Lower shock bush - anybody know this type ? | FerrariChat

Lower shock bush - anybody know this type ?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Gottaloveit, Jan 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gottaloveit

Gottaloveit Karting

Jul 12, 2012
    Gents - have been having a look at the rear suspension on the 355 (1994 - 2.7), and the LHS lower shock bush is "mobile". By that I mean I can wiggle the central metal section of the bush by finger pressure quite easily - FUBAR I thought ?.

Having looked again and after comparing it with a new replacement which is the trad solid rubber variety - it seems to be of a different construction to that, in that the central metal section appears to in a sort of gaiter arrangement - i.e to allow movement.

Is this the case with what I think is the original bush? - as the bush might not be FUBAR in that case.

Anyone come across these on their car ??

Happy new year to all by the way

L

2. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    My low miles 355 originals are the same, and they actually feel like spherical joints, in which case they should be able to move in more than one plane quite freely. These are usually expensive to replace and I know on other cars that people often fit cheaper rubber or poly bushes which do not afford the same level of movement.

Having not stripped out the bush I am unable to confirm this is the case with the 355 though.

3. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Yes they are Spherical Bearings....aka Pillow Ball Bearing

4. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Great, in which case they are doing what they are supposed to do. In order to identify wear in such hold them between your finger and thumb and try to push forwards and backwards, up and down the both ends at the same time, you will feel any slop in the bearing, if they just rotate round a centre point that is what they are designed to do

5. Gottaloveit

Gottaloveit Karting

Jul 12, 2012
    Thanks guys - that's really good info cheers.

6. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hey Bruce. Please send me a text. Phone died, lost contact info!

7. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    As usual it was really nice to hear from you John!!
    Glad I called you before seeing this post...LOL