Alternate tire sizes for 599 | FerrariChat

Alternate tire sizes for 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by More-Power-Man, Dec 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. More-Power-Man

Nov 13, 2017
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kelly Crawford
    I'm having trouble finding an all season tire to fit my 2008 599, 245-35R-20 and 305-35R 20. I was wondering if anyone one knows if a 255-35R-20 and 315-35R-20 will have any problems fitting on the rims or rubbing.

2. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I changed tires on my ‘09 599 to MPSS so the rears got 315/35/20. They work fine in sport or race settings. However in wet /ice settings, the traction control does not like the size change and the system intervenes very early. At 20-25 mph turns, the traction control will engage the rear brakes. The dealer installed the tires so they checked out the system and said the bigger rear tires change the ratios. Assuming you want all-season tires for wet/slippery road conditions, the 315s could be problematic. Maybe the 255 fronts may get the ratios back in spec? I don’t know if they fit.

3. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I just put the new Conti Extreme Contact Sports on my 599 in stock sizes - 2453520 and 3053520. LOVE them!! Big improvement over both the PZeros and the Super Sports, IMO. I'm a tire distributor and carry all three brands, so no basis among any of the brands, just thought they dramatically improved the ride over the other models. I've also been out to the Conti Test Facility in Uvalde and did head to head comparisons out there with other cars. Left very impressed.

Let me know if you have trouble finding what you need, I should have them in stock whenever you are ready to buy.

Gershwin likes this.
  4. More-Power-Man

Nov 13, 2017
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kelly Crawford
    #4 More-Power-Man, Dec 24, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Jakermc,

I was thinking about those and have those on my Porsche Macan. I have a fleet account with Michelin and the prices are about 40% less under my account. I will consider the Continental if they are all season so please let me know the cost.

Thanks for your input.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There is no difference in how the stability control looks at 315 rear tires vs 305 rear tires. The 315s are nowhere near large enough to affect ABS/stability control. There is a huge difference in the way the system treats the wet/ice settings compared to the normal modes, however, regardless of 305s vs 315s.

6. More-Power-Man

Nov 13, 2017
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kelly Crawford
    I was wondering about that. It doesn't make much sense to me since the size difference is only .4 of an inch. Tread wear from new to warn isn't much less than that. The Ferrari dealer in Scottsdale, AZ didn't have a solid answer either way. The only thing I could realistically see happening is that my speedometer may read a little slower than actual speed with the slightly larger in diameter tires.

Any other input is greatly appreciated.

7. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    The Ferrari dealership (FOSF)had a technician ride with me in my 599 and observed the early intervention of the traction control during slow, easy turns about 20 mph in the wet/ice setting. They could not find any faults in the system. Concluded is has to be the larger rear tire since there was no issue with standard tire size. I also had a tech at an independent shop check the system, he was factory trained on the 599. He found no fault with the traction control. What else could it be then the larger tire?

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Beats me, but unless the front to rear differential in diameters gets up around 5%, the ABS/D.C. does not care. Why are you using that mode, at any rate? The normal mode is fine in the wet if the throttle is used judiciously. If there is ice or the temperature is near freezing and wet, the summer tires do not work at all and she should be parked or winter tires fitted.

9. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I usually just drive in sport mode. However, on the freeway when cruising for some distance would be nice to soften up the suspension on the long drives. Just a bit of an annoyance.

10. More-Power-Man

Nov 13, 2017
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kelly Crawford
    I looked up and got the specs on the two sizes of tires. the 315 has an outside diameter of 28.7 and the 305 has 28.4, a difference of .3 of an inch. The tread depth on these tires is 10/32 which is .3125 of an inch. If the seranio of .3 of an inch screws up the traction control then every 599 would have problems with it when the tires are worn out. I have a hard time believing that the system is this sensitive. I will try the 315s so I can get the all season tires, and if I have problems, I will definitely post it.

11. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    The Conti I mentioned is a Summer Extreme Sport tire. The equivalent all-season Conti would be the DWS, though that model is being discontinued. There is still some stock out there in many sizes if you do explore that option, though I only have the newer models (the summer tire) in stock.

12. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Would you expand upon what you mean improvement over the super sports? I’ve got to put 4 on my 599 and was going that route due to others positive feedback. Interested in your thoughts on the continental.

13. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Versus the SuperSport, IMO the new Conti has superior wet weather traction, smoother ride, and steering and cornering grip that is roughly on par. The big improvement with the Conti is the steering input. The old DW tire really lagged in this category and they made a huge jump here.

Given that I don't consider the 599 a track car, the ride quality gives the nod to the Conti. My personal experience, and also feedback were are hearing in the Shop, is that the SuperSports seem to amplify road and car imperfections. The Conti is much better in this regard. And they have always been the industry standard in the wet for performance tires.

I have not tracked the Conti yet, so no feedback on its performance at the limit. The SuperSport certainly shined here, a tire you could beat up all day on the track and it never gets greasy if you keep pressures in check. Very impressive in this regard, but the 599 is not my weapon of choice for this environment so therefore not my tire of choice.

The Pzero stinks. Less grip than the others and the ride quality falls off a cliff as the tread wears down. Horrible on the track and on the street.

14. More-Power-Man

Nov 13, 2017
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kelly Crawford
    Update:

I just got Continental Extreme Contact all season tires in 255 for the front and 315 for the rear. No problem with the traction control coming on when in wet/ice setting as mentioned in the beginning of this thread. I am very impressed with the handling, traction and most of all the quieter and smoother ride than the Perrelli PZeros. For my environment here in a mountain town at 7000 feet elevation, this is definitely the tire for my 599.

15. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Re setting the manettino to "Wet" or "Icy", I was advised or warned by the service manager at FSB last week that using either setting tends to reduce clutch life. He recommended using either the Sport or Race setting wherein the 599 TCU engages the clutch faster at relative 100% engagement. He said to just ease up and be judicious in applying the accelerator on wet surfaces in Sport or Race mode. Since I live in SoCal, I'll never have a problem with snowy or icy conditions during winter months. Likewise as Terry mentioned, why risk using ultra or max summer tires on icy roads (or why even drive any Ferrari, except the FF and Lusso models, on ice)?

Apparently, the Wet or Icy setting lowers the clutch engagement to about 75%, whereas Reverse engages at an even lower 60%. He said one of their customers who lived in a hilly home wore the clutch down to nothing in less than 5,000 miles because the owner used to back his Ferrari up a hilly driveway to park it in his garage very time.

I'll probably be looking to replace 4 tires soon because I'm simply disappointed with the PZeros which are harsh and noisy on lane markers, and uncomfortable in the Sport or Race settings. I've been checking out MPSS or MPS4 with the larger 315's on the rears since I've exclusively been using superb all season Michelin AS3+ on my SL55-AMG and CLS550 for years and satisfied. However this discussion has now opened my mind about Contis, also since my salesperson at FSB said per his experience that the Conti Extreme Contact tires were better in terms of highest comfort and lowest noise, but he did complain that they wore much faster than Michelin or Pirelli ultra HP summer tires. Not a bad compromise based on one's priorities and perspectives.

16. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I had 315 MPSS on my car and noticed no difference with the traction control in the wet setting.

17. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Got my new MPSS today.
    Front 255/35 20
    Rear 315/35 20

Car is much smoother than with the Bridgestone runflat.
    Handling is much better, but it wasn't really possible to test it today on the way home.
    I like the higher flange of the front tires.
    :)

Only problem
    The new TPMS sensors don't work.
    Calibrate not possible.
    TPMS failure
    Tire dealer can't copy the old datas to the new HUF sensors, the software gives no possibility to learn HUF Sensors at the 599 GTB

:(

Daniel

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Checked some old posts to TPMS themes.
    My fault : Pressed the calibrate button with running engine.

Try the correct procedure end of this week.

I have to say, with the MPSS the car drives much less "bitchy/touchy".
    Don't know if the old Bridgestone rear tires are the reason, or the MPSS fits better to the 599.

Daniel

19. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    My bad English
    :(

I like the higher "flank" of the front tires (not flange)

255/35 20 instead of 245/35 20

Daniel

20. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    My local tire dealer was able to find MPSS in 255/ZR35-20 fronts and 315/ZR35-20 rears in K2 spec at prices lower than TireRack, so had them installed in my 599 today. Huge improvements over the OEM Pirelli P7's: much quieter; less harsh, softer ride; no more very loud, jarring thuds when hitting road markers or ruts, just relatively muted thuds; but most importantly, better / neutral handling with relatively faster response. All around improved ride quality; very happy and satisfied am I.

My question: Is there any special code or symbol on these tires' outer wall that signifies them to be Ferrari "K2" spec?

21. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
  22. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Im running 255 35 20 and 315 35 20 Pirelli Corsas and they are a huge improvement over the P Zero. Never going back to PZero. I ran MPSS and they were great. The Michelins were not available when I needed new tyres so I went for the Corsas in Ferrari spec and am pleased with them. The size also fills the wheel arches quite nicely and I have had no problems with rubbing or check lights. The front turns in better and the extra grip at the rear helps a lot for launches off the mark. The PZeros would spin trying to find traction the Corsas just grip. Next time round I may try the Contis.

23. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    The 255/35 20 and 315/35 20 are the perfect sizes for the 599.
    Like Frosty said, they also look much better.

Frosty, how many miles/Km do you think you can drive the Corsa tires ?

Daniel

24. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Daniel I have no idea about mileage maybe 6 to 8,000 km which is about 4 to 5,000 miles. I really don't consider tyre life that much I just want grip. I had a set of Michelin Pilot Cup 2 tyres which I wore out after 2 separate track sessions. They were great tyres. I will see how I go when I do my first track day on the Corsas if they handle as well as the Michelins I will be happy if not I will give them a good work over to wear them out and try the Contis. I have HGTE which does improve the handling a lot over the non HGTE set up as well as the gear shifts.

Tyre life simply comes down to how you make use of the throttle, punch it at a stand still and you will get rear wheel spin which reduces tyre life if your more judicious in the use of the the throttle and do not do track days you will have significantly longer tyre life.

25. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed