Ferrari vs. Others | FerrariChat

Ferrari vs. Others

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Arash Behravesh, Dec 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Arash Behravesh

Dec 25, 2017
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    Arash Behravesh
    Hi Everyone.

I am thinking about purchasing an exotic car in the next 12 months or so. The reason for my purchase being so far down the road is that I can't decide what to purchase. I have given myself a budget of approximately $150,000. At this price, there are so many different options to choose that I can't decide.

I have driven the Mercedes Benz AMG GTS and did not like the extra ordinary long hood.

I also have driven a 2015 Porsche 911 Turbo S, I liked the way it handled, but did not feel like anything special.

I want to test drive a Ferrari 458 and California T, but it appears that test driving a Ferrari is not an easy task. I live in Northern Virginia and went to Ferrari of Washington DC to see if I like the California T and/or the 458, but they did not want me to test drive the car until they had a commitment from me!!!! How can anyone make a commitment without test driving the car first?? It's like proposing to someone without seeing or knowing if you have a connection with her/him. Are most Ferrari dealerships like Ferrari of Washington DC?

I love the looks of Ferrari 458. I also like the Ferrari California T. Can anyone tell me more about them? How do they compare to the Porsche 911 Turbo S and the AMG GT?

I have seen some YouTubes regarding both, but I still can't appreciate how they drive compared to Porsche 911 Turbo S and AMG GT. I need someone to tell me the differences and teach me more about each one. More importantly, I need someone to tell me how you go about test driving one.

Thank you so much in advance and I appreciate you taking the time from your busy schedule to teach me about these vehicles.

By the way, has anyone has had any experience dealing with Ferrari of Washington DC?

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I'd look into the Cali T with HS (Handling Speciale) package. In the Cali forum, it seems to garner rave reviews for making the T sportier. As for FoW, I'd ask/search in the appropriate regional sub-forum. However, it's been my estimation, that if they're not enthusiastic about your business before the sale, how are they gonna be after the fact. It's a used F-car, so you can buy it anywhere, and have it shipped. I'd be more concerned with how the service people @ FoW are, moreso than salespeople. Good luck in the hunt...T

3. Scotchguy

Scotchguy Rookie

Jan 2, 2018
    It depends on what your preference and driving experience you like. In my opinion, if you want more of the GT experience, front engine, rear drive and a relatively comfortable drive, the Cali is a good choice. If on the other hand, you want a more involved experience, mid engine, rear drive, more connected and a rougher ride, more of a sports car experience there is nothing like the 458 in my experience. Then there is the NA v/s turbo preference. I am a NA fan.
    As for a comparison, if you were to get a new (997) turbo S, you will find that there are few cars that are as quick and capable. Down side, it doesn't feel as exotic. The AMG is an awesome car, but again a GT experience and has turbos. Very capable as well but again, not as exotic as say the SLS feels.
    I have a 458 and absolutely love it. I test drove a 911, 650S, Lambo, among others. For me, and for my expectations, it was a no brainer.
    As for how to test drive one, find a reputable used exotic dealer, an introduction from a customer would help for sure. Good luck!