488 GTO ? | Page 53 | FerrariChat

488 GTO ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wab0625, Apr 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. markonex

markonex Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2015
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    1) Surely will be epic, but it cannot leave in the dust the V12 family as if it is the halo car of the Ferrari range; in this view, it cannot do like mecca that declares 720 PS while the real number for the 720S is 770-780 PS, similar to the Senna. I think Ferrari, concerning v8 cars care less about power and more about driving feeling since 2013. Personally, I think that for the track laps fanatics, the major factor for this 488 VS will be the tyres, preferably with Trofeo R or custom Sport Cup like the GT2RS option, for all the others, we will see.

2) They said delayed? Actually the cycle it's similar to the 430-430 scuderia elapsed time, 2004-2007. I think 458 speciale was late in comparison, 2009-2013. I think Ferrari has returned to shorter cycles since Mecca rush for iphone supercars every 6 months.
    Though, if the real plan was to release the VS earlier and they delayed due to the competition raising the bar, well, that's all good :))

2. geertf60

geertf60 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    hamme - belgium

Ingegnere,

Very nice drawing. As Always we know that you have some "extra" information :) . I know it's not the right model discussion but there were mules from the Portofino. Not much, but a few.

Attached Files:

ingegnere likes this.
  3. manya81

manya81 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
    If the 488 replacement will remain aluminium I wonder how they will save weight taking into account the hybrid system

4. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria

Again, NO hybrid system!

Melvok likes this.
  5. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I'm afraid that's a given on the successor and, stand back for the abuse, possibly the 'GTO', so why not. Hardly made a mess of the LF?

6. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Simple, no space

7. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    And they need it to work after 5 days of not being on a charger, which by the way happens to be the size of vacuum cleaner,, like in the LaF. For a LaF that's fine since they spend most of their time preening themselves in a garage, but not for a 488.

Oh, and in a LaF if the system does go flat, that would be 60k euros please. 4 batteries = 1 488GTO :)

8. 911C4S

911C4S Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2011
    why so expensive? most likely ferrari uses the same battery cells as tesla, no?

F2003-GA likes this.
  9. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I don't mean to be facetious but it's the same reason why a Ferrari carbon fibre cup holder for the F12 was a $2300 option.

As long as there are mugs willing to pay the $$$s they will continue to, well, mug them. That is the business model.

But, I do agree with you - I don't think the battery is made from unobtanium.

350MH83 likes this.
  10. V12 Speciale

V12 Speciale Formula Junior

May 22, 2017
    #1310 V12 Speciale, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    We are all waiting for the 488 GTO to be revealed and the wait is killing us all

so.............to keep thing interesting, here is something to chew on......

The 488 GTB won the Motor Trend driver car of 2017. It was only 1 second off of the McLaren P1's time at Laguna Seca. Obviously Laguna Seca doesn't have the longest straights(although hot shot Randy Pobst comment the Twin Turbo power of the 488 is endless). So I ask you all....

......Am I really so crazy with my opinion that the 488 GTO will be faster then the LaFerrari?? Maybe not in a drag race but I'll be on any Circuit or even just Fiorano it will be faster.

As Ive said before. My only two predicts are that it will in fact be called the 488 GTO and that it will be faster then the LaFerrari. Can't wait to see how my predictions pan out

11. 911C4S

911C4S Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2011
    ::::)))))

12. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    You may be right, though honestly the performance margins with cars at this level reach a point of ridiculous to me. For example, I’m a very proud owner of my 488 GTB but it really doesn’t have much to do with the power. Obviously I love that it has enormous capabilities however, I frankly take that for granted. I make the natural assumption that it is remarkable. What matters most to me is it’s design, the visceral impact it gives me and being part of the Ferrari heritage. I’m very excited to see if the 488 GTO inspires me enough to want to order one. The wait is half the fun.

nkhalid likes this.
  13. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    That would be down to what Ferrari's marketing department wants you to hear. For example, according to some of those in the know, the 812 is already as quick or quicker than the tdf because of the lower drag more than offsets the extra weight in some circuits in addition to better 4ws and other chassis control electronics However, the marketing blurb says 0.5 second slower, because that suits them.

I imagine they wouldn't want to unseat Emperor LaFerrari given the next hypercar is a long way away

Also, 488 laptime on Fiorano is 1:23. Laf is 1:19.7. So they need to make another 3.5s. The scuderia and speciale are about 1.5-2s faster than the base cars. So 3.5 seconds is a big ask.

xfrgtr likes this.
  14. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    For your intended use, it doesn't sound like you need an engine in the car. If you are selling, please let me know. I have an idea for a nice glass coffee table :)

15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    488corsa

F2003-GA likes this.
  16. V12 Speciale

V12 Speciale Formula Junior

May 22, 2017

The 430 Scuderia could match the Ferrari Enzo........will history repeat it self......I think so, maybe more

Afonsolaw likes this.
  17. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    True, but that's because the gap between the base E430 and Enzo was only 2 seconds on Fiorano. I think LaF was a huge performance leap, and the base 488 is starting 3.5 seconds behind. That would need a radical increase in power for instance. The Scuderia had a much faster gearbox than the Enzo which would have accounted for the smaller gap, but with LaF, there's less room to go.

I'd love nothing more than to see this car outperform a LaF. I am doubtful but fingers crossed.

xfrgtr likes this.
  18. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I tend to agree... unless if there is a big surprise like drastic carbon fiber use or a big boost in HP. The big boost in HP is much more likely since we are talking turbo V8 engine there is still plenty of room to increase boost and it's the cheepest way to go.

19. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That's a total given, and if they cannot sort that out in the 5 years since the LF was designed, they have some serious problems.

20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    No, the LF battery cells are made by Samsung but are inside specially made cases by Ferrari. It's a tricky set up of four CF cases and some hundreds of cells packed together. It's a lot more complicated than it sounds and it's pure F1 stuff!!! Anyway, a LF is a LF and a 488 VS is nowhere close to it.

21. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    0 out of 2. Can't get worse than that! :D

22. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Made me chuckle! And I agree.

REALZEUS likes this.
  23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #1323 REALZEUS, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    LOL!
    All my best to you Tim! Happy New Year!

24. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    And a Happy New Year to you too!

REALZEUS likes this.
  25. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    You seem to be confusing your opinions for facts.

While I also think both are unlikely, we don't know either for a fact. Unless of course you are Sweater himself masquerading here as know-it-all F-chatter :)