488 Advice on valve switcher mods ! | FerrariChat

488 Advice on valve switcher mods !

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Amynox, Jan 5, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Amynox

Amynox Rookie

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    Amynox
    Hi everyone,

I just got my 488 spider and I really love it ! BUT :

I like LOUD cars !!! ... I noticed that the valve open at 3/3,5 rpm in sport mode (i live in Paris so race mode is not the way to go everyday with the ****ty weather... even in race mode is not that good as the gearbox hurry to be at 7th gear) and after forum diggin I found that there are many mods to open/close the valve on demande despite the rpm/speed.

Did some of you try this mods ? Are they safe for the car engine (no engine warnings led) ? There is a noticeable difference in sound at low rpm (specially in sport mode) ? Which one do you advice (forza, Capristo...) ?

Thank you so much for your help

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #2 Shadowfax, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    I'm using the Forza B2A. The valve open mode can be handy when driving around slow if you want that extra noise. I had my dealer install mine - no big deal they said. The head Tech also said there was no harm to the engine or warranty using the controller however did say that the engine would perform at its best in the stock mode during sporty driving. Sport mode is where I mostly leave mine although depending on road surface I will use the bumpy road shock setting in sport mode.
    I found the service and advice from Steve excellent and would highly recommend. [email protected]

Amynox likes this.
  3. carlom001

carlom001 Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2010
    Agree-have used Steve's unit on my 458 Aperta, F12 and F12TDF. Have just ordered again for my 812 and is being installed next week. Very reliable, easily installed and would not even think of having a F car without this.

Amynox and Shadowfax like this.
  4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    You've got a nice line up of F cars going on there carlom001! And agree a Forza unit is the best way to solve any noise issues without screwing up the cars warranty.

Amynox likes this.
  5. carlom001

carlom001 Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2010
    Thank you! with respect to warranty yes there is no issue as the dealer happily instals the unit as part of their pre-delivery

6. Nel1

Nel1 Karting

Jul 11, 2012
    Depends on the dealer. My local dealer absolutely will not install a valve controller. Furthermore, they told me that they will void the warranty if a controller gets installed. Bummer as I would love to be able to control the valves.
    It seems that dealers have different views so, if the car still under warranty, it might be a good idea to check with your local guys before proceeding.

7. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I also had Steve’s Forza unit installed in my 488 by my dealer. He recommended it to me so no warranty issues here.
    Highly recommended

Amynox likes this.
  8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Just disconnect these two connectors (under airfilter 458) and the exhaust is opend full all the time (458) ...

But we are experimenting in building (diy) a small device for under $100 right now ...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

F485 likes this.
  9. Amynox

Amynox Rookie

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    Amynox
    #9 Amynox, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Thank you All for your replies.

So i guess the Forza Model B2 is the way to go...

My dealer tell me that in some case installing this kind of module can light up the Engine warning led in the car dashboard ?! Did some of you experience this issue or do i need to do something during the module installation to avoid this issue ?

thx

10. Amynox

Amynox Rookie

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    Amynox
    I contacted Steve and he was very helpful answering my questions.

About engine fault question, Steve said “ The controller module has a circuit inside it that emulates a closed circuit when in fact you have opened the circuit to make the valves go to open condition. This emulation circuit makes the car’s ECU believe that the circuit is complete to avoid the engine fault light.‘

I just have one specific 488 question, where do you secure the module (from the heat...) ? Do you have it installed in an accessible place (let’s say to pair another remote controller by your self to avoid going back to the dealer)? Can you send picture of the module placement please ?

Thank you

11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Dealer opted to mount on left hand side behind the rear behind wheel. They had fitted these units before to other customers cars and felt that was the better position away from any heat. The rear bumper was also removed at that stage to install the My-Ricambi carbon tail light satellites but may not require removal for the unit.

As shown in pics the inner splash guards were removed and the unit affixed to the rear of the wheel-well accordingly. I recall buying the longer cable although you will see a section of cable bunched up and cable tied off onto the unit so I'm not sure if the short cable would be long enough. Steve may be of more help there.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Amynox and spyderman like this.
  12. aggiestckl

aggiestckl Karting

Jul 15, 2016
    Doylestown, PA
    Does this throw an engine fault if you unplug these?

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    No it does not as far as I know. Just try, cost you only work and no money !

Show us photo's of all stages please; more readers will follow you !

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Thanx for showing us !!

15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016