Vacuum Tank Implosion. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Vacuum Tank Implosion.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Allen S., Dec 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Steve thanks for checking in. I've cut off the top and the inside has no rust or corrosion that I can tell. Will be bonding the old top with connectors to a 7 x 4 1/4" can so I can run the engine and continue diagnose. As I mentioned, no change in performance before switching off last Saturday. I'm really suspecting the de-frost, heat and air system demanding the Vacuum that collapsed the tank. But will eventually find out.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
  3. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  4. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
  5. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    This makes me recall back in Kindergarten class when a fire marshall would do a demonstration on fire dangers. One display was imploding a gas can by igniting a small amount of combustible vapors inside it. Is it possible that raw gas fumes entered this system and became ignited from a backfire? I haven’t examined the charts layout. I imagine if something was plumbed wrong it might be possible. But I equate this to the system that operated the front axle interlock on my Dodge rather than the charcoal canister of the evap portion. With that it would take an error in plumbing them in order to have this happen, I figure.

Thought you might enjoy this

6. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Crazy videos! That's at a whole other level. Thanks for sharing.
    Fuel vapor run through lines that go to to the Charcoal canister and turn over valve. Interesting thought though.
    BTW Frosty can is going back into storage until next year.

7. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    My can top is now bonded to a 7 x 41/4" can. Ready for trouble shoot and road test. Just need Saturday to arrive to be free to continue. No rain in the forecast this weekend!
    And no I didn't use Frosty.

8. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Road test tank. Same dimension and volume. All worked as normal yesterday without touching Cabin Air System controls.
    Today I will work the de-mist, heat, vent and air. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jeka likes this.
  9. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    The in-line "Non Return Valve" is original and inexpensive to replace so I have one on order and should arrive by the weekend. Decided to replace with new before operating the cabin air controls. I really enjoyed my trouble free driving this weekend. Roads were dry and traction was good. Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Replaced the Non-Return Valve in-line from Vacuum tank to Plenum. Compared the old vs. new and found the old valve was a bit more restrictive when blowing air through. Image shows the 29 year old plastic looking aged. Air flow one-way from Vacuum tank to Plenum. Ready for driving in the morning. Have not yet operated cabin air controls since installing my road test tank.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Thanks to everyone for the feed back to my collapsed tank. Just back from my Saturday morning loop and all is well. Used all Cabin air controls and Vacuum Tank has no change. Car is running happy as ever.
    On some occasions I find that I have bumped the 3 air control buttons and had been driving with them half on half off or just totally out of wack. Will make sure they are full on or full off for now on as I'm sure this was not good for the Vacuum system.

I'm going to continue swapping out original 29 year old plastic bits and sensors this year and will try to share that experience with the Mondial group.

theunissenguido likes this.