488 GTO ? | Page 51 | FerrariChat

488 GTO ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wab0625, Apr 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Ferrari have gone to great lengths trying to eliminate the turbo feeling. I don't think there is a way back and all for the better!

F140C likes this.
  2. 911C4S

911C4S Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2011
    marchionne is not liked because he shows no passion for the brand, he is stock market driven. and what is ferrari all about if not passion?

bonneau13, chrixxx and BarryK like this.
  3. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I also expect the Variable Boost/Torque management to be featured on the GTO, even with (possibly) increased boost values (maybe 1.4 bar in 1,2,3,4th gear and 1.5 in 5,6,7th).

4. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    However one defines passion. Every time I’ve heard him speak of Ferrari he comes across as very passionate about the brand as well as F1. He’s also the top person in the company. So, yes, he needs to be focused on the business. By most any measure (product line, product development, segment dominance, brand development, improved customer service, commitment to heritage, profitability, etc.) he’s doing a very good job. I have some issues with the company but, as a whole, I don’t get why some are constantly whining about him. Because he wears sweaters?

redcaruser likes this.
  5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Any particular design elements/aero features people are hoping to see in the design? I’d like an aggressive hood feature similar to the Enzo and F50.

JagShergill and Shack like this.
  6. Goodman

Goodman Rookie

Mar 2, 2015
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    George
    I currently own a 488 GTB which i use almost daily and i'm very happy with the car. It's fast, comfortable, classy, i can drive it whatever my mood is.., etc...
    Do you think i would be able to do the same with the ¨GTO¨ ?

7. markonex

markonex Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2015
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    What I hope: Active spoiler/aerobrake similar to LaF, dry weight no superior to 458 speciale. 1290kg. As far as torque is concerned, I want a new Getrag transmission to be developed to overcome the 750-760 Nm limit, but likely will come with new successor 498/499

8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It might be a controversial wish but I hope not - I'd like Ferrari to put more differentiation between its cars, so that the GTB remain the best all-rounder and the VS be really focussed for occasional use.

red passion likes this.
  9. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany

This exactly is one of the biggest issues I see within the current portfolio. Every model covers a too broad spectrum. For an occasional supercar experience a less “perfect” car which isn’t as capable for daily usage would certainly satisfy many here.

Bhh, Shack, BarryK and 1 other person like this.
  10. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I wouldn't mind the return of the Speciale's side fins.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  11. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    You clearly didn't go to the 70th anniversary weekend in Maranello in September. His speech wouldn't have woken anyone up even at an accountant's Christmas party.

Full credit to the man for making shareholders happy.

As for the future of F-cars.....his 5-year plan isn't going to be so good for exclusivity, passion etc. in my view.

12. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Agreed. And, side air intakes. The side intakes on my 488 GTB was the main design element that made me really live it. I always felt that the lack of side air intakes on the 458 always held me back from really embracing it.

13. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Given that even SM wouldn't bastardise the GTO moniker on what is in effect a production car, I assume CS, Speciale etc also won't be reused, so what might this car be called or could Speciale be reused now and in the future as a simple generic descriptive for the the slightly more limited, albeit not a proper LE, hardcore V8 special cars?

14. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Whereas a 45 minute ad lib from LDM had you begging to order more cars-utterly captivating as you were drawn into 'the Family'.

chrixxx and BarryK like this.
  15. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I hope this comment doesn't come back to haunt you !

16. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    The TDF doesn't feel heavy at all. Its an aggressive car and for that Ferrari should be lauded, its easy to get the impression the TDF will bite should you not show it due respect. Again Ferrari should be lauded. It appears competition has focussed on extremely easy accessible performance, which is fine but perhaps the problem here is you need to drive very fast to truly feel the car working. Something like a TDF feels special at low speed, likewise the 458 Speciale, a car I truly adore in every respect.

j09333 and Shack like this.
  17. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    LDM certainly is a way more charismatic man and therefore a better person to represent the brand compared to Marchionne. He really is the guy who is responsible for the great shape in which Ferrari is today. On the other hand he is also the guy who wanted the cars to become more usable over time. Starting from a 348, that ambition might be okay. But now we are at a point, where you can daily drive your mid-engined Ferrari sports car like a modern Fiat 500. No wait, the 500 actually is way less comfortable.

What we can see at the moment is still very much LDM’s legacy. I’m not pro or against Marchionne. But we should wait and see what he really brings to the brand. Of course an SUV (if really happening in a predictable way like the Urus) would also bring my opinion about in a rather negative direction. But maybe he copies a different page from the Porsche playbook and offers more variations of one model. So we would get more differentiation and this is what LDM always wanted: Different Ferrari for different Ferraristi.

chrixxx likes this.
  18. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Left to his own devices, SM would have named it 488 NextDividend.

chrixxx likes this.
  19. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Exactly this, how many would contemplate using a 360 CS as a daily driver? Few would be my guess. Make the 488 VS a real "event".

I don't see a return to the GTO name for this car, seems unlikely to me, perhaps something evocative and somewhat controversial like Imola?

red passion and stavura like this.
  20. 911C4S

911C4S Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2011
    i expect to do just that with the GTO. the only issue i count on are the cup tires, which behave badly in rain and cold weather. i have the same problem on the GT3RS and was coping quite well so far - maybe except a serious downpour on the highway which slowed me down to 50km/h and still felt dangerous. it will be fun when i put winter tires on the GTO!!!:::))) i did the same with the 458....

21. 911C4S

911C4S Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2011
    all agreed, but LdM is a high class act:::)))

chrixxx and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

No question. Never said he wasn't. But, he's gone now. Just because Marchionne may not have the same level of charisma or I don't like his personal style, makes no difference to me. I want the person at the top to focus on running a great operation - product, development, category dominance, customer service, racing, heritage, financial health and efficiency. This is 2018, not 1985. Ferrari has always evolved and they continue to do so as a modern concern. I also think they have held-on to many of the things that have historically made them great. Do I love everything going on at Ferrari? No. But, for the most part, Marchionne is doing an excellent job.

23. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    As I noted in the Portofino thread, Ferrari seem to be trying really hard to hide clues on the form of their upcoming cars. There were zero Portofino prototypes (other than Cali mules) for details to be gleaned from and the same seems to be the case for the 'GTO'--expect for the spy pics of the exposed nose of the red car. This is probably done to avoid people like me "predicting" the final shape and posting on FerrariChat, or similar ;-)

Since there are no pics of the "GTO" except for the front--and this could even be misleading, as we have seen with some past models changes can be made at the last minute--I have resorted to wild-a__-guessing, or better yet, imagining an extreme makeover of the 488.

The design is based on the premise that, unlike 458 S and previous specials, more that just the bolt-on parts can be changed. This was done with the F12 tdf where practically only the doors remained unchanged. Also, I tried to imagine "lightening up" the rear quarter--I think the only fault with the current car and 458-- and introduce an open trough to feed the base area at the rear of the car, Ford GT-style.

From what has been shown, we can expect a larger (or dedicated) intercooler opening in the rear quarters and the return of 458 style quarter window air inlet for feeding the engine intake.

Apologies for the rough sketch as not too much time available to clean up and colorize. So enjoy:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Thanks VERY much - Man you are insanely good!!

If it looks anything like your sketch it will be a winner !!