possible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Redlyne_mr2

Redlyne_mr2 Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2009
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Ryan D
    I want to say its the potentiometer, the switch that handles the dimming. i never did get it sorted, Id like to try and find someone who can rebuild these.

5. MManzonelli

MManzonelli Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Columbia, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Manzonelli
    This happened to me and just yesterday I repaired them. In my case, I had to undo the dash pod (2 screws-very easy). The White wire which comes off the dimming rheostat was loose. It has a philips screw with a ring terminal. I tightened it up and my lights came on. NOTE: When checking, note the that testing on the screw does no good. You must touch the terminal. Also, there is a yellow wire which also comes of the rheostat..In my case, that one was ok but I did snug it up to make sure it does not back off.

Hope it works for you.

Qavion likes this.
  6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
  7. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Looks your rheostat went kaput. Here is the part number:

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/355-group/f355-m5-2-1996/instruments/134406-rheostat.html

and shows "No Longer Available". Saw one on E BAY used for 500 bucks. No way Ray.....You can run a 1 inch jumper wire connect the yellow to the white wire. It will be full bright with no dimming, but what the heck, beats paying 500 bucks for used one. Just undo the two screws on the binnacle and you will see the 2 wires,

Just a thought, your call.

8. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Is the pot. set for max. brightness or somewhat less? Wondering if someone replaced the normal bulbs with LED's (colors look quite "deep"). With LED's once you start turning down the pot. you may get to a point where the bulbs flicker and go out based on small variations at their cut-off point (before the pot is turned all the way down). Incandescent bulbs will dim "seamlessly" down to nothing.

Having said that, a suspected dirty pot. is always a good starting point for troubleshooting a problem like this and an older pot. should always be a suspect!

taz355 likes this.
  9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
  10. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    According to the diagram, the dimmer is electronic (not just a simple rheostat). It can probably be easily repaired as it is a simple circuit - basically one or two transistors. Before suspecting the dimmer, check/replace the "K" relay in the step pad fuse box. The dimmer gets power supply from this relay.

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Miroljub, doesn't the WSM wiring diagram show relay "E9"* in the forward luggage compartment? Power from Fuse 12.

Fig. 8 F355 Lighting Wiring Diagram

*labelled "F" in my F355 handbook.

12. MManzonelli

MManzonelli Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Columbia, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Manzonelli
    This is true but check your license plate lamps. If they work, most likely your relay is ok.....In my case the plate lights came on.....Also there is a light in the luggage compartment also on the same circuit.....If these lights are on when the headlights are on, most likely not the relay. I bench tested my relay and it tested fine. See my post above.....Still betting on the screw backing out on the ring terminal.....

13. motox333

motox333 Rookie

Feb 17, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Richard Pearce
    Thank you all for the advise - I'm on the case!

14. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I was looking at the 348 diagram. You are right about the 355.

15. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    BUMP

My dash rheostat is balky and I would like to open the back and clean with Deoxit Appears to be 2 clips that hold it together?
    Before I dive in, can someone tell me how to release these clips?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Just wanted to share that in my case, i had no dash lights in my 95 F355 and turning the tach knob seemed to make no difference. Well that turned out to be because the knob was spinning on the shaft, not actually turning it. Once i rotated the shaft by hand, the lights came on to full brightness.

Qavion and Carmellini like this.