Insurance on car post-purchase pre-arrival | FerrariChat

Insurance on car post-purchase pre-arrival

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by C50, Nov 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I spoke to State Farm about insuring a car purchased on the mainland
    They said they won't insure until the car is on the island
    Has anyone encountered this and what was your solution?
    Thanks

2. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    That's absurd. I insure my collector cars in from the mainland insured by Hagerty with them knowing I want it insured in the event the car fall into the ocean I am covered. They said no problem. Matter of fact, Horizon Lines damaged one of my cars and didn't want to acknowledge it. I just had Hagerty handle it and they paid out I questions asked.

3. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    never heard of that.... many policies (not sure if it by state) cover new car purchase for a certain number of days before you call to add it to your policy

4. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Total BS. USAA insures my cars in two states and everywhere in between, including while in a container en route.

5. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I had the same issue with State Farm and Geico 28 years ago. Went with Island Insurance for two years, until I got USAA, worked out fine and was reasonably priced.

6. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Thanks for the tip
    I’ll check them out
    Out of curiosity, were you ever given an explanation?

7. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    They couldn't write a delayed policy that would only go into effect when the car reached shore. It had to be in effect when they wrote it and everyone signed the document. Their underwriters didn't want to be insuring the shipping company, essentially. Also, at the time, maybe still, their license with the state wouldn't allow them to insure out of state. So they would not insure until the car was registered and inspected on the island. Makes a little bit of sense to me, but I would think there would be legal ways to write a contract around that issue.

8. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Thanks for that
    That does make some sense although I've not heard of anyone cancelling preexisting insurance for the shipping. Maybe they'll suck it up if they're already enjoying your premiums, but won't take the risk if it's a new item. Can't blame them, although it's called insurance for a reason. Maybe make the premium higher for the duration of the transit?
    Regardless of the rhyme or reason, it's annoying.
    Eventually I'll work out a solution and post it up.