612 Battery Replacement Advice? | FerrariChat

612 Battery Replacement Advice?

Discussion in '612/599' started by Jewels and Binoculars, Dec 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. It appears that I have an end of life battery, even though the trickle charger says it is charged and also a more powerful charger says so too. When either charger is unplugged there is not enough power to even move the windows to close the doors. I have ordered a replacement battery:

https://www.micksgarage.com/d/batteries/ferrari/ferrari-612/612-scaglietti-2004-to-2011/5-7-540-5748/products/2941470-5100-17853/yuasa-battery.

Do anyone have experience of this battery? and..

Is there any particular procedure to be followed when replacing the battery, I am worried about doing this myself?

Many Thanks in advance, if anyone can offer me advice.

2. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Hi there,
    Changing the battery in the 612 is not complicated, I would advise to do it yourself, you will learn about your car...

Step 1 take off the battery cover, it is a piece of carpet covered trunk panel, be very careful the material is getting brittle with age, don't bend it too much, if it brakes don't worry, they all are...
    Step 2 cut off the power with the red key next to the battery, take off the key
    Step 3 take of the ground black wire on the right side with a 10mm wrench, put it aside
    Step 4 unscrew the holding bracket on both side of the battery with a 10 mm wrench, this is annoying to do, you will understand it why when you will do it
    Step 5 unscrew the bottom bracket with a 13 mm wrench, take the bracket and put it aside
    step 6 pull the battery towards you pivoting from the ground side first, pull the battery slowly towards you
    step 7 pull the venting pipe out
    Step 8 take the plastic cap out of the positive and take out the + connection with a 10mm wrench

You battery is now free, put it back in the reverse order

Please note that the 612 battery has to be powerful enough
    The Ferrari oem is 100 AH from Capacity and 850 A on the short circuit current intensity
    I am now on a Moll EFB 95 AH 900A, works perfect, EFB battery have a longer life time

Let me know if you need more advice...

superdoug likes this.
  3. Thanks I think I will be able to do that and it will save me some dealer costs. After replacing the battery is there any special reset procedure or can I start the engine?

4. ZDF_Fan

ZDF_Fan Karting

Oct 29, 2013
    Kuwait
  5. Thank's this is what I was looking for, I have now found that in the original manual. Thank you so much for your help.

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've changed the battery in mine, and I can tell you that, while it's not that technically challenging (after all, if I can do it, anyone can), it is somewhat frustrating and not easy. Personally, I'd probably pay the dealer to do it in the future.

7. ZDF_Fan

ZDF_Fan Karting

Oct 29, 2013
    Kuwait
    Agreed. It’s a very tight space. But very doable for someone handy.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Is there any problem with computer settings being lost if the battery is disconnected? I have a 08 OTO 612. While I would not consider myself particular handy I can do simple stuff and used to work on my early 911's but not so much in recent years as cars got way more technical. Not sure I could reprogram the computers even if I had the equipment and a road map?

9. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    I did it several times to do works on the car and never had any issue, mine is a first gen, but I doubt OTOs are very different
    Only annoying thing just after reconnecting the battery is that the trunk and fuel door are temporarily not opening, it works again after closing and opening the car a few times...
    I mean if your battery is dead, there is only one way to change it. The dealership will just do it the same way

10. ZDF_Fan

ZDF_Fan Karting

Oct 29, 2013
    Kuwait
    The electronics make modern cars a pain in the a$$ to work on but battery procedure is pretty simple. There should not be any reprogramming required. Just the self learning procedure from the owners manual. I know some older M cars needed battery registration to make sure it wasn’t being over charged but not sure how simple that procedure I think an OBDII reader is sufficient to reset.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No, even your preset radio stations are still there. It is a very tight working space though.

12. I did the Battery replacement and I would agree it is a cramped space to work in. Once you realise that the complicated set of connections on the positive terminal don't need to be disconnected and that you can pull out the battery to get at the main positive terminal the job becomes a lot easier. Thanks for all the advice, nothing better than hearing the beautiful sound of that engine running once again. It was a Ferrari (FIAMM) battery that I replaced so likely the orginal one from 2006 when the car was made.

Makuono likes this.
  13. luffy

luffy Rookie

Apr 22, 2006
    I'd at least partially roll your windows down while attempting this job. Cheap insurance if something goes ascew and you get locked out.

14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    ^
    Good advice. Over winter storage I leave the driver's window down about a half inch so that it clears the seal. When you open the door the window goes down this amount in order to slip under the rubber seal. If your battery is dead the window won't go down and you have to force the window through the seal. That's something you don't want to be doing very often.

15. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I replaced my batter with an Optima Red Top. Smaller physical size. less expensive and much easier to find than the OEM. The battery ran me about $150 at the local pep boys. Its been in the car for 5 months with zero issues. Its my first time using an Optima but they are reportedly better batteries. Their web site does not list one for the 612 however if you give the correct battery size, they do have a size match which is what I went with.

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Interstate's MT7-34R is an AGM battery that has worked well for hundreds of Ferrari owners, including me. Do not trust Optimas since they moved production to Mexico.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

17. GillDS

GillDS Rookie

Mar 12, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Gill
    Changed the battery today on my '09 612 OTO following the above directions - was perfect. Thanks for this.

599_GTO likes this.
  18. gburkett

gburkett Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Glenn Burkett
    OK Guys, My OTO is suddenly dead, dead, dead and the tender kicks off in a few seconds. Has the Interstate MT 71 in now. Lots of bus board type connections on the positive side and some fuse looking things there. Anything I should know about taking that apart.?? It’s really in a dark hole back there with not much clearance. Also, what battery size is it in US terms. A 34R? Need something with more CCA s than most of those. Will a 24 fit?

19. gburkett

gburkett Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Glenn Burkett
    So following the advice here I finally removed my old battery although it was basically stuck in place. Kept thinking I had missed something but an old fashioned pry bar popped it up. It is recessed a little bit.That whole bus board/fuse block assembly attached to the positive post way back in the dark is the most intimidating thing. After popping the cover off, it looks even more complex. It does come off as a unit and all the wires stay attached so once you have done it the first time, it’s not an issue.Just not the usual thing bolted to your battery in a very dark corner. I have not seen an actual picture of it off the battery so I am attaching one to this thread. Once you pull the battery out, you can access the 10 mm positive post clamping Bolt fairly easily, and you carefully rotate the Whole assembly back and forth to get it to loosen up. I then carefully pried it off the post with a flat head screwdriver. It was an Interstate H8 size MTZ 49, 5 years old. It had a suddenly bad cell which causes instant failure on AGM type batteries the Interstate rep said. I replaced it with the same battery but was not happy to see that They now only warranty this same battery for 30 months, not the 6;year prorated warranty on my used one. Stayed with it only because I had ordered that special battery from them, but hope this is not indicative of poor quality from Interstate now. Other choices had much longer warranties....

599_GTO and Nospinzone like this.
  20. gburkett

gburkett Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Glenn Burkett