Paint Correction in the PDX/Vancouver area | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Paint Correction in the PDX/Vancouver area

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by tuttavelocita, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 12.3:1

12.3:1 Rookie

Dec 6, 2005
    SNJ
    100% agree with you. but those two points aren't necessarily tied together.

the clear coat on a dark car isn't harder/softer than that on a different color JUST because the base coat is a certain color. it's just what you said, all else equal, a dark car will show damage easier simply because of the color of the base allowing that to happen. but the clear coat could be just as hard as the same car but with a different color.

if i have a c-code paint Mercedes in silver and a c-code paint Mercedes in black, the clear coats are the same hardness between the two cars. but the black will show more damage in more ranges of light because it's black.

if a coating company's data and/or claims and/or marketing is true that the coating is indeed a hard ceramic coat that is harder than production clear coats and a car has particularly soft clear, coating ideally will make that paint less susceptible to marring. that is why i have experienced what i have with the bird poop. it looked like it etched, i mean, it really did...but it did not one bit. it was simply staining that disappeared over time like i was told it would if was simply patient. however, if it was the paint without the coating, it would have surely genuinely etched as what happened all the time with bird poop on car paint. and it happens fast around here. sea gull poop is aggressive.

thankfully there is a lot of feedback on these products available for everyone to review and they can sort the BS from the realities.

2. Mpower4life

Mpower4life Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    back on topic of the orignal thread.....

3. Mpower4life

Mpower4life Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    actually, clear coats do vary in their hardness so I'm not sure where you are gathering your information from.

4. Mpower4life

Mpower4life Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    wow what a turnaround on the Ferrari!

5. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    This is a good thread and it is nice to know of a local artist.
    Whenever I think of paint correction I imagine a process to polish the paint down the bottom of any scratches. Possibly with some glaze to help. Sounds like some of you do this regularly for your car. Do you worry about the thickness of the clear coat or paint?