Tollroad transponder tape fail | FerrariChat

Tollroad transponder tape fail

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by TestShoot, Dec 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Guys, many of you probably have FastTrak, Express lanes, EZ Pass or other toll road transponders. I am having tape issues, maybe some of you have experienced this too. I own multiple cars but this unit stays primarily in one car.

The tape adheres to the windshield with no errors, but new strips of Velcro will not stick to the transponder itself. I have bought three kinds of tape and even tried a rubber cement and all fail within a week or two. It's like the damned thing is coated in some anti-glue repellent and it is not like the temperatures are through the roof either.

I took a sharp turn with the window open and my cat-like reflexes caught it as it shot out the window. I mean, it was a "Hail Mary" fingertip catch.

No way will I tape it to the dashboard and some of those suction cup holders won't fit into the gap where I need it to.

2. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I just use a silicone mat and set mine on the dash, then put it away when not using the tollway.

Have you cleaned the plastic unit well with acetone and or alcohol before applying the velcro tabs? Our other vehicle’s tab has not let go and it is in the sun all the time, though at a point farther north than you.

3. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I cleaned the plastic, and it failed, then i used crazy glue, and it failed, I am about to try hot glue on a roughed up surface.

4. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I do the same. The adhesive on that Velcro leaves a mess

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

we used to use hot melt for all kinds of applications. I'd recommend using something that remains flexible, not unlike the hot melt used to attach labels to cans. Stays sticky forever.

https://www.amazon.com/Surebonder-H-810R-Performance-Acrylic-Adhesive/dp/B00AF8P7R8/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1514579878&sr=8-12&keywords=flexible+hot+melt+glue+sticks

Maybe this?

Or use those peel strips that 3m makes that are used for hanging stuff on walls? Considering they stay stuck to walls with 50lbs hanging on them?

https://www.amazon.com/Command-Refill-Strips-6-Strips-17023P-ES/dp/B000FCGS5Y/ref=sr_1_8?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1514580095&sr=1-8&keywords=3M+wall+adhesive+strips+removable

D

6. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I have never had the velcro tape come off the transponder. We have had a few where the the velcro tape would come off the windshield. Either from years of heat/sun exposure or not cleaning the windshield well enough before applying. Maybe clean the transponder surface really well, sand it with super fine sand paper, clean again, and then apply a "high" quality velcro tape...

7. mpurcy

mpurcy Karting

Jan 29, 2013
    Oceanside Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I leave it in the tray next to stick shift....it registers just fine.

8. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I have 2 cars and one transponder registered to both license plate numbers. I don’t bother switching the transponder between vehicles. So they just get my license plate when I go through and they seem to find my account transponderless.

308inSD and Streetsurfer like this.
  9. 308inSD

308inSD F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2010
    SD, CA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Similarly, I’m wondering why they need a transponder at all? 73 Toll Road already just snaps a pic of a license plate. Why can’t they do this wherever FastTrack is used?

10. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I suspect you don’t need any transponder at all.

As I said I don’t use the transponder for my second car and I would bet I don’t not need it for the first either. As long as you register your plates against your account I bet you will be fine. I have never had a problem and have been doing this for a couple of years.

11. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I have a 2-character plate, cops even think it is fake, so some older readers have no idea it is real and it triggers CHP to come pull me over to verify. If the transponder fails I 100% get a traffic stop on the 73 or Golden Gate Bridge.

The main car is my very conspicuous red X6M, thick windshield, thick steel, and if it is not up against the glass, it rarely triggers, thus prompting CHP to come say hello.