Mclaren Senna. | FerrariChat

Mclaren Senna.

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by rossocorsa, Dec 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rossocorsa

rossocorsa Karting

Jan 29, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Colin
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Function over form.

Me, I prefer form.

LARRYH and Viperjoe like this.
  3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    What relevance has this car which is in no way a competitor and is sold out (allegedly) to this section ?

There are already at least three discussions in more appropriate areas

4. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    I really wanted to like the car, but it just doesnt work for me. The wheels and wheel arches seem too small, the rear wing seems like it should be at least 20cm further back, and the overall look is overcomplicated. I understand the "function over look" statement, but this look will surely refrain many buyers. Especially when you compare it with something like the P1, which is beautiful.

5. Dadr

Dadr Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Is it me or does the rear wing look too small?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I'm sure it is an incredible drive, but I'm not sure how long I could look at it.

7. coralreefer

coralreefer Karting

Oct 1, 2012
    The rear wing should be at least another foot taller!!!

8. roccob01

roccob01 Rookie

Feb 22, 2015
  9. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I dunno, I sort of like it. Maybe it’s more tolerable in black.

Sent from my iPod touch using FerrariChat

10. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    NürScud likes this.
  11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I like it, but not sure about price. 720 to Senna like a 911 Turbo to a 911 GT2 RS.

12. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    I'd take the GT2RS all day over the 'Senna'. Smart money would wait on 760LT (or whatever flavor that takes).

NürScud and rob lay like this.
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I should have completed my thought too, it certainly isn't like a 911 Turbo to a 918 like some would make it out to be.

14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It wouldn’t be horrible without that wing.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I like the aggressive wings, of course I have a 355 Challenge and a GT3.:) I like the RS wing too. It is completely unnecessary and poser if you just use for the street, but it is a HUGE performance advantage on track. Buddy replaced his stock 355 Challenge wing with a more aggressive GT one and it dropped almost a second. I added a front splitter and dropped a second.

16. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    There are wings though and then there is that!

rob lay and IPO1 like this.
  17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    it does even make the RS wing look small. :)

18. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter

LOL. not even the same price range. I'm going to assume based on your postings that you are a broker and involved in brokering porsche cars.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think that's our point, they are trying to make the Senna out to be a 918/P1 type car when really it is a modified 720.

20. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I have p1, 720 and getting senna . Senna is a lot more then a modified 720s. It'll be the fastest road car that mclaren has made so far . I'm looking forward to tracking this thing and seeing what it's all about (hard for me to believe it'll be faster then p1 but the limiting factor of p1 is the person sitting in the drivers sest ).

of2worlds likes this.
  21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, but typically the new model advances so much among exotic companies that it often outperforms the halo car of just one or two generations ago. I'm still not sold the Senna is on par with the P1 in sense of halo. It is more a TdF of a F12 than a La Ferrari like a P1.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  22. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    "...the fastest ROAD CAR that Mclaren has made so far..", this black "functional" thing seems to be extremely out of place, what a nonsens! It is as ridiculous as if someone is visiting in a complete american footbal equipment a game in the stadium. Race track or garage for collecting, but please not on public roads! People will think it's a sports car with a loading bridge, a hyper pick-up with extra holes to stow things.

OK, to each his own, if anyone needs this gig... ;)

23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I mean you no offense with these questions so please don’t take any. I’ve always enjoyed your owners perspective with these hyper cars. The Senna has to be a disappointment to you though, at least aesthetically, does it not? The P1 is so attractive and the 720S really moves the super car game forward on many levels. The Senna may drive fantastically on a track but you said yourself, “road car”. That means the looks still matter it can’t just be a car for out and out performance. If that’s the case no need for it to be road legal and it’s comprimised.

Is the performance increase of the Senna so great over the P1 and the 720S to justify how it looks? Can anything road legal really move the performance needle more than a few seconds on most tracks?

Is the Senna that car that you need to take on the Chin from Mclaren, having pre ordered sight unseen and not wanting to cancel fearing they won’t allocate you a spot with their next hypercar as it could be a masterpiece?

24. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Would love to see a side by side of your P1 and 720. I still think P1 wins looks wise. Look forward to your Senna incoming--when are you expecting to receive it and what color scheme did you get?

25. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    All valid questions.

Initially when I was told about the Senna (many, many months ago); I was told that the car was not a looker, lots of aero and the fastest road car that mclaren has made to date. I was a little disappointed at the time when I was told that it was "not a looker".

As time went on (before anyone had actually seen the senna); the superlatives kept coming by connected people. The superlatives seem to imply that the car was a good looking car. These impressions started to change my expectations (looking back at it now; the superlatives was about the performance rather then the looks).

I was pretty disappointed when the car made it's debut from the pictures that people were posting who were attending the event. As it was happening; I was getting text messages from other owners who had senna allocations and the general feeling was that the looks of the car was not good.

As time has gone on I've gotten more comfortable with the looks and remember back to what I was initially told (not a looker, all about performance).

I never thought about cancelling it based on it's looks. I thought about cancelling it based on how I may be able to use the car on track. P1 brake pads cost $12 to $16K and if you're driving it properly on track it will last 1.5 to 2 days maximum. I'll assume Senna is going to cost around the same amount. That's a lot of $$$ for an amateur driver who just wants to have fun. I don't want to use Senna to go to cars and coffee or to just drive around town.

Regarding cancelling the allocation and impact to the future; I personally don't like how Mclaren is going with how they are allocating the in demand cars. Too many VIP's who don't have the buying history are getting them over people who have bought multiple cars. I'd definitely think cancelling the order would greatly impact the ability to get the next hypercar from Mclaren.

Data, of2worlds and Jo Sta7 like this.