26805 Restoration Begins | Page 6 | FerrariChat

26805 Restoration Begins

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by wda24729, Oct 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Getting things carried out by others is my Nemesis! :(

2. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Ok this is a strange one. I separated the gearbox from the prop and both gearbox and prop spin as they should, forward and reverse, although I would say the reverse on the gearbox is quite stiff (not sure if that's normal).

Then I re-connect the two and again both spin in reverse until the very last tightening of the nuts, then the wheels won't budge in reverse. Just loosen the nuts very slightly and the wheels spin again. All works fine going forward at all times!

Ive missed the gearbox person now and just wondered if anyone had any ideas?

3. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    I believe you are "binding" the prop shaft either too long or too short, there are slip couplings on both ends of the shaft and there is a specification on a certain amount of play the shaft needs to "float" in place. So if it is short, as you bolt together, the trans mounting bolts draw the shaft forward and it locks up, if the shaft is too long, same problem, only you are "pushing" the shaft to the rear.
    Loosen the front or rear coupling enough to allow the prop shaft to collapse or expand as needed, and make sure there is an amount of endplay to allow the shaft to move a bit as things get warm and expand before you tighten the slip couplings.
    Hope I can help.

Gary

4. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Hi Gary, yes exactly that. I managed to fathom it out by releasing the rear coupling, bolted up the gearbox / prop flange plate and ensuring there was movement in the wheels and then tightening the rear coupling again. What threw me was the forward travel was unaffected.

Turning the wheels in reverse is still stiffer than forward but this was the same on the gearbox when it was released.

Thanks for your input and confirming the issue. I'll also take your tip to release again and let things move when warm.

5. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Looking great! Nice work, and moving quickly too!

6. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    She's back in! :) All quite straightforward, the trickiest issue trying to thread the gearbox dipstick tube down through at the same time...another stupid design

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ak Jim, rovexienus, D.J and 3 others like this.
  7. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Programme of works is now disrupted! I forgot the airboxes go on before the carbs and I hadn't gotten around to refurbing those in the meantime! :(

Now, satin or wrinkle finish?? I noticed when I starting stripping them there was evidence of black smooth paint under the wrinkle....hmmmmm, the plot thickens!

8. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Ignore my previous comment about the airboxes going on before the carbs...I think the paint stripper fumes had got to me!

Anyway, all ready for preparation. Im torn between wrinkle and satin. Anyone want to offer some opinions before I commit? :)

9. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA
    Mine are a soft wrinkle if that makes sense. they do look good. Great thread and a good benchmark for my restoration.

rusty69911 likes this.
  10. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    I have an original brochure from 1976 when the 400GT first was launched. I'm pretty sure that car is pictured with wrinkle finish airboxes. I can double check :)

11. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    Definitely at least some 400s were satin black originally, possibly some were wrinkle finish.

Probably most 365GT4 were wrinkle, probably some were satin.

They are the same part number but on 365s, the number is stamped, on 400s the number and "FERRARI" is pressed into the body.

(Euro spec. 365GTC4 were satin, U.S. spec. were wrinkle - different part numbers and construction.)

Regards

WM

12. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Which ever finish are you going use are you going to power coat them?

13. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Well I went for a compromise in the end....wrinkle on the outside, satin inside! :) Thanks for the tips chaps.

I used the same wrinkle paint as used for the cam covers and air ducts. Pleased with results. Just waiting for the seals and I have to plate the clips.

Schumi and rusty69911 like this.
  14. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #139 wda24729, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Taking shape now. Just waiting for some silicone hoses, which although Im not a great fan of aesthetically, but in typical Ferrari fashion, the top connection between block and radiator has to change in diameter quite significantly which puts quite a strain on the rubber hoses.

Schumi, larryg and rusty69911 like this.
  15. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    Looks fabulous - if mine looked so good I would be afraid to use it!

16. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Looks GREAT.............................................................................................................

pity about the dipstick on the middle left of the pic though :(

17. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    What do you mean.... Am I missing something??

Still waiting for the silicone hoses! Also wasn't happy with the wrinkle on one of the air boxes so stripped it again and repainted. That was after I decided to install it with the trumpets, filters etc......another 4 hours of my life taken up :(

18. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    You,unfortunately,only have two pedals with which to operate your iconic carburettored powered Ferrari! :D

19. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Oh yeah, I get it! Even worse its an iconic V12 Ferrari:(

20. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    At least he's GOT his!

21. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Actually you should be thanking us Auto boys....your cars wouldn't be worth as much without us! :)

larryg likes this.
  22. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Yeah,Yeah,yeah,spoke to Marc last week.....it's getting there.
    BTW can you crank up junior for me some time...

23. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Marc's back? I'm too scared to drive junior - you know why...

24. MrL

MrL Rookie

May 26, 2013
    England, UK
    Where are you getting your silicone hose from.
    I'm just waiting for a quote to have them produced and wrapped in 'classic style fabric' as to avoid the shiny finish of silicone.

25. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    At my local 'hose' shop, where I had my braided gearbox lines made up. They're in place now and actually don't look too bad, however that pesky joint between the water pump and timing cover is weeping...had to be that one didn't it!